Expensive equipment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halaljello

Hot Oil
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
we're having an equipment sale at our school and some of the prices are like around $600! thats more than my rent! all i need is a decent opthalmascope/otoscope.

i went to allheart.com and saw some in the 275-400 dollar range. are these the same, or are they "sub par"? do i really need to shell out a ton of cash and buy a really high tech one..? or will somthing in a lower price range be ok? what model(s) do any of you guys suggest?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you sure you even need one right now?

Every clinic I've been to has them on the wall, and most wards have at least one set kicking around.

I guess it depends on your program, but we've been told to hold off until we start our own practice.

This subject has been discussed extensively in the past. If you do a search of the forums, you will probably find some helpful info.

The Generalist, most schools require their students to buy equipment because of their clinical skills class. For example, during my class, we did not meet in a doctor's office, but usually in study rooms so we HAD to buy it. Once you get to rotations you probably won't need it anymore, but then you can just sell it to a 1st year. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
good question. First off, 300-400 is all you need to spend. Often you can buy a used one at a good price.

for school, you probably don't really need one, but depending on where you do your clerkships, an otoscope/ophthalmoscope may not be readily available.

For some specialties (neuro, ENT), it helps to have a portable kit. Plus it's good to have a kit of your own - and these things last forever.

bottom line: don't buy one until you really need one.

Try E-Bay. I've seen some fairly nice equipment for a reasonable price. There is a lot of junk on there so be careful.

try www.steeles.com
they have new welch-allyn stuff for fairly cheap.
if that doesn't work, buy it in pieces on ebay, then buy whatever you can't find thru a commerical supplier.