Experiences Section of AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AA|FCB|DOC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much time are you guys putting into the descriptions for the experience section? I know obviously you want to write it properly without spelling errors and such, but are you guys having people even edit those parts of your application. Is it a very sensitive part where the descriptions should basically be treated as mini personal statements? Also, are you guys writing a description of what you did or examples of things you experienced? For example, are you writing that during volunteering you were responsible for certain tasks, or that on a certain day volunteering such and such happened (I am under the impression that the latter is more suit for the personal statement). Thanks in advance for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

How much time are you guys putting into the descriptions for the experience section? I know obviously you want to write it properly without spelling errors and such, but are you guys having people even edit those parts of your application. Is it a very sensitive part where the descriptions should basically be treated as mini personal statements? Also, are you guys writing a description of what you did or examples of things you experienced? For example, are you writing that during volunteering you were responsible for certain tasks, or that on a certain day volunteering such and such happened (I am under the impression that the latter is more suit for the personal statement). Thanks in advance for any input.

Applied last year, and you should put good effort into them. Only a few hundred characters, but you want to write clearly what you contributed (note: this is different than a job description you may find in a resume) and what you learned. Be concise but also be thorough. Yes I know those are opposites.

Applied last year, and you should put good effort into them. Only a few hundred characters, but you want to write clearly what you contributed (note: this is different than a job description you may find in a resume) and what you learned. Be concise but also be thorough. Yes I know those are opposites.

This. Also, have a couple trusted people read over what you wrote. I had my parents and a couple close friends read over my descriptions and my PS, because I knew they would give me real constructive criticism and tear apart things that needed to be torn apart.

Members don't see this ad :)
are you guys actually doing up to 3 most meaningful experiences? I was thinking about doing one or two. I was wondering if that would be a negative.

Interesting situation as I put my research experience as one of my most meaningful even though I did not necessarily enjoy it more than other experiences . Is this ok? The reasons I put it as most meaningful is because it has it's own challenges that are specific. However, I did not necessarily enjoy my research more than my other experiences. Is this ok to do or do you guys think I should just not mark it as one of the most meaningful