Explaining MCAT score in interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obgyny

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.99 GPA, but a not-too-great MCAT score of 28M (9PS-9VS-10BS). I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to address a lower MCAT score if it ever comes up in interviews? I don't want to come off as making excuses or anything.

My situation: I took my MCAT after college. I have had to work full-time since graduating to support myself, and I found it pretty difficult to balance working 40+ hours/week and trying to study for the MCAT at the same time. Since I took it later, it had been 5-6 years since I've taken some of the core classes (like Physics and G-Chem), so PS was particularly difficult for me and I spent most of my time studying for that section. But I still scored much better on my practice tests just before the real thing (I was scoring ~33), so I'm not exactly sure what happened. That was my first time taking the MCAT and I decided not to retake in order to have my application completed somewhat early.

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If they ask, tell them that you were doing better on your practice test consistently, and you were shocked your score was not higher. But you don't think it reflects your knowledge or abilities and you didn't think it was worth retaking in your situation.

Don't make it a bigger deal than necessary. Stay upbeat.