Explaining Osteopathic Medicine to Others

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vmgopal

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I am a senior at the University of Wisconsin. Ill be applying to MD and DO schools this summer.

I was wondering say I end up matriculating to a DO medical school. What are things that you'd say to family/close friends to explain to them what Osteopathic Medical School is?

I would like to explain their philosophies differnece from allopathic and also tell them about all the similarities that make them everday medical doctors as well.

But you know people can hav etheir own mindsets...is it just better to be Im going to med school in Arizona...and thats all....no specifics?

What would you do? :)

Members don't see this ad.

mom/dad..you need to explain wat it is...aunts/uncles/cousins...just say med skoo

There's really not that big a difference in my opinion and have never felt the need to explain that I'm becoming a doctor--that is what one becomes when accepted into any med school whether it be DO/MD. I'm going to medical school point blank. Now, if any one asked me if I was going to an osteo or allo med school--I'd tell 'em. I guess I don't feel like it needs to be explained, a medical doctor is a medical doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you think the person doesn't won't give a $hit what you say...and will have their pre-conceived notions no matter what...then just tell them you do all the same stuff and make the same money (the $$ is what most lay people actually care about...)

If you really want to educate someone..and that someone really wants to listen.....I find that it is best to start out with the similarities and then go into the differences.

I usually start off by stating that
1. most people don't realize that there are 2 medical degrees in the country

2. Both MD's and DO's work side-by-side doing the same jobs and making the same money.

3. DO's have more of a primary care/patient centered focus vs. the research/technology focus of the majority of MD schools, however DO's don't have to be primary care and can/do specialize in whatever they want.

4. DO's learn a form of hands-on musculoskeletal medicine that can be used to treat many common problems such as back pain, muscle pains and headaches. They are also trained from Day 1 to be able to diagnose musculoskeletal problems with their hands.

5. DO's can choose to not practice with the parts that make them distinct from MD's and many do just that...ie their is no distinction in practice with many MD's/DO's. There are certain specialties where the distinct parts of Osteopathic Medicine are really prevalant, ie Sports Med, PM&R and Family Practice.

6. In the end it is up to the individual person how much they follow Osteopathic ideals/tecniques...but they, at the minimum, are Physicians and are trained and liscenced to do everything that people are used to Doctors doing.

This is the model of "the schpiel" that I have found most effective with people. Some people really won't care what you have to say and will forever believe that only MD's are Doctors....ignorance is bliss for some...not much else you can say about it....just don't get upset about it. You can reccommend to those people that next time they are in the hospital they take a look at the wall where it lists all the Doctors names and next to it (if they list degrees...some just say Doc for MD/DO) they should see some DO's. The best is when people come back to you and say something along the lines of "I had no idea that my Doctor that I've been going to for all these years, and really like, is a DO...I guess they are real Doctors".

Just don't get frustrated....not everyone is as into the healthcare professions as much as us....even I didn't know what a DO was until sophmore year of college....

so how much do DO's make?

Ugly Boy said:

About $10 an hour, but $11 on Sundays.

That's why DO's usually work 20 hour shifts on Sundays.

How much? As much as any other doctor!!!!!!!!!

2002 Median Salaries:

Family Practice, Pediatrics, Internists: $150,000

General Surgeons: $250,000

Anathesiologists and other Speciaists: $300,000

It has nothing to do with your type of medical degree More WHERE YOU PRACTICE, and WHAT FIELD/Specialty your IN :)

Ugly Boy said:
Are folks for real when they ask this type of questions?

unfortunately yes....I'll admit to wondering the same thing during college and actually went online to look it up....

Thanks for all your advice.

Esp "the schpiel" TAUS...very helpful! Actually I am considering PCOM and AZCOM for DO aplications schools and will be applying to a few MD schools to this summer.

I have a friend at PCOM now he's an M-II, he really says great things about it. Thats how I go interested in DO schools.

Glad that I was able to help.....just remember to never get frustrated w/ it....people need to learn about it somehow...just as we all did....

