Expectations about Dook!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wahoo07

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After looking at Duke's horrendous secondary, I'm questioning if I am at all competitive for this school. I'm going to finish the secondary regardless, but I'd just like everyone's opinion of my chances of getting in. :eek:

I'm an asian male, overall and BCPM GPA is 3.44, 10V 12P 11B, some ok EC's including two years volunteering in a clinical setting. No research experience.

So, what do you think. Do I have a shot at Dook? :confused:

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It is possible for you to get in. I would not bet money on you. No offense, but it's hard to get into Duke no matter who you are.

But don't let the secondary deter you. That should NOT prevent you from applying anywhere.

GPA seems a bit low, and you don't have research experience. It seems research is really important at U of Chicago-Pritzker and Duke....

Not sure what your chances are, but prolly not good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback. :) Clearly, this is one of my wow-it-would-be-really-great-if-I-got-in reach schools, but I thought I should at least give it a shot. Now all I have to do is wade through this beast they call a secondary... :sleep:

'Dook' is derogatory for Dukies everywhere. Do NOT use that word if you plan on applying to Duke, either in application, interview, or conversation.

Only Tarheels (and they have their own problems) say 'Dook.'

GO DUKE and Good Luck with the application!!

Originally posted by DukeBluDevl02
'Dook' is derogatory for Dukies everywhere. Do NOT use that word if you plan on applying to Duke, either in application, interview, or conversation.

Only Tarheels (and they have their own problems) say 'Dook.'

GO DUKE and Good Luck with the application!!

"Dukies" is OK though?

Wahoo--I haven't seen this year's secondary--what makes Duke's app so terrible?

I'll never say Dook again. I'll say Duke. But any way you spell it as you say it, duke blows.

chihuahua - It's just really really really really long. :sleep: There have been two threads on Duke's secondary in the past few days. Check em out.

Originally posted by Adcadet

"Dukies" is OK though?

It'll always be "Dookies" in my book.

Hmm. I think I'm responsible for the alternate spelling of that school in Durham. Just to make a point-- if you like the school (God help you), always always ALWAYS call it Duke, and leave Dook to those of us who know better.

I repeat-- if you really like the school, don't call it Dook! The people there really don't like it!!

Yup, I'm gonna have to second that- "Dook" is a derogatory term used only by us Tarheels or other "Dook-haters" ;)

(Hmm..so us Tarheels have problems? At least we got a football team...:p)

But no hate, even though I think that most Dookies (of course not all) are rich, arrogant, cocky kids who think that mommy and daddy will pay for everything...

Nice campus and dorms though :laugh:

Go HEELS!!:D

Originally posted by jot
wait - so there is a rivalry between the schools?
;)

Nope. There's no rivalry between UNC and the University of New Jersey at Durham (not to offend any New Jersey folks out there). UNC and Dook hold a high degree of respect for each other, which is especially evident during the basketball season. We cheer each other on, would never dream of insulting the other team's players, coach, or cheerleaders, and we never have street parties when (just for an example) the other team loses the ncaa national championship. There's nothing but good vibes and warm fuzzy feelings on the two ends of Tobacco Road!!

Seriously, though... Duke does have great dorms. But with the amount of $ you have to fork over to go there, I would expect first-class living accomadations.

Go Heels.

Originally posted by Adcadet
"Dukies" is OK though?

Only if you're Dick Vitale...and he's annoying. ;)

-RA