experience and ps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mynamehere

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i'm trying to figure out what experience i can benefit the most from.
i've been reading that emt-b is overall not comparable to the clinical / research exp. do you guys agree?

is having a lot more shadowing experience not equivalent to more direct patient contact such as emt-b!?

and with regards to what research entails:
mine is more of data gathering , information researching, pretty much all data and literature. is this looked highly upon and is it considered as the research everyone talks about?

is it reasonable to write a ps that will explain the bumps in my academia (lower GPA) but the overall experience i learned from, specific to my own? or is that too cliche?

siggh.. thanks all. i tried searching but i feel i'm so specific..

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking as someone with an EMT license who recently went through the application process...

Being an EMT can provide some opportunities for good experience; however, it cannot replace what physician shadowing provides. I've spent a whole lot more time acting as an EMT-IV than I have spent shadowing, yet I have gained a lot more from the shadowing. Plus adcomms want to see that you know what being a physician entails... Just something to keep in mind.

As for the personal statement..
http://www.studentdoctor.net/2010/04/personal-statement-myths/

Best of luck!

Speaking as someone with an EMT license who recently went through the application process...

Being an EMT can provide some opportunities for good experience; however, it cannot replace what physician shadowing provides. I've spent a whole lot more time acting as an EMT-IV than I have spent shadowing, yet I have gained a lot more from the shadowing. Plus adcomms want to see that you know what being a physician entails... Just something to keep in mind.

As for the personal statement..
http://www.studentdoctor.net/2010/04/personal-statement-myths/

Best of luck!

Just curious ... did you actually have to go through the 24 hr shift when involving yourself in EMT?

Are you referring to the clinical hours required for licensing during the course?