Examkrackers or Schuams -- Biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Divineimpetus

Trucker's Atlas
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read that Kaplan's Bio section is definitely lacking, so I want to buy either the examkrackers for biology or schuams. Which one is better?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Divineimpetus said:
I have read that Kaplan's Bio section is definitely lacking, so I want to buy either the examkrackers for biology or schuams. Which one is better?

Thanks

Examkrackers is terrible, if you ask me. I'm all for Schaum's (AU, not UA). If you need more information, just let me know. I'm signing off SDN right know, I'll get back to you tommorow.

DICK

DICK said:
Examkrackers is terrible, if you ask me. I'm all for Schaum's (AU, not UA). If you need more information, just let me know. I'm signing off SDN right know, I'll get back to you tommorow.

DICK

Why is examkrackers terrible?

I bought Schaum's a week ago. Best thing ever. Seems like everything in there is everything that will be on the DAT, plus alot of detail, I think the detail is good however. I didn't like how Kaplan just touched upon stuff so briefly, and was too lazy to open up my bio book. Not sure about exam crackers, but for 16 bucks, Schaum's really is helping me out. Very good info on photosynthesis and a very in depth discussion on glycolysis. Okay, back to studying for this test!

Members don't see this ad :)
dexadental said:
I bought Schaum's a week ago. Best thing ever. Seems like everything in there is everything that will be on the DAT, plus alot of detail, I think the detail is good however. I didn't like how Kaplan just touched upon stuff so briefly, and was too lazy to open up my bio book. Not sure about exam crackers, but for 16 bucks, Schaum's really is helping me out. Very good info on photosynthesis and a very in depth discussion on glycolysis. Okay, back to studying for this test!

i've heard good things about examkrackers.. a lot of people swear by it... i personally didnt find it in my local barnes and nobles so i never used it :laugh:

all i could get my hands on was schaum's...

dentwannabe said:
i've heard good things about examkrackers.. a lot of people swear by it... i personally didnt find it in my local barnes and nobles so i never used it :laugh:

all i could get my hands on was schaum's...

Don't waist your time on examkrackers, it's a waste, it's for idiots (don't take that personally those of you who use it), that can't understand things easy - go on, get it, you'll see what I mean. Stick to Schaum's, and do it the old fashioned way. Break a leg!

DICK said:
Don't waist your time on examkrackers, it's a waste, it's for idiots (don't take that personally those of you who use it), that can't understand things easy - go on, get it, you'll see what I mean. Stick to Schaum's, and do it the old fashioned way. Break a leg!

I have both Examkrackers and Schaum's. As far as information goes, Schaum's is better because it covers everything from the introductory bio sequence. Examkrackers doesn't because plants, etc. are not on the MCAT.

I think what Dick is referring to with Examkrackers is their presentation; they use a lot of colored illustrations and some silly stuff. I think the info. that they present is presented very well, imo. If your more of a visual learner or if your bored with studying from black and white, size 7 font, you might want to check out Examkrackers. They also present and test the info. differently. Schaum's is more of a straight outline, with straight forward questions. While Examkrackers presents everything more conceptually and their questions test how well you really understand the concepts.

So, for a great, detailed summary of the whole bio course in a way that fits the straight-forward style of the DAT, I'd probably get Schaum's. But, if you really want to understand the concepts of human physiology, etc. really well, I'd get Examkrackers because it makes you think critically and you really learn the info. Of course, the DAT is not a critical-thinking test...

mochafreak said:
I have both Examkrackers and Schaum's. As far as information goes, Schaum's is better because it covers everything from the introductory bio sequence. Examkrackers doesn't because plants, etc. are not on the MCAT.

I think what Dick is referring to with Examkrackers is their presentation; they use a lot of colored illustrations and some silly stuff. I think the info. that they present is presented very well, imo. If your more of a visual learner or if your bored with studying from black and white, size 7 font, you might want to check out Examkrackers. They also present and test the info. differently. Schaum's is more of a straight outline, with straight forward questions. While Examkrackers presents everything more conceptually and their questions test how well you really understand the concepts.

So, for a great, detailed summary of the whole bio course in a way that fits the straight-forward style of the DAT, I'd probably get Schaum's. But, if you really want to understand the concepts of human physiology, etc. really well, I'd get Examkrackers because it makes you think critically and you really learn the info. Of course, the DAT is not a critical-thinking test...

