Expelled from pharmd program. opinions on 2nd chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmaballer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I was expelled from a PharmD program and am currently applying to transfer to a new program. I'm an addict and while I was using I made many mistakes and (may have) had a run-in with the law, which lead to my expulsion. Since my expulsion, I've entered a program of recovery and have been sober for a year. Also, the legal issues (I may/may not have had) were dismissed. Being a pharmacist has been my dream since I was a little kid (ironic, I know) and I couldn't go on without giving my dream a second shot now that I'm in recovery.

I was in my final year of the PharmD program when I was expelled. Had decent grades (~3.4 PharmCAS gpa) and am taking the PCAT soon (using Dr Collins). Also have 5+ years experience in retail as an intern & CPhT. If my references are good, given this info I'd like to know your thoughts on how open you believe universities will be in giving me a second shot at my dream. I've applied to about 10 schools. Look forward to hearing your responses!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm very sorry to hear about that. Your stats are EXCELLENT, and it's an utter shame that you are not allowed to take pharamcy school when you are this close to your goal. I'm not sure, but I think pharmCAS just MAY let you into the program again after a couple of years have passed. I remember answering the "have you committed any felonies in the past" question, and I think it will only ask you if you've comitted any felonies within a certain time period or so; I'm not entirely certain. Hopefully, PharmCAS won't ask for your felonies 3 years in the past, and you can get into a pharmacy school if you wait long enough, I'm not sure.

If you've been convicted a lot of states won't allow you to sit for the boards. With that being said, schools don't want a student who won't be allowed to sit for the boards. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
No convictions! Charges were dismissed. I don't need to disclose a dismissal on the PharmCAS. Additionally, the PharmCAS says that dismissals are excluded from the background check.

No convictions! Charges were dismissed. I don't need to disclose a dismissal on the PharmCAS. Additionally, the PharmCAS says that dismissals are excluded from the background check.
Then it seems you're all set. If your charges where dismissed, and won't show up with PharmCAS, then you should live life to the fullest, and make sure to not make those mistakes again! You have a new lease on life now; live it by not going back to your old one.

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone makes mistakes, and thankfully your mistakes were dismissed. However, be ready to explain to all your new pharmacy schools why you were expelled from your first PharmD program. You will have to sent a transcript from all college classes you have taken in the United States (which includes your PharmD program). So although your charges were dismissed, you may still have to confront the issue.
Some schools may be hesitant about accepting you, but stay positive! It seems that you authentically changed your life around (going to rehab/staying sober) so as long as you portray to schools in your essay/interview that you have had a big change of heart, then you should be ok. Good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I was expelled from a PharmD program and am currently applying to transfer to a new program. I'm an addict and while I was using I made many mistakes and (may have) had a run-in with the law, which lead to my expulsion. Since my expulsion, I've entered a program of recovery and have been sober for a year. Also, the legal issues (I may/may not have had) were dismissed. Being a pharmacist has been my dream since I was a little kid (ironic, I know) and I couldn't go on without giving my dream a second shot now that I'm in recovery.

I was in my final year of the PharmD program when I was expelled. Had decent grades (~3.4 PharmCAS gpa) and am taking the PCAT soon (using Dr Collins). Also have 5+ years experience in retail as an intern & CPhT. If my references are good, given this info I'd like to know your thoughts on how open you believe universities will be in giving me a second shot at my dream. I've applied to about 10 schools. Look forward to hearing your responses!

You will may get a second chance, especially from lower tier schools or even middle tier. However, you almost certainly will have to explain what happened and why it won't happen again this time.

Nice! Thank you all for your supportive replies. I absolutely have to explain to schools why I was dismissed. I dedicated a portion of my personal statement to explaining how I've accepted my problem and taken action to change and grow from it. Just took the PCAT yesterday too and did well on it (92 composite), so hopefully that'll help. I'm staying positive and my plan is to finish a Biology BS next year if I don't get in to pharmacy school. Then, I'd like to re-apply with a B.S. because I think I'll stand a much better chance.

Thought I'd keep this thread alive to give some folks hope who might find themselves in a similar situation. I just got 2 interview invitations at Samford University and Union University. They're on 1/24 and 1/18. So excited!! I'll keep you posted on how they go!

Congrats! I'm in a sort of similar situation...I had medical issues ~5 years ago that resulted in a dramatic GPA drop. As in I had a great GPA before, three failing semesters, and an even better GPA after I took time off and got treatment. Consequently, my cumulative GPA is subpar (below/bordering a lot of minimum cutoffs). Other than that, my work since then is excellent, I have a job as a tech, and got a 99 composite on the PCATs this past week. I'm trying to contact schools I'm applying to and introduce myself and my situation so hopefully my app isn't automatically thrown in the garbage. I'm truly hoping that I have the same results you're getting, and that my personal progress is acknowledged/I'm not judged solely on my past.

Nice! Thank you all for your supportive replies. I absolutely have to explain to schools why I was dismissed. I dedicated a portion of my personal statement to explaining how I've accepted my problem and taken action to change and grow from it. Just took the PCAT yesterday too and did well on it (92 composite), so hopefully that'll help. I'm staying positive and my plan is to finish a Biology BS next year if I don't get in to pharmacy school. Then, I'd like to re-apply with a B.S. because I think I'll stand a much better chance.
All the best. Stay positive in your search but above all, stay clean.

