Examples of 'red flags'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scowdeva

MS I
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm pretty pumped about an upcoming interview, and in my research I see that they typically ask if you have any red flags. Would you mind listing examples of what a red flag would be?? Outside of a few basics, like failing a course or program, I'm kinda drawing a blank.

Members don't see this ad.

i was wondering about this too...so do they ask you "do you have any red flags that we should know about" ...??

is this another way of asking what are your weaknesses?

or are you supposed to say yeah I withdrew from a class that is my red flag...i am so confused

Members don't see this ad :)
What? In none of my interviews did someone ask me specifically if I had red flags in my application. I was asked a few times about weaknesses, but if you think "I dropped Calc1 frosh year" is your weakness, you need some serious introspection and your interviewer isn't going to be impressed. They're asking about you, not your app. Just be prepared to have an answer, preferably not "i'm a perfectionist" which is both common and a bit of a bad answer ... find something else wrong with yourself :rolleyes:

:luck::luck::thumbup: good luck interviewing.

On almost every interview post for NYMC, they said they were asked for red flags. If this just means weaknesses, I'm good. When I first read it, and if I would have been asked without thinking about it first, I would assume it to mean do I have some skeleton that they dont know about yet...

On almost every interview post for NYMC, they said they were asked for red flags. If this just means weaknesses, I'm good. When I first read it, and if I would have been asked without thinking about it first, I would assume it to mean do I have some skeleton that they dont know about yet...

i agree...if it just means weakensses i am good...i have plenty that dont include "i'm a perfectionist"

the thing i am confused about is what are they asking...wouldnt you think that they would find "red flags" and then ask you about them...not you answering the question as "these are my red flags...blah blah blah" it just seems a little odd to me.

I would generally look at "red flags" as serious issues with your application - ie, academic dishonesty, trouble with the student judicial board, getting arrested, anything that might show up if they did a background check on you...

If you're not sure what they mean, I'd ask them to clarify. "Are you asking about my personal weaknesses or are you asking about more serious offenses". Better than answering the question inappropriately/incorrectly.

Cumulative GPA is high, BCPM GPA is extremely low. Good example of a red flag, but I don't think it comes up too often. You'd have to be a non-science major for that to occur.

it's that piece of red cloth that you have to hang on long pieces of lumber when you're driving home from Lowe's