ExPhys/ ATs / Non-traditionals...your advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExPhys

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok here is my situation:

I am 24 and have had a passion for medicine my entire life. I lacked the confidence I
needed to persue it because I was not supposed to be able to survive college! I was not
the "college type" whatever the hell that is???

Anyway, I graduated with a BS in Exercise Physiology. Along the way I took gen bio,
cell bio, anatomy, physiology ect.... on top of my required curriculum. Just for sh*ts and
giggles! (Hey leave me alone, I like the stuff). While in undergrad (all 5 years), I worked
32 + hours a week. I had an internship in Cardiac Rehabilitation during my last semester
which sparked my interest in becoming a doctor. Seems I was having much more fun in
the Cath. Lab than in the clinic!!! I took 2 graduate level classes as an undergrad that I
did well in.

Currently I am at the Univ. of Pittsburgh getting my MS in exercise physiology. This will
help me get some research experience. I am interested in diabetes, energy metabolism /
biochem, and cardiovascular Pathophysiology. My problem is that I need Gen Chem I
and II, Physics I and II, as well as the dreaded Organic Chem I and II.

Here is my plan, let me know what you think!
This summer I am going to take Gen. Chem I and II, along with a class for my Masters.
But due to travel time and work, I am gonna take Gen Chem at a CC.
In the Fall I am going to take Physics.
The summer I may have an internship at Lake Placid Olympic Training Site, working
with olympic athletes (if things go the way I hope).
Take Organic I and II the following year with some other classes like genetics,
immunology things that spark my interest. Hit the MCAT's and apply!

Plan #2 is:
This summer take Gen. Chem I and II, along with a class for my Masters. But due to
travel time and work, I am gonna take Gen Chem at a CC.
In the fall take Physics and organic and lower my MS credit load.
Do my internship at Lake Placid.
Finish my MS and take the MCATS and apply!.

Any advice?? Suggestions?? Any exercise phys, or athletic trainers make this kind of
transition???

Members don't see this ad.

I really like finding other exercise physiologists planning on a career in medicine because, let's face it, our undergrad work is great prep for med school. I got a b.s. in exphys and then worked for a year in a rehab clinic before applying and accepting a med school slot. You've got a great plan, just make sure you do well in your core pre med classes because those grades will be most likely be scrutinized equally with your masters level classes. Take the MCATs in the fall, not the spring, of course. Hopefull take a light load this fall to free up some prep time for the mcats.
I suggest maybe getting some clinical experience as well, because us exphys dorks spend a lot of time in research, but not much time in really practical healthcare settings. This will be a must.
Best of luck to you...and if you end up in Colorado springs this summer, I wouldn't want to hear about it because I would be extrememly jealous.

Go for it.

I followed the same path - undergrad bio, Ex Phys MS and lots of cardiac rehab, leading to DO school. Exercise Phys is an excellent complement to the osteopathic education. Take some time to take the extra classes your hospital may offer - ACLS, blood gasses, etc.

It was definitely a long road, but you will be a well rounded applicant, which the DO schools appreciate. A 26-30y.o. is not to old to start and do well in med school.

Good luck!

(Bustin Booty - congrats on KCOM - if you have any questions or want some info about the scene or what to expect, email at [email protected])

Members don't see this ad :)
I would get your master's first, then focus on the basic sciences. Take your chemistry at a regular college--it will give you the confidence you'll need to pass biochemistry in medical school (it's not easy to pass, believe me, there is a lot of material to cover).

This may mean delaying medical school for a year or two or three but you are already involved in physiology work. The delay won't make a big difference in your career. It's not that unusual for an older student to apply these days.

Definitely finish your MS if you're going to be enrolled in the program while you're applying to med school. I don't know about DO schools but lots of MD schools won't let you matriculate with an unfinished graduate program unless you've actually dropped out before you apply. Too many people getting MPHs and things to boost their apps and then not finishing their theses.

On the other hand I think you have a good background and lots of potential for future doctor-hood.

Finish your masters first because it will be far easier to take on med school when you are free of MS than with it hanging on you. I read a good article concerning goals about arnold swarzenegger. he set up his goals one after another. His first was to make it to america, second to win mr olympia, third to make movies, fourth the highest bax office star. All of which he acheived, move in the direction of med school one step at a time then apply. hope this helps.