expecting interviews...should I tell my profs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ak47

flossy flossy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to go back to school for SENIOR YEAR! I'm doing secondaries right now. I haven't received any interviews yet, but I am expecting some. Should I tell give my professors a heads-up at the beginning of the semester that I am in the process of applying to d-school and might be missing some class this semester? Or should I wait until I have invites and tell them as soon as I know when I'll be gone? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm about to go back to school for SENIOR YEAR! I'm doing secondaries right now. I haven't received any interviews yet, but I am expecting some. Should I tell give my professors a heads-up at the beginning of the semester that I am in the process of applying to d-school and might be missing some class this semester? Or should I wait until I have invites and tell them as soon as I know when I'll be gone? Thanks!

So you want to tell your profs that you might get an interview and you might miss some classes and you want to make sure they are in standby mode?

So you want to tell your profs that you might get an interview and you might miss some classes and you want to make sure they are in standby mode?

Sounds like he/she might be a little excited

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a good idea, and I don't see why these guys are making jokes about it. Yeah, just let them know that you might [Yes, you might!] miss a couple of sessions because of your interviews.

This is a good idea, and I don't see why these guys are making jokes about it. Yeah, just let them know that you might [Yes, you might!] miss a couple of sessions because of your interviews.

And you will be able to find out if professors are willing to give any make-up exam. So, you can drop it if they aren't.

And you might not! Why not wait until you know something? If I was a professor and a student said they might be missing class for an interview I would say, "Okaaayy, let me know if that is REALLY going to happen."

And you might not! Why not wait until you know something? If I was a professor and a student said they might be missing class for an interview I would say, "Okaaayy, let me know if that is REALLY going to happen."

Exactly, so thats why you tell the professor beforehand, so that you can find out if they are ok with it right away and you dont end up missing tests and getting screwed over by an idiot professor.

What's the big deal on this MIGHT thing bro? if he might not get one, it does not mean you might get one more. Chill out.
And what is wrong if the professor says, "Okaaayy, let me know if that is REALLY going to happen."?

What's the big deal on this MIGHT thing bro? if he might not get one, it does not mean you might get one more. Chill out.
And what is wrong if the professor says, "Okaaayy, let me know if that is REALLY going to happen."?

harrygt.....................IMO I think you should at least let your professor's know that you have applied to dental school for the 2009 year and wanted to let them know so that they are aware of the possibility of you being absent from class due to interviews. I think that most professors will respect that you took the time to step up and keep them informed instead of blowing the calss off for your own personal reasons.

Last edited:
harrygt.....................IMO I think you should at least let your professor's know that you have applied to dental school for the 2009 year and wanted to let them know so that they are aware of the possibility of you being absent from class due to interviews. I think that most professors will respect that you took the time to step up and keep them informed instead of blowing the calss off for your own personal reasons.

What does ths have to do with what harry said??

my response was to this question. Not to the b/s that is perplexing among the posting. Sorry if I miss quoted and confused anyone.

Most professors are understanding. Regardless, if you do get an interview, nothing is going to stop you from going. The odds of having an exam on the day of the interview is not that high. In that case, you can make it up before or after. Plus, going to class is overrated in undergrad :D

Most professors are understanding. Regardless, if you do get an interview, nothing is going to stop you from going. The odds of having an exam on the day of the interview is not that high. In that case, you can make it up before or after. Plus, going to class is overrated in undergrad :D

that depends, do you go to a small school where there are only like 50 people in each class and the prof knows your name? is attendance mandatory or highly encouraged? will the prof even notice that you're gone? are you doing a thesis project that its just 1on1 and you'll fall behind on your work? will you be missing exams/tests? if so, then i guess you could give them the heads up, but you might look a little ridiculous if you dont get that interview lol..

I would personally hold off until you officially get an interview

Members don't see this ad :)
that depends, do you go to a small school where there are only like 50 people in each class and the prof knows your name? is attendance mandatory or highly encouraged? will the prof even notice that you're gone? are you doing a thesis project that its just 1on1 and you'll fall behind on your work? will you be missing exams/tests? if so, then i guess you could give them the heads up, but you might look a little ridiculous if you dont get that interview lol..

I would personally hold off until you officially get an interview

I agree, you would look a little dumb if you didn't get an interview. Don't be an eager beaver, just wait till you get one because by the time you do, you'll have some time to tell the professor ahead of time.

Yea but some teachers dont care what it is your missing class for. Try to take teachers that are more lenient on attendance and make sure not to miss other classes so you can take the time off for an interview

Tell them after you have an interview invite in your hand. Unless you go to a small school or have a very small class, your professors aren't even going to remember you talked to them and if they do, they won't likely remember who you are.

