Expository Writing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unique135

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am taking a course in communication in my university. I was wondering if it does fit in for expository writing - english requirements. The course description is as follows:

CMN 600 Science, Communication and Society
In today's world, science is a dominant and complex industry that fundamentally affects everyone. This course examines how critical scientific issues are communicated to science's major stakeholders, the public and government, and within the scientific community itself. What works, what doesn't, and why? In today's multi-channel, electronic and media-dominated society, which communication strategies work best to ensure that large, complex issues of vital importance are communicated clearly and concisely? Significant cases will be examined in a Canadian context, challenging students to grapple with how science is - and should be - communicated in its real social context.
Lect: 3 hrs.
Course Weight: 1.00

Also, I had emailed the professor and she replied that it is likely qualifying since we do have lot of writings to do; but not absolutely certain in context of university's particular requirment.

Overall, this course does require students to put their ideas and thoughts towards general public.

So if you could please kindly help me.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I am taking a course in communication in my university. I was wondering if it does fit in for expository writing - english requirements. The course description is as follows:

CMN 600 Science, Communication and Society
In today's world, science is a dominant and complex industry that fundamentally affects everyone. This course examines how critical scientific issues are communicated to science's major stakeholders, the public and government, and within the scientific community itself. What works, what doesn't, and why? In today's multi-channel, electronic and media-dominated society, which communication strategies work best to ensure that large, complex issues of vital importance are communicated clearly and concisely? Significant cases will be examined in a Canadian context, challenging students to grapple with how science is - and should be - communicated in its real social context.
Lect: 3 hrs.
Course Weight: 1.00

Also, I had emailed the professor and she replied that it is likely qualifying since we do have lot of writings to do; but not absolutely certain in context of university's particular requirment.

Overall, this course does require students to put their ideas and thoughts towards general public.

So if you could please kindly help me.

Thank you

IMO, this would not count as an English/Writing class (not exactly sure where in the spectrum it would fall), but English classes usually require you to read classic or modern lit and Writing courses focus on generating essays on a variety of topics. Just because you have to write a paper for a class doesn't make it an Expository Writing class :)

Sorry If i am getting it wrong or provided incomplete information.

In my opinion, expository writing means the expression of ideas or information in oral or written form to general public.

The idea of course is to connect the researchers and the general audience and informing the audience about the science field. The course has class participation weightage for expressing their views and 3-4 essays that are targetted on informing the general audience on particular information.

It is more of writing for newspaper as well as for science magazines.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry If i am getting it wrong or provided incomplete information.

In my opinion, expository writing means the expression of ideas or information in oral or written form to general public.

The idea of course is to connect the researchers and the general audience and informing the audience about the science field. The course has class participation weightage for expressing their views and 3-4 essays that are targetted on informing the general audience on particular information.

It is more of writing for newspaper as well as for science magazines.

Shrugs, you asked for my opinion and I gave it. Ultimately, it won't be up to either you or me anyway. I'd try to email someone at AMCAS about which category this class would fall under.

Shrugs, you asked for my opinion and I gave it. Ultimately, it won't be up to either you or me anyway. I'd try to email someone at AMCAS about which category this class would fall under.

aznb0y129, thank you very much and I really appreciate it. I just want to be more clear thats it. :)

The requirements don't really have anything to do with AMCAS...it's the schools. There are definitely some that only require that the course involve expository writing...not neccessarily English lit. You should contact them individually.

The requirements don't really have anything to do with AMCAS...it's the schools. There are definitely some that only require that the course involve expository writing...not neccessarily English lit. You should contact them individually.

I meant that when you fill out your primary, you have to classify each course as English, Science, etc. and then AMCAS verifies it. If the OP puts this class down as English, they might change it to something else when he goes through verification, so you might want to see if they can help as well. But yes, you can also contact individual schools.

If you're trying to fulfill a requirement of 1 year of english, I'd hesitate to do it with that class. I took two semesters of classes with an ENGL prefix just to be safe.

OTOH, everybody at my school takes a PSYCH prefix course for statistics. I took a MATH prefix course, again just to be sure that I meet the 1 year of math requirement. So maybe I'm just paranoid and my advice is overkill.