Expelled from Ivy League school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sanmateo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I was expelled from an Ivy League school for basically pulling off a stupid political hoax. I was never arrested or charged with anything. I have no other discipline issues and can probably get a good recommendation from my professors at the Ivy League school. I transferred to another good school (ranked in the top 80 in the country by US News and W. Report). My overall GPA is strong, around a 3.8. And my science GPA is a 3.8, too. I'm in the category of "under-represented" and I earned MCAT scores of 12 on the physical; 13 on biological; and 13 on verbal. I also earned an "R" on the writing section.

I'm involved in community healthcare at a clinic for the uninsured and Spanish speakings.

I wonder if I even have a shot at getting into an American medical school. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, and I forgot to add that it has been more than two years since I was expelled.

All you can do is disclose it on AMCAS, and tell the facts without trying to sugar coat what you did, because you can be sure that med schools will want to see dean's letters and the like from this school.

Even in your description here you are trying to minimize what you did (no charges, no arrest) - yeah, but you got freaking EXPELLED which is not exactly an everyday thing. You are going to have to be a bit more contrite in your PS and when asked about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are amazing and it sounds like your clinical experience is good too... but there are obviously going to be some schools that trash your app just because of this. Because of that, make sure you apply to a lot of schools to maximize your chances of one of them taking a flier on you. I think you'll find one that will take you, but there aren't any guarantees.

i think you'll be fine actually, just explain this thourougly when the time comes. i think these background checks are just to make sure you dont have a history of abusing something you would have easy access to as a doctor.

Does AMCAS ask you to submitt Dean's letters as well -- especially if you indicate any institutional action (i.e., expulsions, suspension, etc)?

Yes,
sanmateo,
they'll ask you to disclose all this.
I agree with the above...you have a strong application on paper, but you'll have to explain what you did. It usually takes something that's a pretty big deal to get someone expelled. If you showed any evidence of disrespect for other races or sexism, etc. it could affect your application more than if it was truly something really silly. I'm thinking there's more to this story than what you are saying, since it got you booted from school. We don't need to know the details, though.

Hi. I was expelled from an Ivy League school for basically pulling off a stupid political hoax. I was never arrested or charged with anything. I have no other discipline issues and can probably get a good recommendation from my professors at the Ivy League school. I transferred to another good school (ranked in the top 80 in the country by US News and W. Report). My overall GPA is strong, around a 3.8. And my science GPA is a 3.8, too. I'm in the category of "under-represented" and I earned MCAT scores of 12 on the physical; 13 on biological; and 13 on verbal. I also earned an "R" on the writing section.

I'm involved in community healthcare at a clinic for the uninsured and Spanish speakings.

I wonder if I even have a shot at getting into an American medical school. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Share the deets and you'll get a more informed consensus from SDN. Or at least PM it to some of us...

What you did could range from something that simply got on the nerves of your dean or it could have been much, much more serious so who knows.

alot of schools will just see: URM with a 3.8/38 and will forgive many offenses short of drunk driving and murder....i wouldn't be surprised if schools with (lesser stats < 35 median MCAT) end up scrambling to get you on board in the hopes that more competitive schools have disqualified you because of the institutional action