experience/exposure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vixen

I like members
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you guys post what you have done in terms of exposure/experience in the dental field...I feel like its very limited to just shadowing and volunteering. I plan on doing both, but is there anything else? I feel like I could do some other health related things, but people would question my interest in dentistry, and not medicine or something...thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I worked as a dental assistant to a general dentist and and orthodontist/periodontist. I also did research not related to the dental field, but I think they like research experience.

BTW, they sometimes like to see that you have given consideration to other career choices. That way, you know what else is available and you know after having exposure to other fields, that you still want dentistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
I highly recommend a summer of research--doing anything really. You may get to publish a paper which is a big bonus and you will be exposed to other medical/research fields. For me, I worked with a lot of surgeons and engineers so I was able to tell my interviewers that I had looked into other fields as well dentistry. Be openminded because it shows that you are putting a lot of thought and effort into your decision.

How to go about looking for research for someone w/no research experience...I had about 2 meetings w/people in the beginning of the year, but they were looking for someone w/more experience. Summer research...I'd be interested in that...where do I find that stuff...I'm in NYC, so there must be stuff around me...I am just close to finals, but after that I want to find something...anyone have an idea where I start to look? Thanks :)

simseema17,

i am unsure whether or not you are still an undergrad, but if you go to the career development center at your college, they should have a wealth of information on summer research opportunities. off-hand, i know that there are summer research programs designed for undergrads (usually the summer preceding senior year) at rockefeller university and albert einstein college of medicine (yeshiva university); i have completed a summer at the latter institution. i would suggest contacting the universities directly and ask for such positions... most of these opportunities are paid. however, if you are a senior already... perhaps you can apply for a research associate position during the year in interim; i believe you are applying for 2003.
good luck, simseema. if you are willing to move out of the city, i would also try the national institutes of health. they definitely have a summer program.

If you're at NYU or Columbia, you might want to talk to someone in student services/dean's office at those schools of public health. Most public health schools run a listserv for positions or keep a listing of research openings, frequently with entry-level associate positions and part-time opportunities for a variety of fields in health research. They'd probably help you out if you're affiliated with the university. Good luck.

thanks guys :)