Expiration of Medical school Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruthseth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Hi Everyone!

I've heard that some medical schools have an expiration date for their perquisites.Is there an easier way to find out these requirements without needing to go tothat individual school's website?

Specifically, does anyone know the requirements for Texas med schools?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The only way to know for sure is to visit the websites or call a couple of schools.

But how old are your pre-reqs? The reason I ask is that if they are old enough for this to matter, you are going to be at a major disadvantage on the MCAT and that will as big if not a bigger issue.

A majority of the prereqs are 10-11 yrs old. But, I have my MS inMicrobiology and work as a researcher so I should be ok with the biologysection. It’s the physics and organic chemistry that are going to be difficult.I’m taking a Kaplan course – so I hope that it’ll help me remember what I’velearned in the past.

I tried looking on their websites but I've been unsuccessful in finding theinformation. I will try calling them to find out for sure.

But, if anyone knows of any schools that disregard prereqs that are 10-11 yrsold - I would greatly appreciate that information :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of about 180 schools, the only two I know of that specify that they "expire" prereqs are UMass and Miami.

I care about this a great deal because I took physics in 1988. I've not been required to retake it.

I suggest that you should show recent classroom success in something. If your micro degree was recent, then imho just focus on the MCAT. If you find out that some school takes issue with the age of your prereqs, first you show them your killer MCAT score, second you petition to substitute recent coursework. Worst case you might need to take a summer session course before you start med school.

Best of luck to you.

Out of about 180 schools, the only two I know of that specify that they "expire" prereqs are UMass and Miami.

I care about this a great deal because I took physics in 1988. I've not been required to retake it.

I suggest that you should show recent classroom success in something. If your micro degree was recent, then imho just focus on the MCAT. If you find out that some school takes issue with the age of your prereqs, first you show them your killer MCAT score, second you petition to substitute recent coursework. Worst case you might need to take a summer session course before you start med school.

Best of luck to you.

tumblr_lhml34xj9H1qgvwx2o1_500.png

My 1988 self says...thanks..for making him feel...not so old.

Baylor and UTMB do not have an expiration, but UTMB said it's a "red flag" if they don't see upper level science courses from the last 5 years...so I will be taking a couple in the Spring. Mine are 15 years old. :)

All of the Texas schools to which I applied accepted my 32 year old calculus and english credits. Then again, not much has changed in those fields in the intervening three decades. I decided to update my 33 year old biology credit in that much of what is considered to be important now was not even discovered when I took the class the first time around.

I did not have to retake any of my 10+ year-old pre-reqs. I am a TX resident and applied to all allopathic TX schools except A&M and BCM and received interviews at all.