Examples for WS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LC17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm writing the MCAT this thrusday and wanted to look up some examples for the WS. Common topics seem to be politics, history etc. I was going to do some research on figures like Gandhi and Martin Luther King, Jr. How is everyone else preparing for the writing? Any ideas of other people who could make for possible examples in the essay (or even things that happened in history)?

Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

Research for the WS? You are definitely HARD CORE. Doesn't really seem necessary though, can't you just make people up?

"The famous philosopher, William J. Muttenchops III, stated that 'Any man who goes into a situation with rabid wolves aiming for his testicles was just looking for a cheap vasectomy'".

I'm writing the MCAT this thrusday and wanted to look up some examples for the WS. Common topics seem to be politics, history etc. I was going to do some research on figures like Gandhi and Martin Luther King, Jr. How is everyone else preparing for the writing? Any ideas of other people who could make for possible examples in the essay (or even things that happened in history)?

Thanks for your help

I am memorizing the dictionary. There are far too many good words in that book to leave out of my essay.;)

Seriously though. You can practice writing a few essays to see how well you can get your point across. If you really want to over-prepare for the WS, try picking up a book of short essays at your local library and read through them. You will see a variety of styles, and gain an appreciation for what makes a really good essay. Knowing facts about people is nice, but they really won't care if you hand them a biography instead of a general overview.

thanks... the WS is the only section that I haven't done anything for so I guess it's just a bit weird going into a section without any practice. I guess I'm just worrying too much about the section. I just figured examples would look better than hypothetical situations, but I guess in the end any concrete example will do justice.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think its better to keep a journal.
inside of that journal, you can write about things happening in your life and weigh the pros and cons of each and decide on what you want to do.
the WS seems to be more of a an exercise in one's ability to apply standard logic to a problem and possess the ability to express said logic.
the goal is to demonstrate that you can equally explore all sides of an issue.
here is a list of writing prompts given in years past:

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/writingsampleitems.htm

and here is what the AAMC says on how to prepare for it:

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/wsprep.htm

and finally, you will be scored on these critera:

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/wsscore.htm