1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Examkrackers Verbal

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by MedQuest, Nov 15, 2002.

1. MedQuest

MedQuest Da Truth
    7+ Year Member

I want Sdners opinions about the EK verbal. Do their strategies work. Please help because i need to improve. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. wholly

wholly Member
    7+ Year Member

use the stratagy that works best for you....if you can't seem to find one, put your faith in a method....i can tell you that ek worked for a number of people that I know 10+

4. Mike59

Mike59 Sweatshop FP in Ontario
    7+ Year Member

Well, they obviously didn't count my 8V in their calculations. I was not impressed with the results of their method, despite a few months working with their techniques.

5. JordanZ

JordanZ New Member

I appreciate the verve with which bioguy123 has advanced the EK verbal reasoning cause, but I want to set the record straight: While EK students generally see great improvements using our verbal strategies for the MCAT, scores of twelve and above are (unfortunately) the exception, not the rule.

I'm curious to know where bioguy123 got his information -- it was not from Jon or me.

My name is Jordan Zaretsky and I work with Jon Orsay at Examkrackers.

6. solid snake

solid snake Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I will be getting EK books soon. But I did not pick up the verbal part. What exactly is the EK verbal method? Or do I need to pick up the book and find out?

solid snake

7. Camden772

Camden772 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have posted on this numerous times and I am too lazy to go through it all again. So, if you want to see more of my comments on the matter do a search of my previous posts on verbal.

But I will say this (again). I highly recommend the EK verbal strategy. It worked extremely well for me. I scored a 13-15 on verbal on the August 2002 MCAT after studying and practicing using the EK method. Before I read EK's advice, I did not believe that I could finish the verbal. I had previously scored a 9 on verbal (April 1994), and I had always struggled with finishing standardized tests (especially ones based on a reading comprehension layout). Since studying with EK materials I have become convinced that most people can finish the MCAT verbal. Anyway, like I said you can run a search for my other comments.

8. bioguy123

bioguy123 Member
    7+ Year Member

Jon Orsay sent me a private message telling me that the average verbal score with his course, Examcrackers, is a 9.8, not a 12 or higher. It was my mistake and I apologize to everyone.

9. Mr. Z

Mr. Z Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

How does EK know exactly what the average verbal score of their students is? Have they conducted a survey? If so, then i haven't seen one and i used their materials for aug 02. I would suspect that they (Ek) are calculating that number (9.8) based on the responses they recieve on their website. The bias associated with doing something like that is pretty overwhelming, and would in effect render any information obtained from that method useless. In my opinion, if EK were to do a RANDOMIZED, unbiased assessment of their students, I would bet their average score would probably be somewhere around an 8 (the average for all test takers). The mcat is designed to not provide any obvious biases (or at least minimize those that do exist), especially those that can be introduced by taking a prep course, this has been confirmed by legitimate published research.

I used and do recommend Ek, but don't expect miracles. Your test score is gonna reflect your innnate intelligence and the amount of effort you put into preparing for the exam, regardless of whether you use a prep course or not. Just my 0.02$.

10. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree here. I am taking the EK course this Feb for the april exam. I intend on putting my all into studying but if I don't get the score that I want, I wouldn't necessarily blame the EK course. There are people out there who DO NOT take prep courses and rock the MCAT and there are those who invest lots of $$ and do not do well. A course can help you but I don't it wouldn't necessarily make/break you score.

I am taking EK because I read up on them (website and word of mouth) and they really motivate me to study. Seriously, these people pump me up. I have the AO CD's and their 1001 books (i wll get the rest with the course) and I am excited about studying.
    I took TPR and they didn't motivate me....I didn't even want to attend classes. I don't blame them for my score but still...I want not giving them any of my $$$.

If I take EK and still don't do as well as I want, then oh well....life just sucks then doesn't it?+pissed+

11. hudsontc

hudsontc Attending
    10+ Year Member

Actually Mr. Z, you have a mistaken notion about Examkrackers. No, they don't randomly take verbal scores from people on their websites....rather, they survey the people who have taken their classes. They say that ek students finish well above students of other prep companies and they know this for sure because they survey the scores of the students in their classes.
    Yes, high scores are a result of hard work. They will tell you that if you don't work hard, you will likely do pretty poorly. They never say that their materials will allow you to slack off or whatever.
    Anyway, it is my opinion that EK is the best route...whether you plan to take the class or just study independently. They know their stuff and it shows.

12. Mr. Z

Mr. Z Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

How do you know?

Also, i would fully expect Ek to come back and say that their students are finishing with better scores than students using other prep companies. Have you ever heard of a company touting their own product by saying "use EK, we offer absolutely no competitive advantage what so ever"? My point is, every test prep company says that their students do better than students who choose alternative prep, obviously this can not be true.
    Be careful where you are getting your information from.

Like I said before, EK is good prep for the mcat, i used it and managed double digits in all sections and an R on the writing. But, do i think i would've scored as well with other test prep? Yes, I have no doubt of that. When i was taking the exam i found i relied far more on my own ability to interpret and draw conclusions than i did on science knowledge (probably for 80-90% of the exam). For me, the best prep was practice exams... taking them under strict time limits and then after scoring it, dissecting the exam (and i mean every single problem and every single answer to those problems both right and wrong).

If i had to prep again, i would use ek again, no question about it. They present their material in a far more entertaining way than other test prep companies. And believe me, when you're in your 8th straight week of studying for the exam, the entertainment value i.e. the ability to hold your interest, should not be underestimated. This is where i think Ek's strength is, in the ability to present very dry material in a interesting fashion. I appreciated their efforts greatly.

By the way, I have a bunch of Ek stuff to sell: audio osmosis and all the books, if anyone is interested pm me.

13. BobbyDylanFan

BobbyDylanFan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

well said!