Excitement..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Racer543

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, post acceptance excitement finally decided to hit me!!! Ever since I graduated (2 years ago), I felt my life was idle and placed on hold. Even though I was happy seeing many of my friends succeed and move on with their life, it was hard coping with not being in school. By always reminding me and asking of my break from school, friends and family made it worse. After conquering the MCAT, interviews, the stress of moving away from home, and lastly med school debt, I FINALLY feel excited and accomplished. I'm starting the journey that I've always dreamed of. I know most of you guys don't care and will ignore this post, but just remember how blessed you are to be in/starting podiatry school! I decided to post this because I was very down during my gap years and feel this may be encouraging to someone. To the students currently in their gap year or years, keep working, don't give up, there is light at the end of the tunnel!
P.S. Is there anyone that recently survived their gruesome gap years? Really excited to go pod school? Please share.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
I went ahead and applied late this cycle to avoid a gap year and am currently holding several conditional acceptances dependent upon my MCAT score. Definitely very nervous to lose them and end up rejected if it's a bad score and end up in a gap year after all. Thanks for the words of encouragement! Very excited to start school if all goes to plan.

Reactions: 1 users
So, post acceptance excitement finally decided to hit me!!! Ever since I graduated (2 years ago), I felt my life was idle and placed on hold. Even though I was happy seeing many of my friends succeed and move on with their life, it was hard coping with not being in school. By always reminding me and asking of my break from school, friends and family made it worse. After conquering the MCAT, interviews, the stress of moving away from home, and lastly med school debt, I FINALLY feel excited and accomplished. I'm starting the journey that I've always dreamed of. I know most of you guys don't care and will ignore this post, but just remember how blessed you are to be in/starting podiatry school! I decided to post this because I was very down during my gap years and feel this may be encouraging to someone. To the students currently in their gap year or years, keep working, don't give up, there is light at the end of the tunnel!
P.S. Is there anyone that recently survived their gruesome gap years? Really excited to go pod school? Please share.
Feeling the exact same way and am in the same boat as you! Very excited for you to start pod school next month (which is CRAZY to think about that we start so soon). Hurray for class of '21! I'm happy that it finally gets to be our turn.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think excitement has hit yet.

More anxious about finances + moving + figuring out where SO is gonna work + cost of living + courseload.

Stuff like that. Will probably feel much better after the move and have some time to ourselves before school hits.

Reactions: 8 users

More anxious about finances + moving + figuring out where SO is gonna work + cost of living + courseload.

Stuff like that. Will probably feel much better after the move and have some time to ourselves before school hits.
1000% agree on this too...

Reactions: 1 user
Same boat.

Im filled with anxiety. Housing waitlists, trying to tackle financial aid, and working 60 hours/week. Im going to slow down here in the next couple weeks but my goodness, has it been a wild 6 months since the acceptance. I sill have to get all the background checks done.

I will prolly have that excitement when I move.

But yes, I took two gap years to try and get my MCAT up to an acceptable level. Eventually, It cobbled together as a success, but I was pretty down seeing everyone else move on with their lives.

Just remember when looking at Facebook: people always put their best foot (hah) forward. All those happy pictures of the married couples going places where its warm and sunny? They arnt talking about their financial woes on their feeds, or how close to divorce they were/ still are. You do you, Bro.

Same boat.

Im filled with anxiety. Housing waitlists, trying to tackle financial aid, and working 60 hours/week. Im going to slow down here in the next couple weeks but my goodness, has it been a wild 6 months since the acceptance. I sill have to get all the background checks done.

I will prolly have that excitement when I move.

But yes, I took two gap years to try and get my MCAT up to an acceptable level. Eventually, It cobbled together as a success, but I was pretty down seeing everyone else move on with their lives.

Just remember when looking at Facebook: people always put their best foot (hah) forward. All those happy pictures of the married couples going places where its warm and sunny? They arnt talking about their financial woes on their feeds, or how close to divorce they were/ still are. You do you, Bro.

Aren't you going to the LECOM post-bacc?

Agreed. I'm a tiny bit excited, a little relieved that I've been accepted and will be starting soon, and a LOT freaked out about studying.

Use that fear to motivate you!

In all seriousness, as a KSUCPM 1st year (soon to be 2nd year), it's nothing to be afraid of. Just go in expecting to work hard and you'll be fine. I had the same fears when I started out, and the upperclassmen told me the same thing. It turned out to be true. You'll adapt to the workload and what previously seemed impossible will seem very doable.

Reactions: 1 users

In all seriousness, as a KSUCPM 1st year (soon to be 2nd year), it's nothing to be afraid of. Just go in expecting to work hard and you'll be fine. I had the same fears when I started out, and the upperclassmen told me the same thing. It turned out to be true. You'll adapt to the workload and what previously seemed impossible will seem very doable.
KSUCPM is my top choice and as long as my MCAT comes back okay I will likely be attending this fall. Could you comment on how you feel financially after your first year? With rising tuition each year (41k next year) reaching what out of state med schools were just a few years ago during my schooling I am starting to worry about loan repayment. Thanks.

I needed to hear this. Thank you!

KSUCPM is my top choice and as long as my MCAT comes back okay I will likely be attending this fall. Could you comment on how you feel financially after your first year? With rising tuition each year (41k next year) reaching what out of state med schools were just a few years ago during my schooling I am starting to worry about loan repayment. Thanks.
Also curious about this

Also curious about this

I mean I don't love it whenever tuition goes up. Given I'm already enrolled here, I don't know what I can really do about it.

I feel like we're given plenty to live off of. If you live frugally, you can probably reduce your loan repayments down the road.

Be grateful you are not in California.

Hi,

I'm not the original user that you all were talking to but I can tell you as a person who has student loans from undergrad, graduate school, and now is piling on loans in podiatry school that finances are certainly a worry that sits in the back of my mind. However I believe that if you budget appropriately and don't spend recklessly (by racking up personal credit card debt or something) you should be okay. I live in a place with cheap rent, don't eat out too often, and have 2 work study jobs that I use as "fun" money that I spend on hobbies. Also you'll want to perform the best that you can in school and in residency so you can get a job that pays well enough that you'll be able to pay your loans back. My plan is to live frugally the first few years out of residency so I can knock out a chunk of the debt as quickly as I can.

So yes, debt is somewhat a worry but as long as you keep pushing forward in school and are responsible with your money you'll get to where you need to be in the end.

That's awesome! Congratulations! Can't wait to be in your shoes!