"Exempt" on AMCAS - need help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med870

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been searching for an answer to this question everywhere and cant find one. Also tried calling the help line and ended up even more confused.

I took an AP stat class in high school. I did not receive credit for it, however it allowed me to be exempt from an introductory class. It is listed on my transcript under "AP credits" and has STAT001 as its course code (the class code that I was exempt from- Introduction to Statistics) and has 0 credits listed next to it.

After talking to the AAMC helpline, It seems like I should put this as exempt (even though its listed on my transcript under AP credits), but I don't know what to put in the title. Should I put "Introduction to Statistics" and have it be exempt? Or should I keep it as an AP credit but put 0 credits there? Has anyone ever done this before??

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

i've been searching for an answer to this question everywhere and cant find one. Also tried calling the help line and ended up even more confused.

I took an AP stat class in high school. I did not receive credit for it, however it allowed me to be exempt from an introductory class. It is listed on my transcript under "AP credits" and has STAT001 as its course code (the class code that I was exempt from- Introduction to Statistics) and has 0 credits listed next to it.

After talking to the AAMC helpline, It seems like I should put this as exempt (even though its listed on my transcript under AP credits), but I don't know what to put in the title. Should I put "Introduction to Statistics" and have it be exempt? Or should I keep it as an AP credit but put 0 credits there? Has anyone ever done this before??

Thank you for your help!

Follow the directions you were given and list it as exempt.

Also, page 45 of the AMCAS instruction manual says:

Exempt
Use Exempt to indicate courses that were completed but were not awarded credit hours.
No credit hours or AMCAS grade will be assigned. Exempt courses may include any
course that you were not required to complete because you had:
 Previously completed courses,
 Employment experience, or
 Passed a departmental exam.

Can I can list a course as exempt that isn't listed on my transcript?

I was passed through to a higher level course based on departmental exam. This appears nowhere on my transcript, but has lead to a slightly complicated situation regarding my prereqs that would be simplified greatly if I can just list the lower level course. I'm assuming this is a total pipe dream.

Last edited: