Examkrackers, Kaplan, or TPR prep course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedgrl1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In your opinion, what MCAT prep course works best?

I originally decided to go with Kaplan, but after talking to a few people who all claim they were scoring higher on the Kaplan practice tests, but lower on the actual MCAT, I've had second thoughts.

I also heard that EK material is much easier to comprehend.

Let me know your thoughts. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I went with kaplan on demand for my last MCAT and got a 33, was kind of hoping for a 34 but a 33 was comparable to the range of scores I got in their practice tests. I do feel their VR is piss poor though. My first time with the MCAT I got TPR materials only and tried to do my own thing and got a 27, but I didn't put nearly the amount of time or number of practice tests under my belt so I don't know if you can use that example.

Reactions: 1 user
I liked the Kaplan prep course. Ignore their VR strat though, like the above poster said, it's useless.

Other good resources: EK101/1001 series. Great for post course cramming.

In your opinion, what MCAT prep course works best?

I originally decided to go with Kaplan, but after talking to a few people who all claim they were scoring higher on the Kaplan practice tests, but lower on the actual MCAT, I've had second thoughts.

I also heard that EK material is much easier to comprehend.

Let me know your thoughts. Thank you!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/breaking-down-the-mcat-a-3-month-mcat-study-schedule.623898/

Better than any prep-course.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can use any prep course, but I am currently using TBR (orgo, chem, and physics) and EK for bio. Also, you should also buy AAMC practice tests as well. Another option is that you can buy all EK books just for content and TPR hyper-science learning book for practice questions!

Im using EK for general content review and supplementing with TPR and the berkeley review for my weaker areas.

Also the AAMC tests are a must.

I took the kaplan course by itself and Im retaking the mcat, so you decide. And yes I was averaging 4 points higher on my Kaplan practice tests than my real MCAT score.

Hi premed I would recommend Kaplan as well for both content and diagnostic exams. I have been using them for the past few months and they have been of good use. I also find that EK and Hyperlearning are very useful as well for verbal practice.

I honestly wouldn't waste money on a prep course. The best parts of the courses are the reading/practice materials that you can buy in the For Sale forums/Amazon/Half Price Books, having a lecture (but you can get Chad's videos for much less) and having someone to ask questions to (that's what SDN and tutors are for). You can get all of those other materials a la carte for much less than a $2000 prep course.

I went with kaplan on demand for my last MCAT and got a 33, was kind of hoping for a 34 but a 33 was comparable to the range of scores I got in their practice tests. I do feel their VR is piss poor though. My first time with the MCAT I got TPR materials only and tried to do my own thing and got a 27, but I didn't put nearly the amount of time or number of practice tests under my belt so I don't know if you can use that example.

Did you set up your own study plan outside of class or just follow their schedule?

I liked the Kaplan prep course. Ignore their VR strat though, like the above poster said, it's useless.

Other good resources: EK101/1001 series. Great for post course cramming.

Did you set up a study plan outside of the course or did you just follow their schedule? Could you tell us what your MCAT score was?

Did you set up your own study plan outside of class or just follow their schedule?
mostly followed their schedule. There were some topics that I was able to skim very quickly as it was familiar to me so I used that time to prep towards other areas.

again though, i would avoid their VR completely and replace it with another company's. I can't imagine that any one elses is worse
Yes from what I heard from other people who had taken the course they also said the same thing. I will be using EK for the VR