examkrackers physics question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qazwsxedc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question 3, page six of EK Physics (2006)

A man entered a cave and walked 100 m North. He then made a sharp turn 150 degrees to the west and walked 87 m straight ahead. How far is the an from when he entered the cave? (sine 30 = 0.5, cosine 30 = 0.87)

THe solution to this question is sin 30 = x/100 = 50m. What am I doing wrong with my diagram? I keep getting sin 30 = x/87 for some reason. Please help.

Thanks. I attached the diagram.

Members don't see this ad.

There's no diagram posted, but let me make up my own and hopefully that'll help you.

This is basically an optical illusion that's throwing you off. But I got this question wrong on my first time, too.

PhysicsQuestionSDN.jpg

Seems you got the idea because you have the 30 degree angle. Because you would actually end up traveling in a southwest direction kinda back towards the opening. But remember SOHCAHTOA or maybe a new version I seen recently on SDN
see one hippy, catch another hippy, trippin over acid.
sin- opp/hypotenuse
cos- adj/hypotenuse
tan- opp/adj
Basicly x is opposite the 30 degree angle so it is sine opposite over hypotenuse. The 100 would be the hypotenuse because it has to be the longest side.

Reactions: 1 user