Explanation of early-decision program guidelines?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NameHere1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be applying to medical school for the third time this coming cycle (2014-2015). I have had it up to here with the whole application process, and I want to make this next cycle as painless as possible.

I have been looking into early-decision programs (EDP) and I have learned that you are prevented from applying to additional schools as a regular applicant until after October 1.

If not accepted under the EDP, applicants will automatically be placed in the regular applicant pool by the school and may then apply to additional schools.

However, there are a few things about EDP that were not clear to me from the AAMC guidelines.

1.) I was wondering if anybody could let me know if I can apply early-decision to both an MD and a DO school in the same application cycle?​

2.) Or, can I apply early decision to an MD program then apply early (not EDP) as a regular applicant to DO programs also in the same cycle?​

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to be applying to medical school for the third time this coming cycle (2014-2015). I have had it up to here with the whole application process, and I want to make this next cycle as painless as possible.

I have been looking into early-decision programs (EDP) and I have learned that you are prevented from applying to additional schools as a regular applicant until after October 1.

However, there are a few things about EDP that were not clear to me from the AAMC guidelines.

1.) I was wondering if anybody could let me know if I can apply early-decision to both an MD and a DO school in the same application cycle?​

2.) Or, can I apply early decision to an MD program then apply early (not EDP) as a regular applicant to DO programs also in the same cycle?​
Yes and yes because AMCAS and AACOMAS are completely separate. Personally, I wouldn't apply early decision in your case though. I would just apply early. That said, what's been holding you back? GPA? MCAT? Applying late? Many of us can offer better advice if we knew your stats, ECs, etc. as well as what you did the two previous cycles.