ping3pong

10+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
so i just got a 6 on the first practice test. am i doomed? I did badly on the SAT verbal too.

kabirm

5+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2009
Status
let me just say one thing to you.. I teach SAT now... I got 740 on my SAT when I took it when i was younger (Reading section).. And at times I pull 7 on VR....highest 10.. I feel you...

SuperSaiyan3

7+ Year Member
May 13, 2009
Status
I took the SATs. 3x.

Writing that test was a monster. And what's even worse is that I was at that gap where they changed how the SAT was scored (I think it went from 1600 to 2400?? Didn't they add in a whole new section of verbal??!)

I never wanted to go to the states. I live in friggin Canada. My dad is Asian and he's always in a hypercompetition with his friends to see whose kids can get into a better school. Frankly, I never cared and never studied or tried on those tests. He wouldn't let me NOT write the test (biggest waste of money ever. he made me take that godforsaken 1000$ SAT prep course and paid to make me take the SAT THREE TIMES), so I just went and guessed like crazy on all of the sections, purposely trying to get a low mark so I wouldn't have to go to the states.

I don't even come from a rich family. My parents run a convenience store. This just goes to show how much pressure asian children are in by their 1st generation parents who think getting into the right schools will help them achieve their goals in life. My dad want me to have no fun and no social life till I finished school and secured a good job in life. By which time, I would most likely be in my late 30s and my penis would most likely be flaccid. No thank you. NO BLOODY THANKS.

I'm telling you my life story because I'm trying to cheer you up by comparing your abysmal scores to my crappy childhood. At least you had a choice to take the test. At least you chose to fail at something. I never had one.

- SS3 :luck:

sponnal

10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2009
Status
Non-Student
so i just got a 6 on the first practice test. am i doomed? I did badly on the SAT verbal too.
Hi ping3 - keep doing a lot of practice passages, and don't spend too much time on each question. Especially in verbal, where you have 10 min. less than the sciences (60 min. vs 70 min.), time is a major factor. So even though sometimes it may be tempting to finish answering a question before moving on, remember that there may be easier questions ahead, and finish those q's before coming back to the skipped one.
Hope this helps.

ziggydoc

Growing a Heart
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
EK verbal is very good, but the passages are actually a paragraph shorter than the real thing, so if you are running out of time, you need to read faster, however, if it is just that you are not getting the material, I would suggest just reading books you enjoy for fun while taking breaks from studying, even just for a few months, you will see a huge improvement, and it won't even feel like you are doing work.

Compass

Squishy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2006
Status
Compass' Verbal Resuscitation Analytical Special Action Plan (VR-ASAP)!
This strategy gave me an 11:

Practice full-lengths. Map, map, map.

Following 5 journals online.

SciAm
PopSci
Archaeology
Economist
Wall Street Journal

Find a decent article. Map the first 7 FULL paragraphs. Single-sentences are lame. Map. Give your map to your friend and have him ask questions based solely on the topic and the map you have made.

Do once or twice a day.

Repeat!

OP
P

ping3pong

10+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
thanks for the responses guys. i guess i'll try to do more passages and hope my score increases

Jul 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
If it helps any I got an 8 on the first practice test in the 101 book and ended up with a 13 on the real thing (my best test in the book was an 11). Get the examkrackers verbal reasoning techniques book and read it first and then do the 101 passages the strategies they teach are very helpful.

May 3, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
My dad want me to have no fun and no social life till I finished school and secured a good job in life. By which time, I would most likely be in my late 30s and my penis would most likely be flaccid. No thank you. NO BLOODY THANKS.
:laugh:

vandyam

Vulnera Sanentur
5+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2009
Dirty South
Status
Medical Student
I took the SATs. 3x.

My dad want me to have no fun and no social life till I finished school and secured a good job in life. By which time, I would most likely be in my late 30s and my penis would most likely be flaccid. No thank you. NO BLOODY THANKS.

- SS3 :luck:
Lmao!!! This quote just made my week.