Excitability of the nerve and potassium ion concentration.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akam ahz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My book says that the excitability of the nerve is increased when increasing the the potassium ion (K+) concentration in the extracellular fluid and vice versa.

I don't understand this mechanism could someone explain it for me!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you increase the concentration of potassium in the extracellular fluid, it will move down its concentration gradient, into the cell slightly depolarizing the cellular membrane. This makes it easier to reach threshold (+15mV) to elicit an action potential. Hope this helps.

If you increase the concentration of potassium in the extracellular fluid, it will move down its concentration gradient, into the cell slightly depolarizing the cellular membrane. This makes it easier to reach threshold (+15mV) to elicit an action potential. Hope this helps.
Threshold of an AP is actually around -55mV. So what is happening is K+ is in higher conc. on the inside of the neuron than the outside. This means K+ wants to flow outside as seen in the descending portion of an Action potential where the membrane potential is driven towards -70/-80mV. By increasing the amount of K+ outside of the cell, you effectively reduce the concentration gradient for K+ to leave the cell. This reduced gradient in turns causes some K+ to "stay inside" compared to before and + charge in the neuron means depolarization. You can also look at it mathematically withe Nernst Equation, specifically the concentration portion of that equation. E=RT/zF*ln([Ion(out)/[Ion(in)]). Normally this value, using physiological values of [K+], is around -5 and -5*RT/zF we get around -80mV which is close to resting membrane potential. When we start to increase the value of the fraction, make the numerator bigger by increasing extracellular concentration of K+ we get a slightly smaller value. When i plugged in ln(15/150) for a hypothetical scenario, we get around -2.7. -2.7*RT/zF yields a more "depolarized" value, closer to 0 but still negative. This effectively will help the neuron fire another AP because we are closer to that threshold potential of -55 which triggers firing. I hope that helped.