I couldn't have worded it better myself, thanks mochafreak.

I didn't mean to come off as a 'dick' in the previous post, but I kind of did. What I'm trying to say, is that if you really want to get to the nitty gritty of the biology section, and you are willing to put in the time, then grab yourself the schaum's outlines, and stick with it. It might get boring and all (size 7 fonts :laugh: ), but I think it's the best review tool for the bio section, which we all know goes into quite some detail.

As for ExamKrackers, I never bought the book, but I've seen several at the library. As mochafreak said, if you learn from figures, then by all means, use it, but I still don't think it's as comprehensive as Schaum's.

Go ahead, check out both review materials for yourself, and you be the judge.

DICK said:
I couldn't have worded it better myself, thanks mochafreak.

I didn't mean to come off as a 'dick' in the previous post, but I kind of did. What I'm trying to say, is that if you really want to get to the nitty gritty of the biology section, and you are willing to put in the time, then grab yourself the schaum's outlines, and stick with it. It might get boring and all (size 7 fonts :laugh: ), but I think it's the best review tool for the bio section, which we all know goes into quite some detail.

As for ExamKrackers, I never bought the book, but I've seen several at the library. As mochafreak said, if you learn from figures, then by all means, use it, but I still don't think it's as comprehensive as Schaum's.

Go ahead, check out both review materials for yourself, and you be the judge.

Hey Dick, I have my DAT coming up in a month. Will buying schaum's be a lot of help for the last moment revision and stuff. What do you suggest?

Thanks for your advice....

Kaplan's AP Bio review book is also very good. That's what I used.

cowsgomoo said:
Kaplan's AP Bio review book is also very good. That's what I used.

Where can I find it? What do you suggest for the plant biology? I am so confused with all that stuff. Kaplan doesnt discuss that in detail and my textbook is too detailed. What do i do? Any advice...

LMav said:
Where can I find it? What do you suggest for the plant biology? I am so confused with all that stuff. Kaplan doesnt discuss that in detail and my textbook is too detailed. What do i do? Any advice...

You should be able to find the book at most book stores like Barnes and nobles. This book actually has a decent chapter on plant structure and biology. It goes into plant vasculature, plant hormones, and the alternation of generations in enough detail for this DAT. It even goes through the flowers of angiosperms and their fertilization processes. Just keep a level head about all this information. The second you say that this is way too much info and you will never be able to retain it you are setting yourself up to fall. Have confidence that you can remember this stuff. This book seriously settled some of my anxiety as after I read it I felt that I had just about learned everything I needed to for this test. And if you are thinking that it is too late for this book to work, don’t because I found this book in my sister’s room only 4 days before my test.
Hope this helps and let me know if you need anymore info.

LMav said:
Hey Dick, I have my DAT coming up in a month. Will buying schaum's be a lot of help for the last moment revision and stuff. What do you suggest?

Thanks for your advice....

I think Schaum's is the most in depth 'review' material available for the 'biology'. It has everything, and more. Having said that, it does go into quite some detail, so I don't know if it's the right book for you with 4 weeks left. It all depends how fast you learn, and where you are at in your studying. For example, if you've reviewed 'everything' for biology, then you probably just want to 'go over' things, and Schaum's might be good for this, or it might not.

Do this, go to a bookstore (they'll definately have the book available, it's like 15 bucks or something), and check it out for yourself, and browse through it.

I don't think you'll be wasting your time, and if you really like the book, and it gets you those extra few points on the DAT Biology, it's well worth it.

Overall, I think the Schaum's outline is ideal for people that have covered all topics in biology before, (all of us), but have forgotton quite a bit. For us, I think we need to read it word for word - that's what I'm doing. (I should be finished, and have that book back and front and back again in about 4-6 weeks). It really doesn't take that long to finish!

Thanks for the help. So would you suggest only studying off from the schaums outline and forgeting about the kaplan bio since it is so deficient?

Thanks Dick and Cowsgomoo...

Will let you know when I am done with my DAT.

Divineimpetus said:
Thanks for the help. So would you suggest only studying off from the schaums outline and forgeting about the kaplan bio since it is so deficient?

Yup definitely find some thing to supplement that.