Good luck w/ the application process

vmgopal said:
I was wondering say I end up matriculating to a DO medical school. What are things that you'd say to family/close friends to explain to them what Osteopathic Medical School is?

Hey, it kind of sounds like "coming out" to your family and friends: "Mom, Dad...I need to tell you something. I think it be best if you sit…I'm an Osteopath. :laugh: Just kidding!

I think that your family and friends will support you not matter what you decide. If they ask, "What is osteopathic medicine?” I would explain it to them. Otherwise, it is entirely OK to say, "I'm going to medical school." because you will be attending medical school, with an Osteopathic Philosophy.

One of my pet peeves is when my DO friends go around and feel like they need to explain their decision to everyone. While I am sure that a few of them do this out of pride for the DO philosophy/practice, most sound very defensive and act slightly ashamed (even if this is not their intention).

If I were you, I would let it ride and answer questions when they come up. As far as I am concerned, medical school is medical school and a doctor is a doctor. I may be reading too much into your post, but I am sure others have experienced this phenomenon and are not happy that it is happening.

-DrL

vmgopal said:
Hi All!

I am a senior at the University of Wisconsin. Ill be applying to MD and DO schools this summer.

I would like to explain their philosophies differnece from allopathic and also tell them about all the similarities that make them everday medical doctors as well.

But you know people can hav etheir own mindsets...is it just better to be Im going to med school in Arizona...and thats all....no specifics?

What would you do? :)

With all honesty, unless you know of a bias I wouldn't even worry about explaining anything. I have only seen bias on this forum (at the pre-med level) and with older people who have really never grew up with D.O. That being said, after you explain to most people that: A) you are a physician, B)You make the same amount of money and C)You can do anything an M.D. can do, you are usually set.

Oculus Sinistra said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA. You cocky mofo you.

I just say that they used to be more different than they are now. That there aren't too many differences these days. And that DO's also learn some manipulative techniques (I succumb to saying "chiropractic-like", cause that's all the Average Joe is going to be able to relate to)

Oculus Sinistra said:

Is that what you make flipping burgers at Mcdonalds? They are overpaying you for sure. Good luck with that! :laugh:

Taus said:
If you think the person doesn't won't give a $hit what you say...and will have their pre-conceived notions no matter what...then just tell them you do all the same stuff and make the same money (the $$ is what most lay people actually care about...)

If you really want to educate someone..and that someone really wants to listen.....I find that it is best to start out with the similarities and then go into the differences.

I usually start off by stating that
1. most people don't realize that there are 2 medical degrees in the country

2. Both MD's and DO's work side-by-side doing the same jobs and making the same money.

3. DO's have more of a primary care/patient centered focus vs. the research/technology focus of the majority of MD schools, however DO's don't have to be primary care and can/do specialize in whatever they want.

4. DO's learn a form of hands-on musculoskeletal medicine that can be used to treat many common problems such as back pain, muscle pains and headaches. They are also trained from Day 1 to be able to diagnose musculoskeletal problems with their hands.

5. DO's can choose to not practice with the parts that make them distinct from MD's and many do just that...ie their is no distinction in practice with many MD's/DO's. There are certain specialties where the distinct parts of Osteopathic Medicine are really prevalant, ie Sports Med, PM&R and Family Practice.

6. In the end it is up to the individual person how much they follow Osteopathic ideals/tecniques...but they, at the minimum, are Physicians and are trained and liscenced to do everything that people are used to Doctors doing.

This is the model of "the schpiel" that I have found most effective with people. Some people really won't care what you have to say and will forever believe that only MD's are Doctors....ignorance is bliss for some...not much else you can say about it....just don't get upset about it. You can reccommend to those people that next time they are in the hospital they take a look at the wall where it lists all the Doctors names and next to it (if they list degrees...some just say Doc for MD/DO) they should see some DO's. The best is when people come back to you and say something along the lines of "I had no idea that my Doctor that I've been going to for all these years, and really like, is a DO...I guess they are real Doctors".

Just don't get frustrated....not everyone is as into the healthcare professions as much as us....even I didn't know what a DO was until sophmore year of college....

Very well stated. :thumbup: