Examples of Strong LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mindquick

So sometimes my professors allow me to write a paragraph or two of my own letter of recommendation, while they write the rest. Sometimes professors just let you write your own recommendation and they just sign whatever you write. I want to write something like "Mindquick is the best student I have ever had in my entire 30 years teaching. He is the brightest star in the galaxy."

But I'm afraid that it might not be strong enough. Where can I find examples of strong letters of recommendation?

Members don't see this ad.

a professor and i wrote mine together, and i almost walked off with a copy but he stopped me. i don't remember much of it, but whenever we made a good statement, he'd go "hell yeah now that's a good sentence. i need to save that for my other letters." we were also listening to bob marley while we brainstormed.

I think the most important thing is that it seems personalized and that you actually use concrete, unique examples of your awesomeness. Which is probably why your prof wants you to write part of it so that the emphasis is what you want it to be on. He might get asked for dozens of letters a year, only about half of which he even vaguely remembers how he knows the student. It's easy for him to go look on his computer and say "oh, he consistently got 90+ on all assignments that semester, I'll put that in..." but you have the chance to actually say something meaningful. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Vaguely off topic, but I had a sentence read back to me from one of my teacher's LORs at an interview. It was "This should be her final career." Or something to that effect. I wouldn't recommend using that line if you're a non-trad career-changer. HAH!

Vaguely off topic, but I had a sentence read back to me from one of my teacher's LORs at an interview. It was "This should be her final career." Or something to that effect. I wouldn't recommend using that line if you're a non-trad career-changer. HAH!

lol, a fan of job-hopping are we? ;)

So sometimes my professors allow me to write a paragraph or two of my own letter of recommendation, while they write the rest. Sometimes professors just let you write your own recommendation and they just sign whatever you write. I want to write something like "Mindquick is the best student I have ever had in my entire 30 years teaching. He is the brightest star in the galaxy."

But I'm afraid that it might not be strong enough. Where can I find examples of strong letters of recommendation?

I've never heard of professors just signing what you write. That's just irresponsible. Most professors will ask you to write your own so they can get a bunch of ideas to add to what they have in mind. Sometimes they edit what you have to fit their writing style and polish. From my experience, this is a great opportunity for you to show off your writing skills to your professor and show him that you understand the significance of your accomplishments and what your relationship with him means. Take this seriously, and you will get a good LOR!

I want to write something like "Mindquick is the best student I have ever had in my entire 30 years teaching. He is the brightest star in the galaxy."

My friend in sociology grad school and I have this joke, where he is to write me a letter of recommendation...it goes something like, "Brian is one of the most profound thinkers of modern times..."

Seriously, I wouldn't attempt something like this. Try to put some substance into it.

Hii

I've never heard of professor letting student write the letter of recommendation or even letting them be a part of it.

It doesn't fit/seem right.

explain.

happens all the time. professors are busy and sometimes don't know too much about you.

happens all the time. professors are busy and sometimes don't know too much about you.

Yeah, I've heard it too. My question is, do people who write their own LORs or help a prof write one, then have to say they didn't waive their right to read the letter, or do they lie and say they waived it anyway? I know med schools won't consider LORs the student has seen seriously.