Exercise Science and Age ?s

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by furious, May 20, 2001.

1. furious

furious Senior Member

Greetings all! I am new here to the boards and to the health profession in general. I have a few questions to ask of ye:

First, I am 30 years old and will not even be starting my Freshman year of college for another year. My major will be Exercise Science, with a minor either in Spanish or History. Opinions on these choices, please.
    Second, since I will be around 36 when I get my B.S, will my age hurt my chances of being accepted by a med school?
    Third, I have spent some time volunteering at the local doctor's office, basically janitorial stuff and following the nurses around. I feel my passion is in medicine and health. My main fear is being discriminated against because of my age. Any feedback from knowledgable people would be much apprecieated.

Peace all!

F

PS- Furious is a level of intensity, not an emotion. :cool:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. efex

efex Junior Member

I will be 36 when applying to medical school and I am a Wellness Promotion major. Your age will more than likely be an asset than a drawback at most medical schools. Just make sure that you have all the classes that you are required for entrance to medical school, you have good grades, and do well on the MCAT. Good luck!

4. pcl

pcl Senior Member

Age depends on the school also. Some schools are known for being more non-trad friendly.

Spanish is helpful IMO for any health professional. My ability is somewhat limited... I can speak enough to get my point across to coherent people and I can understand most of what is told to me. This isn't helpful when trying to tell someone that they will be intubated or to help differentiate between different types of chest pain. There is nothing more frustrating to me than to be unable to communicate clearly. I plan to work on becoming fluent over the next two years... History, on the other hand, is really interesting. I suppose you should weight the personal interest with the practicality of the minor.

Good Luck.

5. electra

electra SDN Moderator

hi there,

I finished my degree last year (May 2000) at 32, and will start medical school this fall. I found that I was a better student than I had been earlier in my life, as well as more focused than most of my classmates, who were far more interested in partying, etc.
    I don't have a good answer as to the age discrimination thing, but I do feel that, all things equal, osteopathic schools were far more receptive to the idea of an older student. All schools tell you that they are looking for well-rounded, unique individuals, and that age doesn't matter, but it sure seems like when you go and check out the campuses of allopathic schools, that isn't true.
    I say, go for it!
    electra

6. Benzeno

Benzeno Member

Resident [Any Field]
    When interviewed by a top 20 school the 1st question I was asked was-

Why should I take a position away from a 25-year-old and give it to an old man like you? (I'm 41)

Will your age effect your chances? Of course!
    Will it stop you from achieving your goal? No way! (I was accepted)

If you believe you can do a thing, or not, you are right on both occasions.

7. rokka

rokka Junior Member

Hi furious,

As far as exercise science goes, I have known five people in the last two years from my school who have gone into the medical program at the state medical school. You probably will have to take additional science coursework, so try to knock that out sooner than later. I had to finish up pre reqs after I graduated, but just got accepted last friday.