SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Expectations about Dook!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Wahoo07, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Wahoo07

Wahoo07 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 10, 2002
    After looking at Duke's horrendous secondary, I'm questioning if I am at all competitive for this school. I'm going to finish the secondary regardless, but I'd just like everyone's opinion of my chances of getting in. :eek:

I'm an asian male, overall and BCPM GPA is 3.44, 10V 12P 11B, some ok EC's including two years volunteering in a clinical setting. No research experience.

So, what do you think. Do I have a shot at Dook? :confused:

Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat 7+ Year Member

Jan 30, 2002
    California
    It is possible for you to get in. I would not bet money on you. No offense, but it's hard to get into Duke no matter who you are.

But don't let the secondary deter you. That should NOT prevent you from applying anywhere.

4. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27 10+ Year Member

GPA seems a bit low, and you don't have research experience. It seems research is really important at U of Chicago-Pritzker and Duke....

Not sure what your chances are, but prolly not good.

5. Wahoo07

Jun 10, 2002
    Thanks for the feedback. :) Clearly, this is one of my wow-it-would-be-really-great-if-I-got-in reach schools, but I thought I should at least give it a shot. Now all I have to do is wade through this beast they call a secondary... :sleep:

6. DukeBluDevl02

DukeBluDevl02 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

May 31, 2002
    Ohio
    'Dook' is derogatory for Dukies everywhere. Do NOT use that word if you plan on applying to Duke, either in application, interview, or conversation.

Only Tarheels (and they have their own problems) say 'Dook.'

GO DUKE and Good Luck with the application!!

7. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27 10+ Year Member

"Dukies" is OK though?

8. chihuahua

chihuahua New Member

May 19, 2002
    Wahoo--I haven't seen this year's secondary--what makes Duke's app so terrible?

9. wfu2005

wfu2005 Member 7+ Year Member

May 8, 2002
    NC
    I'll never say Dook again. I'll say Duke. But any way you spell it as you say it, duke blows.

10. Wahoo07

Jun 10, 2002
    chihuahua - It's just really really really really long. :sleep: There have been two threads on Duke's secondary in the past few days. Check em out.

11. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door Physician 10+ Year Member

It'll always be "Dookies" in my book.

Hmm. I think I'm responsible for the alternate spelling of that school in Durham. Just to make a point-- if you like the school (God help you), always always ALWAYS call it Duke, and leave Dook to those of us who know better.

I repeat-- if you really like the school, don't call it Dook! The people there really don't like it!!

12. DukeBluDevl02

DukeBluDevl02 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

May 31, 2002
    Ohio
  13. jenv1082

jenv1082 Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Chapel Hill
    Yup, I'm gonna have to second that- "Dook" is a derogatory term used only by us Tarheels or other "Dook-haters" ;)

(Hmm..so us Tarheels have problems? At least we got a football team...:p)

But no hate, even though I think that most Dookies (of course not all) are rich, arrogant, cocky kids who think that mommy and daddy will pay for everything...

Nice campus and dorms though :laugh:

Go HEELS!!:D

14. jot

jot

wait - so there is a rivalry between the schools?

;)

15. Sweet Tea

Nope. There's no rivalry between UNC and the University of New Jersey at Durham (not to offend any New Jersey folks out there). UNC and Dook hold a high degree of respect for each other, which is especially evident during the basketball season. We cheer each other on, would never dream of insulting the other team's players, coach, or cheerleaders, and we never have street parties when (just for an example) the other team loses the ncaa national championship. There's nothing but good vibes and warm fuzzy feelings on the two ends of Tobacco Road!!

Seriously, though... Duke does have great dorms. But with the amount of $ you have to fork over to go there, I would expect first-class living accomadations.

Go Heels.

16. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Only if you're Dick Vitale...and he's annoying. ;)

-RA

17. Sweet Tea

something both dookies and tarheels agree on... dick vitale needs to go.