Experiences at Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

21409wfq

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some of the worst/funniest/strangest experiences you have ever had while doing medicine?

My worst experience: viewing an autopsy for electives and then not being able to eat red meat for a week. :scared: uugh

Members don't see this ad.

Getting fat flicked onto my face (accidentally) by my partner during anatomy. :scared:

Yep, fat flickin (and juice jostlin) is among the nastiest experiences in Anatomy. I've taken enough fat on the face and juice in the eye to be fixed in formalin above the neck. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the worst experience so far was when we had to saw the head in half during head/neck in gross lab. The smell of burning bone is disgusting. It was also creepy to think you were inhaling bits of someone's skull. EW! It was more than slightly disturbing to see a head being sliced like that. I'm only glad I didn't have nightmares...

katrinadams9 said:
I think the worst experience so far was when we had to saw the head in half during head/neck in gross lab. The smell of burning bone is disgusting. It was also creepy to think you were inhaling bits of someone's skull. EW! It was more than slightly disturbing to see a head being sliced like that. I'm only glad I didn't have nightmares...

Someone in our class described it as the smell cheetos (at least I think that's what it was). Either way I haven't eaten them since.

katrinadams9 said:

I agree, burning bone does have a very unique smell to it. Not disgusting, but not pleasant either. I actually get a bit freaked when I still see nail polish on their hands.

I always thought pork rinds... you'll get plenty of opportunities to test out the smell theory in surgery rotations.

I heard a story the other day from my bf about a girl in his anatomy lab who got slapped in the back of her neck by a cadaver. They were tying the arms down and one arm wasn't tied properly. I guess it hit her hard enough to leave a mark. Her lab partner got smacked by the cadaver later on that day. That's one feisty dead person.

fainting on the first day in the OR.

evajaclynn said:
I heard a story the other day from my bf about a girl in his anatomy lab who got slapped in the back of her neck by a cadaver. They were tying the arms down and one arm wasn't tied properly. I guess it hit her hard enough to leave a mark. Her lab partner got smacked by the cadaver later on that day. That's one feisty dead person.

i was gross lab that day, worst dissection of my life. those poor girls. ever since then, i've been sure to triple tie the knots. i didn't get smacked in the face, but i did get a big glob of greasy yellow fat right on my foot. grossest thing ever.

Flicking myself in the face not once, not twice, but thrice while reflecting my cadaver's facial skin. Last one was in the eye, too. Then I left for the day.

...During Gyn-Onc we had to drain an unfortunate lady's ascitic fluid that was secondary to her stage 4 ovarian cancer. (We eventually drained 7.2 liters of grossly bloody fluid from her abdomen the first day)...
So this one time, the drainage bag had to be changed a little late in the day, and clearly it was way too bloated and under pressure (think of a big tense plastic 1 ft x 6 in "pillow" filled with red fluid); so as my fellow colleague unwittingly released the stop-cock.... Splaaaaaattoosh!
i'll never forget the explosive force of bloody malignant ascitic fluid on the floor, on our scrubs, on our clogs, on his white coat, on his hands ... Ungh.. The sight and smell of it is something I will never forget.

that's maybe the grossest thing i've ever heard. wow.

falling in love w/ a friend of mine in my class who is already dating someone :thumbdown:

cremaster2007 said:
Someone in our class described it as the smell cheetos (at least I think that's what it was). Either way I haven't eaten them since.

Are you guys kidding me. The burnt bone of the skull labs was the best part. I was, much to my chagrin, giggling like a schoolgirl. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning"

I've heard and agree with the statement that the bone dust smells like burning Dorritos.

Worst thing for me in gross lab was the time I was disecting and for some reason had my mouth open, and flicked some juice right into my mouth. I definitely learned a lesson after that and kept my mouth closed.

greets fr. nyc said:
...During Gyn-Onc we had to drain an unfortunate lady's ascitic fluid that was secondary to her stage 4 ovarian cancer. (We eventually drained 7.2 liters of grossly bloody fluid from her abdomen the first day)...
So this one time, the drainage bag had to be changed a little late in the day, and clearly it was way too bloated and under pressure (think of a big tense plastic 1 ft x 6 in "pillow" filled with red fluid); so as my fellow colleague unwittingly released the stop-cock.... Splaaaaaattoosh!
i'll never forget the explosive force of bloody malignant ascitic fluid on the floor, on our scrubs, on our clogs, on his white coat, on his hands ... Ungh.. The sight and smell of it is something I will never forget.

yikes!

brownsdawg said:
falling in love w/ a friend of mine in my class who is already dating someone :thumbdown:

man; this happened to me at the end of the school year as an undergrad; problem is that the person she was (is) dating is a good friend; it's the worst situation....

I will relate the experience of one of my classmates during his first patient interview and physical examination. At my school two students videotape and observe the other group member while he/she conducts the interview in an adjacent room. For this particular student, a good friend of mine and I were observing, while the third student interviewed an older lady (probably in her 70s). Anyways, the interview is going fairly well, we're listening and watching carefully in the monitoring room. He asks the lady's age, height, weight and "are you ON drugs?" :laugh: :laugh: For a moment, both of us are stunned!!! The standardized patient looks wide-eyed. He proceeds to ask her "are you ON recreational drugs?" She looks at him, puts her hand on her chest and says "OH MY....no". We could not stop laughing....just the timing and the manner in which he asked the question was so comical. I will never forget it...:laugh: :laugh:

-Harps

brownsdawg said:

ditto!

evajaclynn said:
mine felt me up ;)

first 'real' patient interview/physical in the hospital I was palpating the abdomen and just as I pushed down above her bladder she yelped. I gasped and jumped back worried I had hurt her. She started laughing her ass off saying she couldn't help it, it was too easy since I was looking so serious. She was just faking me out. :D