Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Explain the USMLE

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by kahlil78, Mar 30, 2001.

1. kahlil78

kahlil78 Member

Can someone fill me in? What is on the USMLE, and how is it graded, what scores are "good" scores, and what percentage of examinees get these scores. Whats the scoring scale?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GreatPumpkin

GreatPumpkin Mystical Treatbringer

Non-Student
    Well, I can help on some of this. The USMLE is a 3 part test the first part you take between your 2nd and 3rd year of med school. It has all the stuff you have studied over the last two years. Biochem, immunology, pharm, anatomy....and so on. It also has some clinical questions. Step 2 is taken sometime after you finish your 3rd year. At my school we are required to take it prior to graduation. Most take it right after 3rd year. It is like step I but with almost all clinical questions. Many people do better on step 2 than step 1. Step 3 you take after your internship year. I haven't taken this one yet, but I have been told it is the easiest one. It is all clinical. The score required to pass at least step 2 was 174, the avg 210 the highest someone made in my class I believe was 260ish. Depending on what specialty you are interested in will determine what you will need to make on the USMLE. For example plastics would probably not even look at you with less than a 230.

hope this helps

------------------
    Rob
    4th year med student at MCV/VCU in Virginia. Matched to Pathology at MCV.

4. You find all the answers to your questions (except "what is a good score?" which I think out future MCV/VCU pathologist has answered very well) at:

http://www.usmle.org