Nov 15, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
Over the next two semesters I will be finishing my pre-reqs (spring and summer semesters). I have been a dental assistant for 9 years and an EDDA for 5. I am applying to schools this fall. When I started going back to school I had a really hard time. I had never attended a university and was unaware of ways I could receive help from the school (tutors, supplemental instruction, etc.). My GPA still suffers from that first year and I currently have about a 2.9. I looks like I will get all A's this semester! (YAY!) and I am determined to stay on that route over the next two semesters before applying to dental school. I am very aware that I need to rock my DAT.

Will the dental schools see the vast improvement in my grades and take into consideration that my grades actually improved as the classes became more rigorous?

Will my experience help to offset my train wreck of a GPA?

Jun 5, 2013
Michigan
Status
Dental Student
are you applying for the 2014 cycle? because I think it is a little late, but if you have the money and want to give it a try, then why not...
get your gpa to 3.(something), rock the DAT, have good letters of rec. good ECs, and a personality to go with all that and you'll be fine :)
trust me, a good GPA can help you a lot.
My DAT score isn't that great but my GPA helped me a lot.
if you have one of them being low make sure the other one is high lol

dental schools do take into account an upward trend and it will help you a lot if you keep it up!
best of luck!

Oct 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
Over the next two semesters I will be finishing my pre-reqs (spring and summer semesters). I have been a dental assistant for 9 years and an EDDA for 5. I am applying to schools this fall. When I started going back to school I had a really hard time. I had never attended a university and was unaware of ways I could receive help from the school (tutors, supplemental instruction, etc.). My GPA still suffers from that first year and I currently have about a 2.9. I looks like I will get all A's this semester! (YAY!) and I am determined to stay on that route over the next two semesters before applying to dental school. I am very aware that I need to rock my DAT.

Will the dental schools see the vast improvement in my grades and take into consideration that my grades actually improved as the classes became more rigorous?

Will my experience help to offset my train wreck of a GPA?
Most schools place a high value on your interview. If you can explain why the gpa is low and what changes you made to better perform some consideration may be given. They want someone who is passionate about dentistry and will work hard to achieve their goal. Their reasoning is that someone who truly wants to succeed will do what it takes to excel. I think most admissions committees know that a person driven to excel will be a better candidate than someone whose is less passionate even if they have a better gpa. If you can convey how bad you want to be a dentist some negatives may be overlooked.