Expired technician registration (TX) renewal questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dxb8307

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys! I am wondering if anyone here renewed their expired registration with the state board of pharmacy in TX. I kept my national certification current, did all the CEs and paid a renewal fee every 2 yrs. So when my registration expired, I thought it would be very easy to renew it -- just pay the fee. Boy, was I wrong. Dealing with Texas State Board of Pharmacy will give you ulcers. Anyways, I used the link on their website to request "renewal package" filled it out, sent in $155 money order and I thought 'now I just wait'. However, afterwards they sent me another application for renewal with fingerprinting application asking for $65 fee now. So to re-register with the state board now, even though I am still nationally certified, I have to pay $220, be fingerprinted?!?! Back in 2007, when I first registered with the state I paid only $40! Anyone out there with similar experience? Sorry for the rant......

Members don't see this ad.

In California your pharmacist intern license overrides your pharmacy tech license. Are you sure that's not how Texas works too?

Hey, guys! I am wondering if anyone here renewed their expired registration with the state board of pharmacy in TX. I kept my national certification current, did all the CEs and paid a renewal fee every 2 yrs. So when my registration expired, I thought it would be very easy to renew it -- just pay the fee. Boy, was I wrong. Dealing with Texas State Board of Pharmacy will give you ulcers. Anyways, I used the link on their website to request "renewal package" filled it out, sent in $155 money order and I thought 'now I just wait'. However, afterwards they sent me another application for renewal with fingerprinting application asking for $65 fee now. So to re-register with the state board now, even though I am still nationally certified, I have to pay $220, be fingerprinted?!?! Back in 2007, when I first registered with the state I paid only $40! Anyone out there with similar experience? Sorry for the rant......

Is your license expired or delinquent? I didn't renew mine before the renewal deadline so my license became delinquent. I filled out a short application and paid 155 online. No fingerprinting. Unless you waited a year after the renewal due date, your license should not be expired.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is your license expired or delinquent? I didn't renew mine before the renewal deadline so my license became delinquent. I filled out a short application and paid 155 online. No fingerprinting. Unless you waited a year after the renewal due date, your license should not be expired.

It has been over a year. The first application they sent me was short too and I paid with 155 dollar money order. Whatever this other one is for, I have no idea, but they want $65. Plus $41 for fingerprinting. I had no idea re-registering for tech license costs close to $300. Had I known this, I would not have messed with this at all. I doubt they'll refund my money if I just dont go on thru the process.

In California your pharmacist intern license overrides your pharmacy tech license. Are you sure that's not how Texas works too?

I am not sure when you get intern licenses in California, but in TX we have to complete P1 year in order to get it. Most people get it sometimes in June but they are some who had to wait till July. I just didn't want to wait that long because I wanted to work as soon as possible. Renewing my technician license seemed like a good idea at the time.

My technician registration expired in October of my P1 year, and I didn't remember until mid-November. I know they wanted double the registration fee (registration fee + "late" fee that was equal to the first). Since I was about halfway through P1 year, I just dropped my technician stuff altogether. Otherwise I'd be paying a ridiculous amount for a registration that would allow me to work part time as a tech.

If you need to keep your registration, then good luck with TSBP. :oops:

Pro-Tip: Look closely at your intern license when it gets issued. They had the wrong program/school listed on mine in the online database.

Good luck!

Edit: My classmates and I had our licenses issued on June 1st.

Last edited:
My technician registration expired in October of my P1 year, and I didn't remember until mid-November. I know they wanted double the registration fee (registration fee + "late" fee that was equal to the first). Since I was about halfway through P1 year, I just dropped my technician stuff altogether. Otherwise I'd be paying a ridiculous amount for a registration that would allow me to work part time as a tech.

If you need to keep your registration, then good luck with TSBP. :oops:

Pro-Tip: Look closely at your intern license when it gets issued. They had the wrong program/school listed on mine in the online database.

Good luck!

Edit: My classmates and I had our licenses issued on June 1st.

Thanks!

Hi dxb8307
I just read your post. I know its kind of old but I am in the same situation. My registration with TSBP expired and I have been offered a tech job. I would like to know since you sent the request for licensure package until you got re-registered how long did it take overall? I am concerned since time is an issue in my case.
Thanks