I have a hypothetical question for you - if they had to make a choice between you and a candidate with equal stats, how would you justify giving you the seat over the other candidate? I'm not trying to be judgmental, but I think it is a valid question, especially when you are expected to handle narcotics and other controlled substances on a regular basis. A year of sobriety is a good start, but how could you reassure me that this wouldn't happen again in the future? Unfortunately, relapses occur all too often in the world of drug abuse; some people need to "quit" a dozen times before they finally get their priorities in order. Again, I'm not judging you at all - you would certainly not be the first pharmacy student/pharmacist to make this mistake. Good luck in your efforts, I hope you are able to stay clean!

Thought I'd keep this thread alive to give some folks hope who might find themselves in a similar situation. I just got 2 interview invitations at Samford University and Union University. They're on 1/24 and 1/18. So excited!! I'll keep you posted on how they go!

Samford University is a good school, good luck.

I have a hypothetical question for you - if they had to make a choice between you and a candidate with equal stats, how would you justify giving you the seat over the other candidate? I'm not trying to be judgmental, but I think it is a valid question, especially when you are expected to handle narcotics and other controlled substances on a regular basis. A year of sobriety is a good start, but how could you reassure me that this wouldn't happen again in the future? Unfortunately, relapses occur all too often in the world of drug abuse; some people need to "quit" a dozen times before they finally get their priorities in order. Again, I'm not judging you at all - you would certainly not be the first pharmacy student/pharmacist to make this mistake. Good luck in your efforts, I hope you are able to stay clean!

Those who fail and find the strength to recover have a resilience that is amazing. Others, especially those who are too successful, are often untested and may react poorly when faced with adversity.

Thank you for this! You make an excellent point that is likely to be brought up in an interview. The attitude that I've taken is that everyone makes mistakes and faces various obstacles throughout life's journey. However, it is incumbent on the individual to grow from these and become a better person. It's how the individual deals with these obstacles that determine his/her true character and ultimately life happiness. Although relapses do occur, and statistically speaking the odds are against me, I realize that my disease is life-long and for this reason I take my recovery very seriously each and every day. I choose to see my experience as a strength because it has forced me to grasp and develop a manner of living in which I must hold myself to a higher standard of honesty, compassion, and open-mindedness. For if I turn away from this manner of living, I will loose everything and likely be doomed to an alcoholic/addict death. For this reason I believe that I'm no less desirable of a candidate than an applicant with simply equal stats.

If you havn't taken the PCAT then how could you possibly be in your last year of a PharmD program...you havn't even started it. I'm currently in pharmacy school and I have been arrested 3 times. Once for open container, and twice for drunk in public/ disorderly conduct. These all occurred before I applied to pharmacy school and luckily I was able to get all of them dismissed. You need to make sure that your state will expunge your record b/c even if you did have your case dismissed it will still show on background checks until you fill out the expungement paperwork.

If you havn't taken the PCAT then how could you possibly be in your last year of a PharmD program...you havn't even started it. I'm currently in pharmacy school and I have been arrested 3 times. Once for open container, and twice for drunk in public/ disorderly conduct. These all occurred before I applied to pharmacy school and luckily I was able to get all of them dismissed. You need to make sure that your state will expunge your record b/c even if you did have your case dismissed it will still show on background checks until you fill out the expungement paperwork.
Thanks for your reply. I was in a PharmD program that didn't require the PCAT upon admission. I hope to get my record sealed this summer. I plan on having to explain to schools about my arrest at my interviews.

Just had my interview at Samford. They focused a lot about what had happened when I was dismissed from my former school, which was good because it gave me the opportunity to be honest and tell them how the experience has changed my life.

What a wonderful school, I hope I get in! The friendly environment, unique opportunities for students, and the school's student-tailored approach had me in awe. They told me that decisions will be sent out no later than a week. I'll keep you posted.

good luck. everyone deserves a second chance but not too many will get a third.

Hi Everyone! Just thought I'd give an update. I was rejected from Samford, but admitted to two schools. I received 5 invitations to interview throughout the process, so if you're like me there is hope! My interviews were at Albany COP, South Carolina COP, Union, and Samford. I really clicked with a professor during my interview at Union and generally liked the program there better than Union's. I am waiting to hear back from South Carolina COP on Monday. If admitted I will go there to pursue a PhD/PharmD dual degree.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone! Just thought I'd give an update. I was rejected from Samford, but admitted to Shenandoah and Union. I received 5 invitations to interview throughout the process, so if you're like me there is hope! My interviews were at Albany COP, South Carolina COP, Shenandoah, Union, and Samford. I really clicked with a professor during my interview at Shenandoah and generally liked the program there better than Union's. I am waiting to hear back from South Carolina COP on Monday. If admitted I will go there to pursue a PhD/PharmD dual degree.

excellent news !! GL :)

Hi Everyone! Just thought I'd give an update. I was rejected from Samford, but admitted to Shenandoah and Union. I received 5 invitations to interview throughout the process, so if you're like me there is hope! My interviews were at Albany COP, South Carolina COP, Shenandoah, Union, and Samford. I really clicked with a professor during my interview at Shenandoah and generally liked the program there better than Union's. I am waiting to hear back from South Carolina COP on Monday. If admitted I will go there to pursue a PhD/PharmD dual degree.

I'm really happy to hear things worked out. Congratulations. I am now facing the same problem. I was in a top 10 school and was expelled. I have a mental disability I just learned about and now have everything under control. Unfortunately, everyone I talk to and every school I look at requires that I be in good standing with the school to transition in. I would really appreciate some advice on this. How and where should I apply? I was a P4 when I was expelled. please help.