Exercise buffs? Food, stress, and school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skp

free to highest bidder
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all SDNers,

Since starting my prepharm coursework I've probably gained 20lbs in the last three years. I am pretty concerned about the next 4 years in pharmacy school at the rate this is going! Is their anyone out their who is winning (or fighting) this "battle of the buldge" and could give me some tips. I just can't seem to find time to fit exercise in my schedule with all my coursework, and when I'm under stress, I like to eat...talk about a bad cycle! I think I might even feel guilty if I took time away from studying to exercise... Can anyone relate?

As always-thanks,
skp

Members don't see this ad.

lol
get ready....
my prepharm years i lost weight

now in my 3rd year....
our ENTIRE class has gained on average 20lbs
men women everyone.

i have studied on treadmills and bicycles before but that requires typed out notes or something....

no advice from me.... sorry.
eat carrots for a snack

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Members don't see this ad :)
miss muffin,
please just lie to me next time

mmm...muffins

You should commit yourself to working out at least 3 times a week. Be sure to do at least 30 mins of cardio each of those days and be sure to lift weights. The more muscle you have the more calories you burn, even at rest! As far as diet is concerned DO NOT go on any fad diets that you will not keep up with as they will do more harm than good. The only diet I have found that works for me is low calorie. Don't feel guilty about working out we all need breaks every once in a while plus it will help relieve your stress and make you ready to study.

i don't eat when im stressed out so i guess i have a problem with gaining weight :(

skp said:
miss muffin,
please just lie to me next time

mmm...muffins
lol i'm sure it can be done....

i have friends who are planning on being able to afford lipo afterwards!

but again i'm sure someone knows how to stay in shape..

I've actually have lost 10 pounds since starting school (10 more before school). But it wasn't easy, it took a tremendous amount of effort. I started trying to lose weight before I decided to start going to school.

Ever since then, I've made eating right and exercising an important part of my life. I have to make it a priority to stay with it. Yes, it's difficult to stick with it and takes time to do (especially trying to cook healthy foods, it's so time consuming) but it's worth it. I feel better about myself and have more energy to get through my days, so it's time well spent. I'm a mother of 3 & 4 year old boys so I need my energy.

I do want to lose another 5-10 pounds but it's been hard. Right now to maintain my weight I've limited a lot of processed foods especially sugar. I try to eat foods as natural as possible. The more natural the food the healthier it is and the longer it takes to burn (keeping you full longer). No more fast food for me, that stuff is the worst! Lots of lean meats, fruits and veggies :)

Working out is an important part of the equation. Lifting weights is the basis of my program (I get lots of looks in the gym because I'm small and I'm one of the rare females trying to lift heavy). More muscle means more food I can eat :D

thanks, kylanjovan
sounds like you've got it together!

kylanjovan said:
I've actually have lost 10 pounds since starting school (10 more before school). But it wasn't easy, it took a tremendous amount of effort. I started trying to lose weight before I decided to start going to school.

Ever since then, I've made eating right and exercising an important part of my life. I have to make it a priority to stay with it. Yes, it's difficult to stick with it and takes time to do (especially trying to cook healthy foods, it's so time consuming) but it's worth it. I feel better about myself and have more energy to get through my days, so it's time well spent. I'm a mother of 3 & 4 year old boys so I need my energy.

I do want to lose another 5-10 pounds but it's been hard. Right now to maintain my weight I've limited a lot of processed foods especially sugar. I try to eat foods as natural as possible. The more natural the food the healthier it is and the longer it takes to burn (keeping you full longer). No more fast food for me, that stuff is the worst! Lots of lean meats, fruits and veggies :)

Working out is an important part of the equation. Lifting weights is the basis of my program (I get lots of looks in the gym because I'm small and I'm one of the rare females trying to lift heavy). More muscle means more food I can eat :D
i'm jealous
and yet still sitting on the couch....

i just think about it this way. Studying is important but in the long run what is more important? your health or your success?.. Well if you dont' take care of yourself, success won't really mean anything anyway! Its terribly difficult I must agree but I try to work out 4 times a week. Running is the best way to lose weight. 40-50 minutes each day at a comfortable pace. Try to cook at least one meal each day to avoid eating out too much. Make extras so you can eat leftovers. Squeeze in time to work out in between classes; early in the morning; late at night whenever.. It only takes an hour and half maximum per day. Shave off a little TV time, AIM time, and 1.5 hours isn't so bad. =) Goodluck!

pretty impressive crest29...are you in Pharm school already??
tx,
skp

Disclaimer: Sorry to everyone, don't hate me for posting this:

I'm in the prime of my life. Before my prepharm I was pretty chubby despite being pretty active in sports. When prepharm rolled around I started running more and more until I really developed a love for it. It was a way for me to get away from everything and be alone with God, my thoughts and music. After that I also picked up doing the occassional push ups/crunches/pull ups before going to bed.

2 years later, all this has infused itself into my life and I now almost have a six pack. (Come on! Freaking stupid lines won't come out completely! =D)

And seriously, I eat sooooooo much. I'm straight up a glutton. But it's simple math really, just burn more than you take in if you want to lose weight. By exercising, you increase the basal metabolism of your body which contributes a heck a lot more than that single session of exercise.

Sorry for me so long winded. =) But if you wanna lose the weight, you gotta put in the effort, much like life. =D But you can do it. Look at the dude from the subway commercials. =P

Although this is not related specifically to pharmacy, I find that some weeks I have to miss my workouts. I know I could fit it in there but sometimes I'm just overwhelmed.

My advice to those who say they don't have time: you have to make time. You'll end up using that excuse for a long time. Plus food is very important. Stay away from fried anything, soda, and sweets and you should be good.

:love: Fried anything :love: :love:

mmmm....

I may look healthy but man-o-man am I going to need to do something about my cholesterol. haha

nikkai said:
:love: Fried anything :love: :love:

mmmm....

I may look healthy but man-o-man am I going to need to do something about my cholesterol. haha
:thumbup: Fried chicken livers! The best! :)

I am going to start working out as soon as this semester is over.

I usually run at least 4 days a week.

I have dumbells at home, I use it for my Obliques, I also use my own body weight for example " chairs" for other kind of strengh trainning workout.

I hate going to the gym, and I don't even have that kind money for that matter.

As for nutrition, I eat whatever I want, but I try not to eat right before bed time... OATMEAL in the morning is the best thing ever...

skp,
i'm applying for pharm school right now!