Expired ID, forced to reschedule. How to stay sharp?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YITB536

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all...

I am scheduled for the September 23 MCAT, but am no longer allowed to take it because I don't have a valid ID. I got my license last year in June, so I didn't think it would expire in a year. And no, I do not have any other form of ID that meets the AAMC criteria. It's not a good situation to be in, but I have no one to blame but myself for being careless and irresponsible. I plan on writing the earliest exam available in January.

But anyways, I was wondering what I can do to stay sharp? I took 5 NS FL's
NS Diagnostic: 495 (CP 122, CARS 124, Bio 125, Psych 124)
NS FL 1: 500 (CP 124, CARS 125, Bio 127 Psych, 124)
NS FL 2: 502 (CP 124, CARS 125, Bio 127 Psych, 126)
NS FL 3: 499 (CP 125, CARS 125, Bio 125 Psych, 124)
NS FL 4: 506 (CP 125, CARS 128, Bio 127 Psych, 126)
NS FL 5: 507 (CP 126, CARS 127, Bio 128, Psych, 126)

Despite a few content holes, I felt prepared to take it. Albeit not extremely comfortable, but comfortable enough. I was primarily using the old TBR and 2015 EK books for content review, with some Khan Academy videos here and there. I finished the entire 2014 TPRH and 101 EK Passages for CARS. I was hoping to gain a few tips/advice on how to avoid being rusty between now and January. Thank y'all in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

It's 4 month till next MCAT in January 22nd. It is definitely not easy to maintain top notch shape for MCAT for 4 months. Probably a good idea to rearrange studying and start doing FL once a week and do a detailed mistake/content review in between. Speed up closer to New-Year holidays for MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Do a few passages every day and review notes every week or so + FLs in between.

My suggestion is to go through:

Khan Academy Passages
TPR Science Workbook 2015
NextStep Strategy Books

If you can't get a refund, why not just go in and see what happens. They may not even notice and its not exactly unethical for you to test this way. The worst thing they can do is say sorry, you can't test due to the ID.

Members don't see this ad :)
I realize this is now too late for you, if you were supposed to write on the 23rd. But maybe for others in similar situations, you (In Canada at least) can get expedited passports in one business day. Not sure if there is something similar to this in the States.

Identify your weaknesses

Here are things I would make sure to do

1) Invest in BR and go through as many of their science passages as they can. Do this properly, really go through the book(particularly physics and chem) and really analyze your FL's and you'll benefit from this.
2) TPRH hyperlearning workbooks for science and verbal are very solid practice, particularly verbal.
3) For more verbal practice, EK 101 passages, the EK CARs book(about 20 CARs passages), and old AAMC tests are very good also.
4) For more FL's, strongly recommend EK material and using anything the AAMC is offering. Also would recommend BR's FL's. A new AAMC test is coming out in Nov, use that along with what the AAMC has already released. Old AAMC tests for bio and verbal are still helpful, particularly verbal.

I don't really recommend all that much from other sources. If you already have good content understanding and review, Kaplan won't help you much. Princeton Review doesn't really simulate this MCAT too well either. Stick with BR, AAMC, Hyperlearning Workbooks and EK mainly IMO.

Last edited:
It's 4 month till next MCAT in January 22nd. It is definitely not easy to maintain top notch shape for MCAT for 4 months. Probably a good idea to rearrange studying and start doing FL once a week and do a detailed mistake/content review in between. Speed up closer to New-Year holidays for MCAT.

4 months really is a long time to stay sharp. Hopefully there will be more quality FL's out by then. Thank you for your input sir!

Do a few passages every day and review notes every week or so + FLs in between.

My suggestion is to go through:

Khan Academy Passages
TPR Science Workbook 2015
NextStep Strategy Books

I liked the few Khan Academy passages I came across, and with 4 months I'll have enough time to do them all. Haha. I liked NextStep's FL's, and I've heard good things about TPR so I'll of definitely check them out. Thank you for the input sir, I appreciate it!

If you can't get a refund, why not just go in and see what happens. They may not even notice and its not exactly unethical for you to test this way. The worst thing they can do is say sorry, you can't test due to the ID.

Hmm, interesting. For some reason that scenario didn't even cross my mind, and you very well could be right. Good thing I'll have all day tomorrow to think about it, because my focus is no longer where it needs to be because of this entire ordeal. Thank you for your input sir!

Identify your weaknesses

Here are things I would make sure to do

1) Invest in BR and go through as many of their science passages as they can. Do this properly, really go through the book(particularly physics and chem) and really analyze your FL's and you'll benefit from this.
2) TPRH hyperlearning workbooks for science and verbal are very solid practice, particularly verbal.
3) For more verbal practice, EK 101 passages, the EK CARs book(about 20 CARs passages), and old AAMC tests are very good also.
4) For more FL's, strongly recommend EK material and using anything the AAMC is offering. Also would recommend BR's FL's. A new AAMC test is coming out in Nov, use that along with what the AAMC has already released. Old AAMC tests for bio and verbal are still helpful, particularly verbal.

I don't really recommend all that much from other sources. If you already have good content understanding and review, Kaplan won't help you much. Princeton Review doesn't really simulate this MCAT too well either. Stick with BR, AAMC, Hyperlearning Workbooks and EK mainly IMO.

Do you know if TPRH and EK 101 have 2015 editions? Because I already finished them both.

Would have been hilarious if you went in with a fake ID posing as yourself, but with the expiration date changed.

Do you know if TPRH and EK 101 have 2015 editions? Because I already finished them both.

The TPRH has but from my understanding there is very little change from its previous versions. Addition of say 30 psych/soc passages, they took out the natural science based verbal passages, maybe added a few more CARs passages, that's about it. Idk about EK 101 but I'm guessing no. EK does have a CARs book which has about 15-20 practice passages and they are good practice but that's about it from them. Their FL's are where I would look.

OP, as others have said I'd at least try taking the test. You paid for it already. Kinda crazy your ID expired that fast!

Another idea is to go get your new one today. They won't give it to you today but they should give you a temporary one to use in the meantime which is supposed to be honored like the real one. It will have all the new info, new pic, etc, it just won't be laminated and it might be black and white. They will have some way to mark it as real though because it should count as the real thing just about anywhere. Not 100% sure it would at Prometric but worth a try. That might be better than an expired one.

I know this from moving and having to get new IDs and from having lost an ID before.

You can also bring other things as backup even if not official ID to show its you, such as student ID, bank cards, health insurance cards, etc. I lost my ID while on a trip so had to use several subpar forms of ID combined to get on a plane. If it's good enough for TSA you would think it would work for the MCAT. Just bring your expired or temporary one along with other not as official things that show you're you, preferably at least one with a picture. The worst they can do is turn you away.

Also you can call the testing center and see what they say. That's what I did when I lost my ID, called the airline and they told me what else to bring to my flight check-in.

Worth a try! Might be a better option than trying to stay MCAT sharp for 4 more months.

Members don't see this ad :)
I realize this is now too late for you, if you were supposed to write on the 23rd. But maybe for others in similar situations, you (In Canada at least) can get expedited passports in one business day. Not sure if there is something similar to this in the States.
Expedited US passports take one to two weeks, typically. Usually you can get a state ID or driver's license same day though, no idea why OP isn't doing that. All you need is a couple pieces of mail and an expired ID in most states to get one.

Your are able to go the DMV (at least in MA) and get a temporary license the day you go but the actual license takes 10 days in the mail. Pretty sure AAMC states that you are not able to use temporary licenses for the test but you would have to double check their website

OP, as others have said I'd at least try taking the test. You paid for it already. Kinda crazy your ID expired that fast!

Another idea is to go get your new one today. They won't give it to you today but they should give you a temporary one to use in the meantime which is supposed to be honored like the real one. It will have all the new info, new pic, etc, it just won't be laminated and it might be black and white. They will have some way to mark it as real though because it should count as the real thing just about anywhere. Not 100% sure it would at Prometric but worth a try. That might be better than an expired one.

I know this from moving and having to get new IDs and from having lost an ID before.

You can also bring other things as backup even if not official ID to show its you, such as student ID, bank cards, health insurance cards, etc. I lost my ID while on a trip so had to use several subpar forms of ID combined to get on a plane. If it's good enough for TSA you would think it would work for the MCAT. Just bring your expired or temporary one along with other not as official things that show you're you, preferably at least one with a picture. The worst they can do is turn you away.

Also you can call the testing center and see what they say. That's what I did when I lost my ID, called the airline and they told me what else to bring to my flight check-in.

Worth a try! Might be a better option than trying to stay MCAT sharp for 4 more months.

I contacted AAMC yesterday regarding my situation, and this is what they sent me back. They were unwavering when it came to their policy, and understandably so. But maybe the testing center will be more lenient, so hopefully I can still take it. It's not the best situation, but it could be a whole lot worse. I just have to move on and learn from this. I really appreciate your time and effort in offering some feedback though!

Attachments

• Untitled 2.png
    Untitled 2.png
    129.6 KB · Views: 23
There's no way for you to just go to the DMV and get a new ID today? How is that even possible?

I went to the DMV yesterday and was informed that 2 weeks would be the earliest day I can get a permanent ID. I was also informed that the ID's are processed in Austin, so my local DMV has no power to expedite things. But no point crying over spilled milk. In hindsight, I should have taken those AAMC email reminders more seriously because I would have had plenty of time to take care of all this.

Your are able to go the DMV (at least in MA) and get a temporary license the day you go but the actual license takes 10 days in the mail. Pretty sure AAMC states that you are not able to use temporary licenses for the test but you would have to double check their website

That is correct. They will not take "temporary ID's of any quality." In addition, an ID must meet all 4 of their criteria in order to be valid (must be current, government issued, verifiable picture ID, and signature).

I went to the DMV yesterday and was informed that 2 weeks would be the earliest day I can get a permanent ID. I was also informed that the ID's are processed in Austin, so my local DMV has no power to expedite things. But no point crying over spilled milk. In hindsight, I should have taken those AAMC email reminders more seriously because I would have had plenty of time to take care of all this.
That's insane. In CT they just print you up another one in the DMV same day. You can even get one made at AAA lol.

That's insane. In CT they just print you up another one in the DMV same day. You can even get one made at AAA lol.

Oh wow. That's pretty cool. They print us out temporary paper licenses here after a DMV visit. But hey maybe it's a trade off for having to pay state income tax... Haha. Jk.

When I lived in NJ, they used to just print off your new ID right there in front of you. I was very confused when I went to change my license to MA and they gave me that paper BS.

Oh wow. That's pretty cool. They print us out temporary paper licenses here after a DMV visit. But hey maybe it's a trade off for having to pay state income tax... Haha. Jk.
It's funny, people often forget that Texas has some of the worst local taxes in the country, and pay only 3% less in taxes than Massachusetts ;) But yeah, we get some bonuses for having the fourth worst taxes in the country.