Explain low MCAT in the secondary application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedSucks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I took the MCAT and did 8 points lower than my practice average. (Avg = 34, I got 26) I did horribly in physics and my app CLEARLY shows that physics is something im really good at. I got straight As, tutored students, and have a LOR from my physics professor. Took it again, but I didnt get my score back. Felt worse this time around though due to nerves. I have a secondary that asks for additional info. Truth, my grandfather and uncle passed away during my studying which affected me. Can I say that I learned from this? Or just leave it out?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely leave it out. Excuses won't help. if you have a weakness in your application its best not to emphasize it.

Do NOT draw attention to a bad part of your application. They may talk to you about it in an interview if it is an open book interview, in which case you should have prepared a good explanation, but certainly not an excuse. I don't want this to sound bad, but almost everyone has something bad happen at some point in their academic career that effects GPA or MCAT. I am sorry for your loss, I lost my grandpa just a couple of months ago as well while I was studying for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Excuses, excuses...

Leave it out.

So, I took the MCAT and did 8 points lower than my practice average. (Avg = 34, I got 26) I did horribly in physics and my app CLEARLY shows that physics is something im really good at. I got straight As, tutored students, and have a LOR from my physics professor. Took it again, but I didnt get my score back. Felt worse this time around though due to nerves. I have a secondary that asks for additional info. Truth, my grandfather and uncle passed away during my studying which affected me. Can I say that I learned from this? Or just leave it out?

Reactions: 1 user
Do NOT draw attention to a bad part of your application. They may talk to you about it in an interview if it is an open book interview, in which case you should have prepared a good explanation, but certainly not an excuse. I don't want this to sound bad, but almost everyone has something bad happen at some point in their academic career that effects GPA or MCAT. I am sorry for your loss, I lost my grandpa just a couple of months ago as well while I was studying for the MCAT.

Damn, same here. Condolences. Lost my grandpa 4 days before my retake. Ended up voiding =/

I have a question about these types of things in general. Some schools ask you to explain a low grade or low GPA for a certain year, and usually the fact that it was temporary (it was only one grade or one bad semester) shows that the applicant had something go wrong that one time period and then had no further problems. I guess you shouldn't make an excuse about it, even if it's the truth, so should you just say something to the effect of, "I just got a little overwhelmed and worked on it in X and Y ways so it didn't happen again"? I'm asking because I've also heard advice that if you have an "excuse," you should use it, but only if it's a one-time thing that wouldn't be a problem anymore and that wouldn't happen in med school or the future.

Just seems like if the problem was very temporary, it's hard to NOT have an excuse for it...

I think the difference is between an excuse that you blame externally (my job was taking up too much time or my research adviser made me spend too much time doing research) instead of saying I overcommitted and spread myself too thinly between my academics, ECs, etc.

If you became a surgeon and something happened to your mother... Would those patients that day die? :/

I thought I did horrible on PS as well, but it was just a harder version - turned out great.

In one of the secondaries, they asked me if I wanted any special hardships to be evaluated, mandatory part of the application. Does it sound like an excuse if I put down to evaluate my financial hardships? (homelessness, working 60 hours a week, unemployed parents, etc.)

In my opinion I would put that stuff down if I went through that stuff

In one of the secondaries, they asked me if I wanted any special hardships to be evaluated, mandatory part of the application. Does it sound like an excuse if I put down to evaluate my financial hardships? (homelessness, working 60 hours a week, unemployed parents, etc.)
Definitely include that.

I got a 26 and my practice exams were in the low to mid 30s. We had non-standard test conditions that day (no A/C and the room was 92-94 degrees). Prometric filed a case with AMCAS, but I did not realize I only had 5 days to submit my own non-standard conditions report. Normally, the med schools would get a note explaining the test center conditions, but I do not get that benefit.

Is *that* something you would explain on a secondary?