explain board exams for UK, Austalia, please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Igor4sugry

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently preparing for USMLE Step I, and was wondering what board exams are required to practice in other english-speaking countries?
I'm thinking of taking them to keep my options open.

Are the exams similar to Step I?
What is the best website for these?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently preparing for USMLE Step I, and was wondering what board exams are required to practice in other english-speaking countries?
I'm thinking of taking them to keep my options open.

Are the exams similar to Step I?
What is the best website for these?

Thanks

We don't have board exams in the UK. If you are from certain places you will need to take the PLAB but that's about it. However, unless you are from the EU you pretty much wont get a job in the UK.

So how does an American medical school graduate go about getting licensure in the European Union? Is there a single test/set of tests that allow you to practice anywhere in the union?

So how does an American medical school graduate go about getting licensure in the European Union? Is there a single test/set of tests that allow you to practice anywhere in the union?

No, there is no single test, every country will be different, some might not require anything. In the UK an American pretty much couldn't get a job, I don't know about the rest of the EU, it's possible it's the same as in the UK everyone in the EU is seen as equal, everyone else has pretty much no chance.