Expect interview invites in Jan/Feb?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Imogen

Class of 2017!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently applying to med schools and for health related reasons, I was a later applicant. My secondaries were all turned in in the month of November.

I applied to 25 schools (trying to cast my net a bit wider due to being late) and I got interview invites from 4 of them in late November/December. I was rejected outright from one today, but besides that, I haven't heard anything from schools since about December 10th.

I've called a few of my schools, and most of them say they are interviewing 'till April, or even May, and that they will review everyone, etc, so that made me feel a bit better but I guess I was just getting antsy at this silence. Most of the schools that got back to me so fast were state schools, so I started to worry that these invites were just a fluke. Moreover, some others on SDN seemed to imply that interview invites after Christmas were not common...

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or advice about this. I'm trying not to fret!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I am currently applying to med schools and for health related reasons, I was a later applicant. My secondaries were all turned in in the month of November.

I applied to 25 schools (trying to cast my net a bit wider due to being late) and I got interview invites from 4 of them in late November/December. I was rejected outright from one today, but besides that, I haven't heard anything from schools since about December 10th.

I've called a few of my schools, and most of them say they are interviewing 'till April, or even May, and that they will review everyone, etc, so that made me feel a bit better but I guess I was just getting antsy at this silence. Most of the schools that got back to me so fast were state schools, so I started to worry that these invites were just a fluke. Moreover, some others on SDN seemed to imply that interview invites after Christmas were not common...

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or advice about this. I'm trying not to fret!

you should be happy with 4 IIs, i was complete in most places around late july and i've only had 2 so far...i looked at many past school specific threads and it looks like a lot give IIs into January and February, so I think you should be ok.

Hi everyone,

invites still come in Jan, even Feb. be patient grasshopper

Members don't see this ad :)
you should be happy with 4 IIs, i was complete in most places around late july and i've only had 2 so far...i looked at many past school specific threads and it looks like a lot give IIs into January and February, so I think you should be ok.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely very very grateful for the interviews I have thus far. I do hope you get more interviews too!

Reactions: 1 user
Oh yeah, I'm definitely very very grateful for the interviews I have thus far. I do hope you get more interviews too!

thanks, same to you! i didn't mean to seem that i thought you had a superior attitude or anything. my main point is that i think many schools still give out IIs in January and February, and i hope we both get some more invites. good luck!

So I happened to mention my current interview invite situation to my pre-med advisor and she claimed that most invitations are handed out before Christmas and that I probably wouldn't get many more now. When I mentioned that my application was later, and that perhaps it would just take the schools more time to review and send me an invite, she said "well this is why you should have applied earlier."

Anyway, I'm not sure what to make of my advisor's assertions. Especially since 2 on SDN have just assured me that interview invites ARE extended after Christmas. I'd love to hear anyone else chime in about this.

So I happened to mention my current interview invite situation to my pre-med advisor and she claimed that most invitations are handed out before Christmas and that I probably wouldn't get many more now. When I mentioned that my application was later, and that perhaps it would just take the schools more time to review and send me an invite, she said "well this is why you should have applied earlier."

Anyway, I'm not sure what to make of my advisor's assertions. Especially since 2 on SDN have just assured me that interview invites ARE extended after Christmas. I'd love to hear anyone else chime in about this.

This is definitely highly dependent on the schools you are still waiting on. Some schools have already finished or are finishing their interview seasons in the next few weeks. Given that most schools notify you of an interview invite at least 3-4 weeks in advance, I wouldn't expect any more invitations will be given out from these schools. However, many schools interview well into February and some even interview until March/April. While that window of 3-4 weeks is starting to close in on February, there is definitely still time. If you're really curious, take a look at previous interview invite trends by looking at last year's school specific forums to see when the last interview invite was reported. I usually just google "2011-2012 "school name" sdn"