Exceptionally High Scores On The MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brandon81081

OBGYN
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my opinion...Anything above ~40 isnt going to help you. These are rare scores and the medical schools are looking for "well-rounded" individuals and those students with high scores as such will be examined further in there application. Some schools seem to believe a score higher than this is typical of students who are "all about the books" or perhaps weird. Agree or Disagree. It's just my opinion...besides...i dont think i have to worry about this...im still in the 20's but still optimistic :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just because you get in the 40's doesn't mean you aren't well rounded. If you go to the 30+ study habits thread you'll see that the people who get 40s often don't study 8-12 hours/day like us crazies do.

Brandon81081 said:
In my opinion...Anything above ~40 isnt going to help you. These are rare scores and the medical schools are looking for "well-rounded" individuals and those students with high scores as such will be examined further in there application. Some schools seem to believe a score higher than this is typical of students who are "all about the books" or perhaps weird. Agree or Disagree. It's just my opinion...besides...i dont think i have to worry about this...im still in the 20's but still optimistic :)

Umm, how do know this?

Disagree. There are people on this forum who've received above a 40 and they are well-rounded according to their interests and experiences.

I can sort of see where you are coming from about being well rounded and all, but I will have to disagree on this. I agree with the poster above that most students who score 40+ don't put in tons of hours studying. (But they are definatley focused and efficient) The MCAT, in my opinion and from my friends who have done exceptionally well (40+), is more of a test of your critical thinking and mentual endurance than content knowldege. I mean just think about it-you don't need to be a chemical physics major to score well in PS, and likewise you only need to know your basic bio to do well on the BS section since a lot of it has to do with passage analysis. As for verbal, well-pretty much all critical thinking and endurance there (I know many english and humanities majors who struggle with this section!) Critical thinking is special skill that is hard to just learn through taking various prep classes (not to say that they don't help because I believe they certinaly do...only to a certain extent)

I'd almost venture to say that those individuals who score well on the MCAT are perhaps better rounded than a lot who don't do so well (just look at matriculants to top 10 schools-they are definately more than a bunch of book worms). It takes critical thinking, mental endurance, overall talent and a bit of luck to score over a 40-not doing AAMC 3-7, all Kaplan, TPR, EK and 2+ years of studying. (just my opinion and I admit a very broad generalization-please don't eat me :D ).

Members don't see this ad :)
Brandon81081 said:

Also, keep in mind that non-science majors score higher on the MCAT on average.

Brandon81081 said:
Speaking from the other side, I'd say that there is as much variety among people who score 40+ as there is among people who score in the 20s. Like you said, there aren't tons of people who have scores above 40 for us to do some kind of statistically significant analysis. But anecdotally, I met several people with 40+ scores on SDN and at my interviews last year, and they run the gamut of personalities and work ethics from amazingly awesome to scarily sucky that you would see at any other score level. Some people with 40+ scores get accepted all over the place with scholarships, and others don't get in or only get in at one or two schools if they don't have much else going for them.

I think the important thing for all of you to keep in mind is that the MCAT is a means to an end. It is not an end in and of itself. A 40 doesn't guarantee you an acceptance anywhere, and it is not necessary to score that high to get into medical school. Remind yourselves often that the MCAT is one component of your application, and it doesn't exist in a vacuum. There are all kinds of "soft factors" that matter too, from how well you write essays to what activities you participated in to how good your LORs are. The most successful applicants will have applications that are well-rounded and strong in as many areas as they possibly can; you can't just focus on the MCAT to the exclusion of all else if your goal is to get into medical school. In other words, go take the test on Saturday, do the best that you can, and keep your score in the proper perspecive. If you get into medical school, you've succeeded at this game, no matter what your MCAT score is.

Best of :luck: to everyone. :)

Brandon81081 said:

Disagree as well; what you say can be argued for just about any aspect of the application. Exceptionally high GPA, exceptionally good LORs, exceptional volunteer experience, etc.

i can see things from your point of view...all of you. I still cannot come to terms with anyone who makes above 40...Im having difficult even imaging your capabilities...thats like a "human machine".. my hat goes off to these folks.. Some people with 30+ scores may need to study very little. BUT...i guess the point im trying to make is, Does someones score being 5-10 points lower than your score mean that they cant reason as well...after all its a reasoning and "thinking" test. Throughout the last 6 months i have realized that it takes something besides studying and doing all practice test. Perhaps i dont have what it takes to score higher...I've pretty much exausted every technique. Any suggestions on how i can approach this test from a different angle?

