Experience as a Personal Care Attendant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unsung

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am going to start work as a PCA (Personal Care Attendant) for individuals with physical/mental disabilities. I have the option of working different shifts with several different individuals. Altogether, the shifts would add up to what amounts to a full-time job.

Right now, I have several options- I could work with an individual with severe epilepsy (also some mental developmental issues), an individual with traumatic brain injury, or an individual with a behavior disorder (ADD). They are all different ages- one is a young adult, another is a teen, and the other is a toddler. (Of course, I could also try and work with all three).

The families and individuals all seem great. This is an exciting opportunity and I look forward to really challenging yet rewarding experiences. My question is- would medical schools prefer to see more experience with one particular individual/type of illness, or experience with several different individuals (several different types of ailments)?

On one hand, I would like to spend more time getting to know one individual in depth. On the other hand, I think it would be interesting to establish relationships with several individuals and encounter a spectrum of issues.

(Btw, if it makes any difference, I am already volunteering at a crisis hotline, so perhaps it would be wise to work as a PCA for an individual with a major physical ailment? Thoughts?)

Members don't see this ad.

I currently volunteer at a rehabilitation center for people with disabilities and have had the oppportunity to meet and work with PCAs. The job seems incredibly rewarding.

All three opportunities you mentioned sound like great learning experiences. Choose whatever you think you will enjoy the most and worry less about what medical schools will "prefer". It will be easier for you to commit to a schedule that makes you happy.