jammin06

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
607
0
Visit site
Status
anyone else feel ripped off? 20 days a year! I like to believe that the summer i spent studying for this test was worth something.


Dear Advisors and interested others,

We have officially announced our plan to convert the MCAT to
exclusively computer-based testing (CBT) in early 2007. At that time,
we expect to cut the test length by one third, return scores in a month
(or less), offer 20 days of testing each year, and have geographic
coverage of test sites similar to what we have now. We hope to do this
without a substantial increase in MCAT fees. We are excited about this development and hope that you and your students will be, as well.

For more details, come see our presentation at one of the NAAHP
regional meetings this spring, and check out the AAMC Reporter article
at: http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/reporter/feb05/mcat.htm
 

IndyZX

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2003
1,535
3
Status
yup, definitely a step forward.

more flexibility in test scheduling = more flexibility during undergrad = better application process.
 

45408

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
16,976
47
Status
Resident [Any Field]
just as long as the scoring stays the same, so that we don't sound like we're dumb if the average moves up to a 32 :p
 

txguy

...
10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
1,327
18
refer to screen name
Status
Attending Physician
I just hope that there is a physical test booklet to scribble in (so you can underline key words, eliminate answers, etc) and you can just click your answers on the computer........

I really like the idea of typing the essays on a computer, though! My handwriting is terrible :oops:

-tx
 

Stillwater45

Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2004
127
12
37
Visit site
Status
No More feeling guilty about spending too much time on SDN. Hone your MCAT CPU screen navigation skills while browsing SDN. Use your time wisely you only have two more years to practice
 

Graat

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
134
0
San Francisco
Status
txguy said:
I just hope that there is a physical test booklet to scribble in
Yeah, imaging doing verbal without being able to underline key points - yikes.
 

bth7

It's worth it in the end . . .
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2004
1,119
2
Brooklyn, NY
en.wikipedia.org
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
CBR is really superior. I took my MCAT this way, though it wasn't 1/3 shorter. I highly, highly recommend doing it this way if you can. It's being offered already.
 

nabeel76

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
660
4
Status
jammin06 said:
anyone else feel ripped off? 20 days a year! I like to believe that the summer i spent studying for this test was worth something.


Dear Advisors and interested others,

We have officially announced our plan to convert the MCAT to
exclusively computer-based testing (CBT) in early 2007. At that time,
we expect to cut the test length by one third, return scores in a month
(or less), offer 20 days of testing each year, and have geographic
coverage of test sites similar to what we have now. We hope to do this
without a substantial increase in MCAT fees. We are excited about this development and hope that you and your students will be, as well.

For more details, come see our presentation at one of the NAAHP
regional meetings this spring, and check out the AAMC Reporter article
at: http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/reporter/feb05/mcat.htm
About time .. This test should've been computerized years ago. I am definitely glad I will be taking the computerized version. :thumbup:
 

trinitrotoluene

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
249
2
Status
I have already taken the MCAT twice. If for some ungodly reason I were to take it again (I really do not want to think about that by the way), I would take the paper version. I am too adjusted to that format, and don't want to do it all over again with a different system.

Now, I have done CBT for other stuff and enjoyed it (as much as you can enjoy a test). Looking forward to those block exams (sorta).
 

trinitrotoluene

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
249
2
Status
jammin06 said:
We have officially announced our plan to convert the MCAT to
exclusively computer-based testing (CBT) in early 2007. At that time,
we expect to cut the test length by one third, return scores in a month
(or less), offer 20 days of testing each year, and have geographic
coverage of test sites similar to what we have now. We hope to do this
without a substantial increase in MCAT fees. We are excited about this development and hope that you and your students will be, as well.
AAMC is only going to offer the test 20 times/year!?!? You can take the GRE almost any day of the year!!! Gee wiz.
 

yogiberra

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
38
0
Status
What really sucks is that it will be hard going back and forth during the test to check answers. Still that 22 times a year sounds great.
 

premedgeek

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
674
0
Status
trinitrotoluene said:
AAMC is only going to offer the test 20 times/year!?!? You can take the GRE almost any day of the year!!! Gee wiz.
Compared to twice a year, its step in the right direction. :D
 

twicetenturns

Davy Jones's Landlord
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2004
166
0
Status
So.. um if they cut the test length by a third... and some scores are in the range of a few questions of each other already (15= 0-1 wrong, 14= 2-4 wrong, 13= 5-7 wrong, etc.) are the top scores going to come down to a statistically insignificant one question difference? The only way I see correcting this is to make the test harder, but isn't it hard enough as is?? Isn't part of the MCAT's purpose to test how well you can stay on point for 8 hours? Agreed the test needs a revamp, but I am curious about this new direction. Plus, by offering it 20 times a year some of the ceremony is lost, but.. alas, I guess I am just a sucker for tradition.
 

MrTee

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
337
2
Visit site
Status
twicetenturns said:
So.. um if they cut the test length by a third... and some scores are in the range of a few questions of each other already (15= 0-1 wrong, 14= 2-4 wrong, 13= 5-7 wrong, etc.) are the top scores going to come down to a statistically insignificant one question difference? The only way I see correcting this is to make the test harder, but isn't it hard enough as is?? Isn't part of the MCAT's purpose to test how well you can stay on point for 8 hours? Agreed the test needs a revamp, but I am curious about this new direction. Plus, by offering it 20 times a year some of the ceremony is lost, but.. alas, I guess I am just a sucker for tradition.
I was wondering the exact same thing. How are you going to discern the difference in performance of the higher scores while dropping the number of questions? My guess is that there will be more variability in retakers' scores since on any given administration, you might just guess a few more right or wrong, which could potentially change your score by a few points.
 

Elmer

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
133
0
Status
MrTee said:
I was wondering the exact same thing. How are you going to discern the difference in performance of the higher scores while dropping the number of questions? My guess is that there will be more variability in retakers' scores since on any given administration, you might just guess a few more right or wrong, which could potentially change your score by a few points.
In computer based tests, they can scale the difficulty of your questions. So you are doing well if the questions keep getting harder. If you miss one, the questions get easier. They can hone in on your ability per subject.
 

txguy

...
10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
1,327
18
refer to screen name
Status
Attending Physician
Graat said:
Yeah, imaging doing verbal without being able to underline key points - yikes.
Or any other section for that matter--I underline key words in questions and passages from the sciences too!

I do not envy future test takers in that regard! :scared:

-tx