To the OP:

Approach the professor early in the semester and inform him/her. This shows that you have respect for him/her and he will probably make some accommodation's for you if you end up leaving around a test date.

To the OP:

Approach the professor early in the semester and inform him/her. This shows that you have respect for him/her and he will probably make some accommodation's for you if you end up leaving around a test date.

Maybe Polarmolar has a good point.

Maybe Polarmolar has a good point.

Yes he does. It's always good idea to inform of your situation beforehand so that professors has a chance to accommodate the student. Nothing worse than ambushing the professor when the syllabus clearly states "missing a test will result a 0 with no chance for retake".

Yes he does. It's always good idea to inform of your situation beforehand so that professors has a chance to accommodate the student. Nothing worse than ambushing the professor when the syllabus clearly states "missing a test will result a 0 with no chance for retake".

:thumbup: Very true. I guess the interviews I scheduled, I could actually choose the date. Maybe that isn't true of all schools and so in that case, I agree, fully.

You may also find that if the syllabus has that statement there are no exceptions even for special occasions including interviews.

You may also find that if the syllabus has that statement there are no exceptions even for special occasions including interviews.

However I never remembered seeing anything like this. I mean the whole point of college is to promote your future. I can't imagine they can deny you an opportunity like that unless there was an option to change the interview date...or I'm sure there could be some legal issues.

I agree with all of the people telling the haters to chill out - its a valid question. In response to the question: I also agree that you should let the professors know that you might be missing some classes. Also, I noticed that the majority of my interviews (I had 5) were scheduled for Fridays or Mondays, and the majority also gave me a couple different days to choose from. So I was able to avoid major tests, and I scheduled my classes for that semester with classes that I could potentially miss without hurting my grades for the MWF schedule. When scheduling your interviews, if they give you options before and after Dec 1st, I would for sure schedule them before Dec 1st, because I think that it increases your chances of getting accepted.

However I never remembered seeing anything like this. I mean the whole point of college is to promote your future. I can't imagine they can deny you an opportunity like that unless there was an option to change the interview date...or I'm sure there could be some legal issues.

You may not but that doesn't mean it is not there. With some schools changing the interview date is not an option; and when it is it may push the interview date beyond Dec 1. Legal issues? Tell that to the judge.

I go to a huge school but I am taking some smaller classes with like 25 or so other people. I think I will just let the profs know that I am applying to d-school and will keep them updated. Thanks for all the feedback.

:)thumbdown to the haters) - like you aren't expecting even 1 interview? c'mon......

Well in that case the student can drop the course or the professor may be willing to bend the rules a little since he/she was told way beforehand at the beginning of the course. I would suggest to the OP see if the professor is willing to bend the rules to accommodate if not drop the course.

I go to a huge school but I am taking some smaller classes with like 25 or so other people. I think I will just let the profs know that I am applying to d-school and will keep them updated. Thanks for all the feedback.
:)thumbdown to the haters) - like you aren't expecting even 1 interview? c'mon......

You ask for advice and when the opinions do not match your conclusions, they automatically are labeled as "haters".

Well in that case the student can drop the course or the professor may be willing to bend the rules a little since he/she was told way beforehand at the beginning of the course. I would suggest to the OP see if the professor is willing to bend the rules to accommodate if not drop the course.

lol i'm pretty sure every school has an ombudsperson that will let you miss an exam for an interview.

You ask for advice and when the opinions do not match your conclusions, they automatically are labeled as "haters".

The OP asked a sincere question seeking advice about informing professors just in case he got an interview.

Your "might" filled response did not answer the OP's question and thus was useless.

If it wasn't useless then please explain to all of us how, because reading it it seems like there was no point in what you wrote at all.

Haha, I don't know why I'm being labeled a "hater" here. I go to a big school. My biochem class has over 100 students in it. The professor would not even notice my absence thus it would be irrelevant to tell him about something that may or may not happen on some possible vague day. Simply I would just wait until I had an interview in hand. They give you plenty of time to make arrangements and see if it conflicts with any important lecture or exam. If it does, then I'm sure the professor would accomodate and if he did not, then the school would. I'm sure universities want their students getting into to dental school so they will be very accomodating. It's not hating, it's responding to the question.

Last edited:
The OP asked a sincere question seeking advice about informing professors just in case he got an interview.
Your "might" filled response did not answer the OP's question and thus was useless.
If it wasn't useless then please explain to all of us how, because reading it it seems like there was no point in what you wrote at all.

"Sincere" advice must be spelled out since not so subtle comments are apparently missed. But you are right. In this case the advice was useless.

Last edited: