Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Explaining Why You want to be a Doc

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Yogi Bear, Oct 26, 2001.

1. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member

Hi,

I'm interested in what motivates you to become a doctor, and how you aproach explaining your reasons during interviews.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Street Philosopher

prestige 90%
    egoistic fulfillment (competition) 5%
    $$$ 5%

:D

In all seriousness, I'd have to say all of the above three have some part in my desire (though not quite as high of course!). Yet I think the main thing driving a vast majority of doctors is either the love of the practice or altruistic tendencies. After all, there's a lot of other jobs in the world that are prestigious and pays much more money.

4. Resident Alien

I have yet to see someone satisfied by an explanation. I guess there are a million correct answers.

5. rockaway

rockaway Member

just my humble opinion, but I do think an awful lot of schools are realizing the drawbacks to having previously admitted only those students with high GPA/MCAT #'s and no personality. This was most obvious with the advent of managed care/HMO's...patients became consumers...able to voice their satsfaction, or lack thereof, with their MD's...as a nurse, I've seen a huge difference, patients are more educated about healthcare and are not afraid to choose an MD not only for thier reputation, but also their attitude and personality. They do not want to be cared for by a pompous, intimidating, inacessable robotic person. In recent years prospective med students with high #'s are shocked if they are rejected by a school, not realizing that schools are getting better and better in the interview process at recognizing a persons genuine sincerity as opposed to "I'm telling you everything you want to hear"...it's hard to fake a good personality...you either have one or you don't..patients can ascertain this pretty well as well as admissions committees...BUT!! who created this problem of having self absorbed premed students define the meaning of their very existence and self worth based on the almighty GPA/MCAT combo?? there is much more to life!!

6. MorningLight2100

MorningLight2100 Senior Member

Well said rockaway!!!! As for the final question: a true -- and disturbing!! -- mystery that has baffled scores of "less intense" pre-meds for ages. Well, at least for as long as I've been in this business. :)

7. minh

minh New Member

I don't think there's any one correct answer, when approaching that type of question. I think as long as you are genuine in your thoughts and feelings, any admissions committee will be able to see your true desire of wanting to become a doctor.

8. CardiacGuy

CardiacGuy Member

Meddude,

For me, it's a personal thing to go into med school. I've had a couple of instances where close family members have been ill and I really didn't like not being able to explain what was going on or being able to do anything about it. Not only that, but the doc's that did the explaining to my family were less than exemplary with their communication skills. If I can keep the fact that I'm no better than anyone else in my head, then I can truly help those who need it and their families.

9. NE_Cornhusker1

NE_Cornhusker1 12" Member

I look good in a set of scrubs. Actually the I figured out one day in physio lab(while "operating" on a frog) that I wanted to be a doctor. As a result I did pretty average my first three years of college. I should have figured out that medicine was my calling much earlier in life, I like helping people, blood guts and gore don't bother me at all, and most importantly I was the Riley Elementary School Champion in Operation (the game).

10. tidy_kiwi

tidy_kiwi Senior Member

LOL!!!! That is excellent.

At least you didn't start out by saying that it was Phase 1 in your bid for global domination.....

11. snowballz

snowballz Senior Member

Here goes..

Well, my desire stems from my daugthers death. She was in the hospital her entire life, therefore, I viewed doctors jobs, residents, attendings, med students..also nurses, etc. everyday. I fell in love with medicine. I thought what everyone did, and the knowledge they had was fascinating. I remember the emotions I went through when dealing with her illnesses, and eventually the day long wait for her death. I hope I can use that knowledge and experience to help others...this is why I am so passionate about medicine. For me, it has nothing to do with prestige or money, but everything to do with living on with my daugthers memory and using the passions she instilled in me to help other kids.

When my daugther died, I vowed that I would work to save other childrens lives or assist them and their parents in the end of life process. I view my experience with Elizabeth as the most valuable one ever in my life...and I intend to use my emotions, current and past, to fuel my motivation and desire for medicine.

Alicia

12. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Mine comes from my 20 years with Type I diabetes. I got it when I was 8, and was soon exposed to what this disease could do to the human body. It freaked me out so much, I've been nothing but anal about my control. Problem is, many people aren't and they go downhill - and once it starts, it nearly impossible to stop or reverse. So, at even that young age, I knew this was what I wanted to do, and help people with diabetes see the disease in the same light that I do.

Although I am nervous about mentioning any of this to adcoms.

Andrew

13. gooloogooloo

gooloogooloo Senior Member

YOU ARE SERIOUSLY FREAKING SPEAKING OUT OF MY HEART!!!! I LOVE AND COMPLETELY AGREE WITH WHAT YOU JUST SAID. I PERSONALLY BELIEVE ALL ADDCOM SHOULD READ YOUR WORDS!!!

14. gooloogooloo

after reading reasons you guyes want to become MD, I am only more intimidated with this board now.

People here not only have 3.7+/33+, not only have 5 ECs, not only have X years of research, published X numbers of papers, they even have reasons so impressive for going into med school.

Holy cow, what am I in comparison with these people? Are there all super genius and national champion in this site? Any ordinary, or even in-trouble folk, like me?

15. gooloogooloo

BTW, in responding this thread, every time when I answer this question to people, (why....), I would always want to cry.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. E'01

E'01 1K Member

Medical Student
    It all started when I was diagnosed with Asthma at the age of after 5. Along with several hospitalizations due to asthma and pneumonia I've always held a deep respect for those who nursed me back to health. To explore the health arena I became very involved in health-related activities beginning at the age of 15. Medicine is also particularly appealing to me because it is the only field that I know of that combines so many facets such as education, research, and mentoring with healthcare. Lastly, my desire to become a physician has been strengthened by the fact that there is a great need for more physicians of color to practice in underserved areas and I feel that it is a personal endeavor I need to acheive for the sake of my community.

18. Bruin4Life

Bruin4Life Senior Member

As a child I remember accompanying my mother to the County Hospital, where she recieved her healthcare. Though I was only seven, I knew enough English to translate my mother's health needs to the triage nurse. Many years later while in college I returned to the same County Hospital and served as a Spanish-English interpreter.

Because of my intimate awareness of the healthcare of the medically-underserved, I have worked dilgently toward becoming a physician in hopes of serving their health needs.

19. Daredevil

Daredevil Senior Member

Attending Physician
    bump (interesting thread)

20. SMW

SMW Grand Member

My decision to apply to medical school is also rooted in family history, although without quite the personal drama or trauma some of you have so impressively described. I agree with minh that genuineness in answering this, and any other, question is key.

21. MorningLight2100

MorningLight2100 Senior Member

Ever since childhood, I realized how fortunate I was in life, and I knew that whatever career I chose, I wanted to do what I could to "give back" to a world that offered me so much. At first, I thought I would accomplish this through writing, my real (only? :) ) talent; but I wasn't at all PASSIONATE about writing. In addition, it didn't offer me the intellectual challenges that I constantly sought. Still, stumped as to what else I could do, I settled for that goal for years.

During my senior year of high school, my father, who has suffered from kidney disease (focal glomerulosclerosis) since before I was born, suffered a heart attack and underwent triple bypass surgery. I'd seen my dad in horrible states before - hooked up to dialysis, recovering from his kidney transplant, wincing in pain from his gout...but that time in the hospital, before his bypass, for the first time in my life I was truly frightened that he wouldn't come home to us. I'd never seen him so pale before.

Four years later, he's doing beautifully; back at work teaching students, even running on the treadmill every morning. When I first realized the gift his physicians had granted us, I knew that THIS was my niche. I was taking AP Chemistry and AP Bio at the time, and had fallen in love with the sciences...I realized that, as a field, medicine offered the perfect blend of science and humanity, coupled with the ability to enhance the lives of others. The challenges, the problem-solving...returning a father to his family....

Honestly, I can't imagine a more exciting career path!

22. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Enzyme Regulators, Ride!

Am I the only one that like, wants to go into medicine because, like, "ER" is the greatest show ever? :eek: ;)

Actually, my interest in medicine came about through an undergrad research opportunity in the Sleep & Aging Clinic at my local university. I came into the hospital one night to observe patients with disturbed sleep (EEG prep, monitoring, etc.) and found myself more fascinated with what was going on around me. This led to volunteer work at the hospital and a job at a nearby medical center doing patient transport for the Medical Imaging department. Throw in an aptitude and general love for the biological sciences and Blam-o! Here I am... dh

23. rajneel1

rajneel1 Senior Member

that is the hardest question to answer. every once in a while i hear of my family members being treated badly at a hospital in a local area in my home country. i can't tell you how pissed off that makes me. i usually start with that at an interview. i try to explain it.
    i also enjoy the companionship and teamwork in medicine. the ability to be responsible for a patient. the chance to help people NOW and not later. work with lots of different people, everyday is different, teach, do research, be the head of this and that. make a difference.

24. ducam

ducam Pearl Diver

Well, me wanting to be a doctor all started when i was 3 (clouds and flashback)....i went as a doctor for halloween dressed up with the white plastic coat. I was encouraged further when i was 5, when i got "Operation" as a gift and completed the whole thing (no touches) in 5 minutes after opening the box, when i was 7 i began to be intrested when i went to the doctors with all of his cool instruments. Later i became an avid whatcher of the health channel and dicovery channel, along with ER.

Now that my childhood is over, i still want to be a doctor because those guys on "General Hospital" get all the ladies.