Expelled at foreign school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cluppo1

Reaction score
After high school i went straight to an Egyptian dental school and was kicked out after 3 years for possessing marijuana. I was also caught with marijuana once before in the dorms. Obviously, i don’t want to report this. Will medical schools call this foreign school, pre-matriculation, to verify any institutional actions? I have turned my life around and it has been 3 years since the incident. I now go to a US 4-year undergrad and have no institutional actions and don’t smoke anymore. I am also involved in a recovery community on campus and have a leadership role.

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Applying to US medical schools will require you to:
1) list EVERY school that you have attended. This would include the Egyptian dental school
2) list ANY institutional action which you include expulsion

Failure to report this would leave you open to unethical behavior and subject to being banned from ever applying

having said that, you would be much better off reporting this on the AMCAS application in a VERY BRIEF explanation (3-5 sentences at most)

“Due to both strict laws and societal attitude within Egypt, I was removed from dental program for wholly non-academic reasons, namely Marijuana possession in YEAR. Since then I have been attending XX college and have a leadership role in the recovery community on campus”

THATS ALL
Don’t you think there is a possibility they will see this as not taking responsibility because i am putting it on societal norms? Should i mention that i have committed to staying sober?

Don’t you think there is a possibility they will see this as not taking responsibility because i am putting it on societal norms? Should i mention that i have committed to staying sober?

The societal norms in the US is that this would not get you kicked out of the university. Social norms are different there. It's not an excuse but it does place the school's action in context.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The societal norms in the US is that this would not get you kicked out of the university. Social norms are different there. It's not an excuse but it does place the school's action in context.
Should i still express remorse?

Not to mention, something like this may very easily come to light in medical school or even further down the line when you're practicing. I can't say with certainty that failing to disclose something like this would get you kicked out of school or get your license revoked, but do you really want that possibility hanging over your head for your entire career?

Are you sorry you did it or just sorry that you got caught? Do you have a hard time following other rules?
I am very sorry and I still have horrible remorse from it especially because I was warned once. I don’t have any problems following rules anymore and I have not touched any substances since then. I also got a DUI in 2017 that was dismissed last week.

While I agree with @LizzyM sentiments, since the DUI was dismissed is does not have to be reported. Also is my original suggestion for a "blurb" does include a comment as being part of a recovery community. That is all the remorse you need to mention
So you are telling me after all that there is still hope? I will still report my DUI in secondaries