excellent anatomy CD software

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO2BE

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone suggest their favourite instructional CD software for anatomy with excellent illustrations. I found an online bookstore selling a wide selection of CDs on the subject. Your suggestion will be greatly appreciated !

Members don't see this ad.

This is an excellent question that I have recently been thinking about also. I found a good candidate at <a href =http://www.meded.pharma.us.novartis.com>www.meded.pharma.us.novaritis.com</a> . They have an interactive cd with illustrations by Frank Netter. The description says it can give self tests and has video demonstrations. If anyone uses and can comment on this product, please let me know if it is worth it. We use the ADAM program in my H.A. class and it leaves a lot to be desired, especially regarding histology.

[This message has been edited by SqB (edited 02-10-99).]

Sorry, I mistyped. The above software doesn't say anything about video. It was another product. Still interested though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think a software program is worth the money. If you have access to the gross lab, just spend some quality time with your cadaver and good 'ole uncle Netter's atlas (Netter is every med student's favorite uncle)!!! Be able to identify everything on the cadavar first using the atlas as a reference, and then try without the help of the atlas. It takes awhile to identify everything the first time through, but if you do it in small bits at a time and reinforce it you'll be surprised how well you retain it.

I don't think a software program is worth the money. If you have access to the gross lab, just spend some quality time with your cadaver and good 'ole uncle Netter's atlas (Netter is every med student's favorite uncle)!!! Be able to identify everything on the cadavar first using the atlas as a reference, and then try without the help of the atlas. It takes awhile to identify everything the first time through, but if you do it in small bits at a time and reinforce it you'll be surprised how well you retain it.

I have heard that this program called "Virtual Human" is one of the better ones.
The link below will take you to the site that sells. I 've heard some very positive reviews but haven't tried it myself.

http://www.gsm.com/products/vhatlas.htm

See my reply on the Osteopathic Med Students' Board for more detail.

I agree that spending time in the anatomy lab is the best thing, although "Human Anatomy" is a CD that will prepare you ahead for the dissections and let you "dazzle" your tank mates with your "depth of anatomical knowledge" and eliminate the need to wait for a TA or professor to help you find that tiny nerve that seems lost in a bunch of unrelated spaghetti. Atlases will do too, my all time favorite being Rohan, although McMinn does a better job for abdomen. However, with an atlas, particularly when going through a layered dissection, you may not really get the idea of what is going to come into your field of view first... So the CD can be handy for that.

By the way, I never heard anyone refering to Netter as a "favorite uncle", but lots of "Netter is god" comments do fly around. Netter did bring anatomy to a different artistic level. I wished the real specimens looked that way...