I will never understand how some non-science majors score higher ;)

Brandon81081 said:
i can see things from your point of view...all of you. I still cannot come to terms with anyone who makes above 40...Im having difficult even imaging your capabilities...thats like a "human machine".. my hat goes off to these folks.. Some people with 30+ scores may need to study very little. BUT...i guess the point im trying to make is, Does someones score being 5-10 points lower than your score mean that they cant reason as well...after all its a reasoning and "thinking" test. Throughout the last 6 months i have realized that it takes something besides studying and doing all practice test. Perhaps i dont have what it takes to score higher...I've pretty much exausted every technique. Any suggestions on how i can approach this test from a different angle?

I will never understand how some non-science majors score higher ;)

You answered your own question. Humanities classes emphasize critical reading and reasoning, probably the two most important skills in taking the MCAT. Rote science knowledge can only get you so far.

Another reason for the science/non-science MCAT avg difference:

I think there are also far fewer non-science MCAT takers than science ones. Those non-science have to go out of their way (cuz they don't recieve degree credit) to take those classes. So when it comes to the MCAT, these non-sci MCAT takers are pretty serious about the whole premed thing. (Also the verbal section and other passages don't hurt, like was previously mentioned)

I think the science-major MCAT average gets lowered b/c some (maybe a significant minority?) science majors are just that, science majors, and take the test for the heck of it (don't strongly identify themselves as premed) and that lowers the overall science premed MCAT average. There are NO non-sci majors that would take the MCAT for the heck of it, or lightly, too much non-related work to do this!

ADeadLois said:
You answered your own question. Humanities classes emphasize critical reading and reasoning, probably the two most important skills in taking the MCAT. Rote science knowledge can only get you so far.
True. I've posted this before just because I think it's an interesting coincidence: lorelei, who also scored a 43, and I were both actually double majors in humanities and physical sciences. ;)

QofQuimica said:
True. I've posted this before just because I think it's an interesting coincidence: lorelei, who also scored a 43, and I were both actually double majors in humanities and physical sciences. ;)

I was a physics major that also ended up on team 43, and I think most people really underestimate the role that luck plays on the MCAT. Or, rather, chance - I'm not so sure I'm really a lucky girl. The difference between a high score (34+) and a weirdo score (40+) is mostly accidentally filling in the right bubbles on 2 or 3 questions per section. Few people that score 34+ take the test more than once, so it's hard to get data on their regression to the mean.

I guess I should just speak for myself here, though. Maybe there are lots of 40+ weirdos who could do it again...

- LBQ

LyraBelacqua said:
I was a physics major that also ended up on team 43, and I think most people really underestimate the role that luck plays on the MCAT. Or, rather, chance - I'm not so sure I'm really a lucky girl. The difference between a high score (34+) and a weirdo score (40+) is mostly accidentally filling in the right bubbles on 2 or 3 questions per section. Few people that score 34+ take the test more than once, so it's hard to get data on their regression to the mean.

I guess I should just speak for myself here, though. Maybe there are lots of 40+ weirdos who could do it again...

- LBQ
I completely agree about the luck thing. I think my score had more to do with having an exam that played to my strong areas than any kind of insane test taking ability. I also felt like I was in the zone test day and I think that has a ton to do with scores as well - you may be completely capable of a 43 but if you eat some bad hummus the night before you're SOL.

FlStudent said:
Another reason for the science/non-science MCAT avg difference:

I think there are also far fewer non-science MCAT takers than science ones. Those non-science have to go out of their way (cuz they don't recieve degree credit) to take those classes. So when it comes to the MCAT, these non-sci MCAT takers are pretty serious about the whole premed thing. (Also the verbal section and other passages don't hurt, like was previously mentioned)

I think the science-major MCAT average gets lowered b/c some (maybe a significant minority?) science majors are just that, science majors, and take the test for the heck of it (don't strongly identify themselves as premed) and that lowers the overall science premed MCAT average. There are NO non-sci majors that would take the MCAT for the heck of it, or lightly, too much non-related work to do this!

Exactly.

It depends where you're applying. If you're in Canada, they really don't care that much since it's mostly just cut-off. Do all the schools in the US weigh MCAT very heavily?

4s4 said:
It depends where you're applying. If you're in Canada, they really don't care that much since it's mostly just cut-off. Do all the schools in the US weigh MCAT very heavily?
Take Uof Ottawa med school. They don't even require an MCAT.

Well you never know. At Harvard and a U of St. Louis I really think 40s are almost the norm especially for the non-connected, non-minorities and people without alumni. I mean sure there a averages are only 35-38 or so, but they do let some low people in of course to bring those down.

I mean they are more likely to take a 45 than a 40 I imagine. Not that much mroe likely, but a near perfect score sure won't hurt you.

Exceptionally high scores give you a shot at full rides, so there's a bonus right there! just ask those who are in med school with 40+. I wonder how many of them have partial or full rides based on MCAT scores.