Explaining a catastrophic life event

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jacqueline Genow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
removed

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are other posters much better equipped than I am to advise you, but I just wanted to say I'm so so sorry for what you've had to go through. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been, and I'm glad things have gotten better for you. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your kind words. For the sake having a shorter post, I just hit on the major points and there are many things I could elaborate on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Committees want to see that you have the strength and determination to overcome any barriers in your path. Your story is a powerful and inspirational example of this. You faced significant obstacles, and came out on the other side strong and focused. Your PS should describe this journey - not in a "sorry my grades stink" kind of way, but as a way of explaining how your life experiences shaped who you are. Craft a strong statement. Practice for interviews. Do well on the MCAT. What were your final GPAs? But regardless, I'm proud of you already.

Reactions: 1 user
First of all, I'm terribly sorry to hear about the many obstacles you've had to face. I'm glad to hear you were able to turn it all around and succeed; you should be very proud.

In regards to your question: medical schools will certainly listen to your story, but only if you have the minimum cutoff first. To have a solid chance, you need to have at least a 3.4 cumulative and a 30 MCAT.

Last edited:
First of all, I'm terribly sorry to hear about the many obstacles you've had to face. I'm glad to hear you were able to turn it all around and succeed; you should be very proud.

In regards to your question: medical schools will certainly listen to your story, but only if you have the minimum cutoff first. To have a solid chance, you need to have at least a 3.4 cumulative and a 30 MCAT.
This isn't necessarily the case, particularly if OP is URM.

Unrelated, but I noticed she deleted her OP so out of respect for her privacy I edited the quote out of my previous reply - maybe you should too