examkracker's verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Dario

I have just finished the first two verbal mini-passages (lecture) and did worse than I do on kaplan's test or other verbal... I find them more difficult and ambigous....anyone in the same boat? How do I fix this problem?

Members don't see this ad.

I just got the book but I won't start doing those passages until Sunday because I'm taking a mock on Saturday. If they are like the ones in the EK Verbal and Math book then I would say these are somewhat better and more realistic passages than the Kaplan ones. The only way to improve is to practice, practice, practice. I'll update you with my opinions on Sunday when I do the first VR set.

Don't worry about the mini tests in the verbal exam. They are suppossed to be hard. You should judge your verbal performance based upon AAMC tests only. Everything else should be just for practice sake, i.e. to get your skillz down.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took 2 tests. It is hard stuff and very tricky. The answers are much much harder to eliminate because they've made all the wrong ones more appealing. On a Kaplan and TPR verbal session I would usually get a 10. I'm getting 8 on these.

I agree EK are a tad bit tougher, out of 3 passages in the mini-tests at least 1 is a mean ol' bastard. But expect that with any verbal section test... kaplan, real thing, aamc, all have a mean sucka ready to screw with your logic every several passages... Just hold on for dear life and do your best.

g'luck

Tell me if I am a lone ranger, but I am finding after completing EK's first two full lengths in 101 Verbal that the passages are better written (subjects aren't as abstract) yet the questions are quite trickier when compared to kaplan's verbal. For some reason, I lose focus doing kaplan's verbal exams. So, I am finding it easier to read the passages, but scoring lower overall (7 and 8). I haven't taken any AAMC to compare, but I hope the mcat isn't this tricky... good prep though. Here is another trend I am finding in myself: as I get more in depth (passages 6 and on) my score significantly decreases from the first 5 passages... anybody experiencing something similar? Is it focus or the questions? Thanks--

Originally posted by ancientmd
Here is another trend I am finding in myself: as I get more in depth (passages 6 and on) my score significantly decreases from the first 5 passages... anybody experiencing something similar? Is it focus or the questions? Thanks--

Don't do the passages in the order they are written. That's the only way you can find out whether you're weak in a certain area or whether it is just mental fatigue.