ExPhys/ ATs / Non-traditionals...your advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExPhys

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok here is my situation:

I am 24 and have had a passion for medicine my entire life. I lacked the confidence I
needed to persue it because I was not supposed to be able to survive college! I was not
the "college type" whatever the hell that is???

Anyway, I graduated with a BS in Exercise Physiology. Along the way I took gen bio,
cell bio, anatomy, physiology ect.... on top of my required curriculum. Just for sh*ts and
giggles! (Hey leave me alone, I like the stuff). While in undergrad (all 5 years), I worked
32 + hours a week. I had an internship in Cardiac Rehabilitation during my last semester
which sparked my interest in becoming a doctor. Seems I was having much more fun in
the Cath. Lab than in the clinic!!! I took 2 graduate level classes as an undergrad that I
did well in.

Currently I am at the Univ. of Pittsburgh getting my MS in exercise physiology. This will
help me get some research experience. I am interested in diabetes, energy metabolism /
biochem, and cardiovascular Pathophysiology. My problem is that I need Gen Chem I
and II, Physics I and II, as well as the dreaded Organic Chem I and II.

Here is my plan, let me know what you think!
This summer I am going to take Gen. Chem I and II, along with a class for my Masters.
But due to travel time and work, I am gonna take Gen Chem at a CC.
In the Fall I am going to take Physics.
The summer I may have an internship at Lake Placid Olympic Training Site, working
with olympic athletes (if things go the way I hope).
Take Organic I and II the following year with some other classes like genetics,
immunology things that spark my interest. Hit the MCAT's and apply!

Plan #2 is:
This summer take Gen. Chem I and II, along with a class for my Masters. But due to
travel time and work, I am gonna take Gen Chem at a CC.
In the fall take Physics and organic and lower my MS credit load.
Do my internship at Lake Placid.
Finish my MS and take the MCATS and apply!.

Any advice?? Suggestions?? Any exercise phys, or athletic trainers make this kind of
transition???

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

It sounds to me like you'd be a good candidate, especially once you finish your requirements (chem and physics). My only suggestion would be to think about taking organic and physics at the same time (plan 2). Unless you really like punishment, that might be too much work at once which could compromise your grades in those classes. However, this is just my humble opinion. Either way, you do sound like you're on the right track. Good luck! :)

Hi there, my husband and I are ATCs applying in June. We have masters degrees in AT and have practiced for 5 years. Our undergrad situations are different, though, because he was a sports med major, which was very specialized and I was a bio/pre-med major. He had to take physics II and organicI & II. Due to bad grades, I took organic I & II. Our GPAs aren't very high, but we're hoping the life experience thing is a bonus. As far as you "not being the college type", I think that's bull. If you work, you can do it. I work in a high school and hear that all the time from guidance counselors. There's no shame in trying and failing. There's shame in not trying. :D Go get 'em!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
ExPhys,
My suggestion is this...concentrate on one thing at a time. You have alot on your plate and perhaps you should decide what the priorities in your life should be. Sacrifices may need to be made for you to reach your goal in a suitable time-frame. ALOT of things may change in 2-3 years and if you are planning on waiting that long...well, you may have missed your window of opportunity. Good luck.

On the flip side of the time concern, we're in the middle of a "3 year plan" and realizing that it does take that long when you have other things in life to worry about. You're right, things DO change a lot, so if you can go through the planning process for that long, you know you want it.

hi there,

my background sounds almost exactly like yours! and I felt like the ex phys / kinesiology / "worked with real live humans" instead of just the microscope slides really benefitted me when I was interviewing. In fact, I was asked a training type of question by my interviewer, and we had a fun discourse during the interview. i almost felt like he was my advisor (and now he is!)

Since the apps process takes a year, you might try holding off on your MS work during the year and taking physics and o-chem. this way, you have all of the pre-req work for **MCAT** done and fresh in your head. During the year that you are applying, take your MS courseload.

Good luck!

One thing to consider, how will taking your chemistry at a CC affect your application process. I do not know but I think it is worth checkig in to.

Do you know what schools you are interested in? If so get to know the admissions people at the school you are considering. If it is possible (financially and time wise) make an appointment to stop by that school (or another DO school) and talk with an admissions office to see how they would view you and how you could improve your application. If you can't go there talk to them on the phone.

Probably the first thing I would do though would to find a good premed advisor familiar with DO schools. Surely the university of Pittsburg would have a good advisor (or 2 or 3 ect.) that would be best able to help you make the best decisions to reach your goald.

Good Luck.
:p