Experience, EC's and Research!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peanut79

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HEy all, i need to know what med schools look for when it comes to experience, EC's and research. Everyone always says the more the better but exactly how much is enough? and what kind of experience, Ec's and research do they look for? I have worked in healthcare for a few years but other than that i really havent done anything. Any suggestions? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

experience: spend two years of your life trying to halt the spread of AIDS in africa

EC: go feed hungry children with distended bellies.....in africa

research: try to find out why horrible, malicious, satanic american and european pharm corporations don't give highly-active antiretroviral therapeutics to 10's of millions of africans with AIDS for free.

its all about africa. your mission is clear.

P.S. just kidding---it only seems like that's what everyone on SDN/MDapplicants.com does. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Peanut79 said:
HEy all, i need to know what med schools look for when it comes to experience, EC's and research. Everyone always says the more the better but exactly how much is enough? and what kind of experience, Ec's and research do they look for? I have worked in healthcare for a few years but other than that i really havent done anything. Any suggestions? :confused:

You need to have enough experience so that you know what being a phyusciian is all about. Research experience is important so that you understand the academic side of the profession. Clinical experience, however, is much more important. Face to face patient care and experience shadowing or working directly with a doctor are probably the most important in my opinion. EC are basically to show that you are not boring and that you are an active person in your community.

You need to have enough experience so that you know what being a phyusciian is all about. Research experience is important so that you understand the academic side of the profession. Clinical experience, however, is much more important. Face to face patient care and experience shadowing or working directly with a doctor are probably the most important in my opinion. EC are basically to show that you are not boring and that you are an active person in your community.
had i chosen to be serious, i would have said that :thumbup:

superdevil said:
experience: spend two years of your life trying to halt the spread of AIDS in africa

research: try to find out why horrible, malicious, satanic american and european pharm corporations don't give highly-active antiretroviral therapeutics to 10's of millions of africans with AIDS for free.

P.S. just kidding---it only seems like that's what everyone on SDN/MDapplicants.com does. :laugh:

:love: I love you. :) I'm glad someone understands who some of these applicants really are. * cough * phonies * cough * :D

g3pro said:
:love: I love you. :) I'm glad someone understands who some of these applicants really are. * cough * phonies * cough * :D

I was just looking at the stats for a lot of these applicants on mdapplicant.com. I found over 1000 profiles in the 21-25 category but only about 180 for the 26-30 category (which im part of). I guess my experience dosent matter since ill probably be rejected based on my age. :eek:

maybe there are less people 26-30 who create profiles there and/or maybe there are simply less people 26-30 who apply to med schools, but neither of these should affect chances of admission?

superdevil said:

Superdevil,

Just wanted to say you have a brilliant way of putting things and quite funny way of putting things. But I agree with you. It seems that all the applicants on Mdapplicants.com talk about saving the world by going to Africa.

thanks for the kind words, gujuDoc.

my motivation for that post is my persistant disbelief when i read that people went to third-world nations (95% of the time in africa) to volunteer as if helping people in some exotic foreign country is somehow more noble and humanitarian than helping the sick and hungry RIGHT HERE in america.

its kind of pathetic that some pre-meds try to 1-up each other in matters such as this. if you want to volunteer, go for it. i volunteer--right in my neighborhood! (i work for habitat for humanity in the county where my college is located). i'm just sick of these ego-driven kids trying to glamorize their "service" to others like its a f*&^ing contest.

rant over!

It shouldn't be "glamorization" that drives ppl to do that. If the reason is glamorization then how would you feel being a hungry child in a foreign country being given free food? take the food and eat it!

but you gotta admit it's disturbing when outwardly good deeds have alterior motives behind them. Sooner or later the alterior motives start affecting the quality of the good deeds and then the deeds stop becoming so good

superdevil said:
thanks for the kind words, gujuDoc.

my motivation for that post is my persistant disbelief when i read that people went to third-world nations (95% of the time in africa) to volunteer as if helping people in some exotic foreign country is somehow more noble and humanitarian than helping the sick and hungry RIGHT HERE in america.

its kind of pathetic that some pre-meds try to 1-up each other in matters such as this. if you want to volunteer, go for it. i volunteer--right in my neighborhood! (i work for habitat for humanity in the county where my college is located). i'm just sick of these ego-driven kids trying to glamorize their "service" to others like its a f*&^ing contest.

rant over!

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

You are right on the money. :D It's like hearing myself think. :thumbup:

Peanut79 said:
Everyone always says the more the better but exactly how much is enough?

Try and go for quality rather than quality. Adcoms don't want to see that you volunteered at 100 different places for a week each over the last few years.