Examkrackers 101 Passages - Verbal Test 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Romz

Pharm.D ➡️ M.D.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Verbal test two passage one in Examkrackers 101 has (what I believe to be) a grammatical flaw.

The author opens upon his argument with "The concepts of right and wrong and good and evil, in a universal sense, are irrational, and, as such, are valueless and even damaging to society." (1-3).

In lines 31-34, he explores the issue more, saying that "Although the concepts of right and wrong cannot stand alone as universal truths, right and wrong can be qualified in a deterministic sense, not only allowing moral judgments but requiring them."

A question asks

"A religious man says "It's wrong to have sex before marriage." The author would most likely argue:"...

I chose C) There is no right and wrong concerning sex before marriage because the idea I got is that there is no right or wrong - only self-truths used to increase our own fitness in the world.

My problem is that the correct answer choice is B) Sex before marriage may or may not be wrong depending on the circumstances.

OK...but the pathology to my choice is that:

"The author never argues that there is no right or wrong. On the contrary, he refers to the concepts of right and wrong as being required (Lines 31-34)".

Here is my question;

The author did NOT say that - he said that right and wrong require moral judgments - not that right and wrong are required? I'm getting really confused on this one. Help decoding the phrasing would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

EK101 is full of poor answers and answer explanations. This is likely one of them.

Don't get too hung up on it. Use EK101 to get the timing down, especially for reading the passage.

Then transition to TPRH Verbal Workbook or the AAMC resources to work on questions and get some predictive value.

EK101 is full of poor answers and answer explanations. This is likely one of them.

Don't get too hung up on it. Use EK101 to get the timing down, especially for reading the passage.

Then transition to TPRH Verbal Workbook or the AAMC resources to work on questions and get some predictive value.

Alright thanks you - I'm glad to hear this. I'll take your advice and get the timing down.

EK 101 is stupid, terrible, [insert an synonym you choose].

Time maybe somewhat useful. Don't waste too much time trying to figure out why even through you reasoned correctly the answer choice you selected was wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Verbal test two passage one in Examkrackers 101 has (what I believe to be) a grammatical flaw.

The author opens upon his argument with "The concepts of right and wrong and good and evil, in a universal sense, are irrational, and, as such, are valueless and even damaging to society." (1-3).

In lines 31-34, he explores the issue more, saying that "Although the concepts of right and wrong cannot stand alone as universal truths, right and wrong can be qualified in a deterministic sense, not only allowing moral judgments but requiring them."

A question asks

"A religious man says "It's wrong to have sex before marriage." The author would most likely argue:"...

I chose C) There is no right and wrong concerning sex before marriage because the idea I got is that there is no right or wrong - only self-truths used to increase our own fitness in the world.

My problem is that the correct answer choice is B) Sex before marriage may or may not be wrong depending on the circumstances.

OK...but the pathology to my choice is that:

"The author never argues that there is no right or wrong. On the contrary, he refers to the concepts of right and wrong as being required (Lines 31-34)".

Here is my question;

The author did NOT say that - he said that right and wrong require moral judgments - not that right and wrong are required? I'm getting really confused on this one. Help decoding the phrasing would be appreciated.

The author is against universalism or "universalizing." He seems to say that "universalizing" that certain things are ALWAYS right or ALWAYS wrong in every last situation that ever was or ever will be, is bound to erroneous. You cannot accurately generalize like that. Instead of generalizing, universalizing, and using "faith," one must take specifics (or deterministic causes) into consideration to determine right or wrong.

"The word "deterministic" means that every action that has been performed has its own predictable causes." Source: http://references-definitions.blurtit.com/35133/what-does-deterministic-mean-

Choice C is a distortion. It takes what the the author said a step further or beyond what's in the passage.

Princeton Review Verbal Passages will help you more than the Krack.

"Deterministic" implies that right and wrong will inevitably be determined provided the context of a situation. Not that they don't exist.