1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Examkrackers is not cutting it for the Physical Sciences, any recommendations?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Atlas80, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Atlas80

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I'm taking the July 18 MCAT. I have been using Examkrackers and the physical science is too brief I have discovered. Anyone got recommendations for what I can use for the Physics and Chemistry. I would also appreciate any ideas for the Bio. I took the June 13 test and there was a ton of genetics on it, something EC just skims over.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Check out Nova Physics and Berkeley Review's stuff. In Physics, Berk and Nova are supposed to be about equal, but BR is supposed to be by far the best in gen chem.

4. Atlas80

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Got a link I can follow to Berkeley stuff? I am not having much luck finding it on Amazon. Thanks a lot.

5. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  6. Atlas80

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
  7. mytoechondriac

2+ Year Member

I just went to their website to try to order their gen chem books, but it's kind of weird... like you have to mail in a piece of paper and sign it and send a CHECK, and they process it 10 days later or something. I couldn't find any links to buy it with a credit card and to have it shipped right away.

I tried to do this after getting 2 hours of sleep only last night... Am I being ******ed? Or is this really the only way you can buy their books?

8. seraph524

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    For physical sciences, I would actually recommend Princeton Review books for AP chemistry and AP physics B (not C, C is the calculus based one).

9. Atlas80

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    7th Edition. I am pretty sure that is the most recent one.

Earlier I meant the Kaplan Premier Program. How is that? Seems it is a bit late to get the Berkeley.

10. dreams

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I had the same problem with EK for PS section, I ordered the physics and the gen chem from TBR and they are great!!! pay by money order and you will get them a lot faster, I know its a pain to mail it all in but its worth it for sure, no clue for the genetics problem I am worried as well

11. Atlas80

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Sounds like TBR is great. However, I am taking it in a month and I am afraid it will take too long to get it.

12. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think TBR and TPR are both good and have used each on physics.

I would recommend the berk review though due to the ten practice passages after each of the ten chapters.

I like BR for gchem, ochem, and physics. The new verbal book is not bad. The passages remind me of EK (but they are longer) but the questions are too easy in my opinion. But, still I think they are good to practice with reading speed and format. It has 14 complete practice tests.

The biology is weak and completely over the head of what is needed. I would use something like EK or TPR and supplement it with a good text that explains genetics, transcription/translation, reproduction, etc. I would focus less on the physiology stuff as it appears that it is becoming less important. I would just get the basics down there.

13. twinnie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    not sure about the premier program, but after looking at EK and Kaplan, TPR is the way to go for Physical Sciences. especially their classroom books. i think you can order those online

14. Atlas80

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Can you provide me a link? All I can find is Cracking the CBT. I do not have the time or money to sign up for the class.

15. J ROD

Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    As far as I know, the only way to get the TPR classroom books are if you take the class. I got mine from a friend!

They are good but not as good as TBR.

16. JA Prufrock

JA Prufrock Serenity Now!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Whe you say TBR>TPR for physics, are you basing that on their review, as well? You're probably right that TBR is better overall since it has so many practice passages, but I'm just curious which one is more effective for content review.

17. J ROD

Resident [Any Field]
    I used TPR last time and I am using TBR this time. So, I can speak from direct experience.

For content, I think a combo of both is really good. Sometimes, one source explains one section better than the other. TPR is a little more detailed than TBR. But, I like how TBR presents it.

Overall, once I factor in the practice passags from TBR that are hard and challenging, I have to give them the edge. I think you can get there with both. I just need extra info on Physics because it is my weakest knowledge section.

18. engineeredout

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I personally think that the EK physics book and 1001 questions are great. I wish I had these back when I was taking physics. The 1001 Q book is great for really drilling things down in your head, and the actual problems in the book were difficult and really make you think.

19. paranoid_eyes

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    im using NOVA physics and TPR