Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedsFMG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all those answering questions - totally invaluable.

- I've done the 'foundation programme' in the UK since finishing medical school (paid and like a 2-year rotating internship). Should I put this as a 'work experience' or 'training'? I'm assuming that I should put it as work experience. I don't want it to look as though a) I'm claiming US experience I don't have or b) that I have left another residency for some reason. I would list it as a single 'experience' and put the component rotations in the description.

- I was planning to put the month-long rotation I did in the US as a student also as a 'work experience'

- Should I list the month-long student rotation I did in Africa?

- Should I list the 2 weeks observership I did in the US as a student? (I'm thinking not)

- I was NOT planning to individually list the rotations I did as a student in the UK. They are however not on my university transcript. The transcript just lists exam results. We did not get separate grades for rotations. Is this a problem?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Bump. I'd be really grateful if anyone had any advice. Thanks!

Thanks to all those answering questions - totally invaluable.

- I've done the 'foundation programme' in the UK since finishing medical school (paid and like a 2-year rotating internship). Should I put this as a 'work experience' or 'training'? I'm assuming that I should put it as work experience. I don't want it to look as though a) I'm claiming US experience I don't have or b) that I have left another residency for some reason. I would list it as a single 'experience' and put the component rotations in the description.

Yes, this is a work experience.

- I was planning to put the month-long rotation I did in the US as a student also as a 'work experience'

Yes

- Should I list the month-long student rotation I did in Africa?

I would. It will make for an interesting topic in an interview.

- Should I list the 2 weeks observership I did in the US as a student? (I'm thinking not)

Optional. Plenty of people list these.

- I was NOT planning to individually list the rotations I did as a student in the UK. They are however not on my university transcript. The transcript just lists exam results. We did not get separate grades for rotations. Is this a problem?

Correct, and it will not be a problem.

I would. It will make for an interesting topic in an interview.

QUOTE]

Where would you list this? I have now listed it as a reason for extention of medical school section (as at my medical school foreign rotations are longer and I did one extra curricular rotation) but would it be advisable to enter this somewhere else as well?

Wherever it best fits. Doesn't much matter. If you put it in the experience section, it's a Work experience (per ERAS guidelines). If you put it in the "extension" section, that's fine too.

Thank you SO much aPD. Much appreciated.