Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Exempt from shirtlessness in OMM lab for medical reasons

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Osteopathic [ DO ]' started by Gordon Gekko, 05.18.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko What’s worth doing is worth doing for money. Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Hi. I read other posts that say DMU and NSU allow guys to wear shirts in OMM lab. Will the other schools allow me to wear a shirt throughout the lab if I have severe eczema over 2/3 of my body and & cystic acne. I'd hate my lab partner to be exposed to that. I've been getting treatment for decades without relief. Thanks for any replies.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. DoctorSynthesis

DoctorSynthesis Friendly osteopath 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I honestly have no idea what the answer is to that question. You should most likely call the school your matriculating at and talk to them about it. It would most likely be a little bit weird if you are the only guy wearing a shirt though.

4. docemmettbrown

docemmettbrown 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You know, when I first read the title I thought about a guy with chiseled abs gladly ripping his shirt off while walking into lab and then I pictured myself, an average Joe, with no abs, hesitant to remove my shirt... hmm

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

5. WhyDoWeFall

WhyDoWeFall 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You know, i've been a bit curious about this. I've heard about places going shirtless for OMM but I'm not too sure who does do this. At Rowan we leave our shirts on and during practicals we ask that everyone wears a thin shirt so, not too sure about the shirtless thing but I am curious.

6. frosted_flake

frosted_flake waaahmbulance attendant Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    :confused:
    this seems like it would make a lot of people uncomfortable.

7. NurWollen

NurWollen Strong with the Force 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    At my school, AZCOM, our shirts are always on. There are some techniques which must done on bare skin but we honestly just roll/lift our shirts up for that. I'm a guy but the same goes for girls. Not a big deal at all.

We actually are more likely to have to remove our shirts for our intro to clinical medicine class when we're doing heart/lung sounds, abdominal exams, etc. on each other. I had to remove my shirt for a final once when doing that, and sometimes you have to for labs when you're practicing the exams, but again, it's not a big deal.

8. gladlyfocused

gladlyfocused 2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I know that NYIT-COM requires men to take off their shirts...don't know the answer to your question though, sorry.

9. salutations

salutations 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is your eczema and acne painful to touch? If so, it's likely contraindicated. You wouldn't manipulate someone if it required putting pressure on burns, bruises, etc.

10. chizledfrmstone

chizledfrmstone MSIII SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Can you wear under armor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. MaximusD

MaximusD Anatomically Incorrect 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Air Force
    (1) That is a medical exemption, but it may conflict with the matriculation agreement. Contact admissions.

(2) No one is comfortable to start. Not only can everyone see your imperfections, but you are trained to LOOK FOR THEM. After a couple of weeks of stress and repetition of disrobing, everyone becomes a little numb to embarrassment. If you don't have a real reason for exemption (medical, religious...) then it's best to just "go with the flow".

If you can use your fear of disrobing as motivation to lose weight/fix skin conditions/etc then that's a good thing, right? Kidding... kind of.

12. MaximusD

MaximusD Anatomically Incorrect 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Air Force
    besides, to get a real feel for strain patterns you should be hand-on-skin.

13. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko What’s worth doing is worth doing for money. Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    That's a good point MaximusD. I will ask admissions about the matriculation agreement. Thank you.

14. Gordon Gekko

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I have tried Under Armour, but my gut just pushes it up and it turns into a sports bra. :rofl:

15. Jason12

Jason12 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    you could just hit the gym so your muscularity would make up for your medical concern

16. LongTimeLurk

LongTimeLurk first time post

Medical Student
    I am hairy. very. sorry lab partners.

17. touchpause13

touchpause13 nolite te bastardes carborundorum 2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I don't believe that DMU had dudes shirtless. I know you have to wear like uniforms for it.

About the ads