Extended MCAT prep plans: Please advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeblue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have found it too difficult to study for the MCAT and get it done in only 2-3 months. There's always a lag time, a time to review the content, take enough practice passages, test and then review THEM ALL and RE-learn how to train your mind to attack differently.

I tried to study for the MCAT in June-August with early Sept test date. However, I was only getting high 20s on AAMC so decided to void the test.

I think that since my ugrad gpa is 3.2 (from top 5 undergrad/ difficult engineering program) and will be doing a post-bac in fall (just bio-classes at local public university) to show that I have discipline/focus/concentration.

I realize that I need a longer prep time, the Kaplan material wasn't the end all (and have since started on EK Verbal, etc).

So will it be realistic for me to prep for the Jan exam with 8 months of prep? That's really the earliest exam data possible outside of the summer.

I don't think the discipline is a problem / motivation is a problem for me (esp now that i'm apply so close and the important of MCAT in getting me interviews, etc).

Advantages:
-strong, steady prep, time to observe and shift / change the way of looking questions
-time to focus on weak spots (physics, certain bio) and boost up on verbal (practice with good review makes perfect).
-Last 2.5 months late Nov-Jan: time to takes lot of practice tests and review them.

Disadvantages:
Possiblity forgetting the material, although with lots of review, and doing phys/bio/chem co-currently, it shouldn't be that bad.
"longer" prep time--but not a disadvantage IMO

Additionally, I'm getting BR PHYSICS, should I get BR Chem and OChem too? For bio: EK and kAPLAN and possibly the TPR Hyderlearning book OK?
There didn't seem to be much CHEM on the Sept 2010 MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a very similar situation as far as ugpa/future plans, with a test date in September. But, if I were you, I would consider studying again using these new books you have. The Kaplan books are not good enough. I suggest you follow SN2ed's schedule (it is a sticky) and get the books he recommends, which are all of the TBR books except verbal, EK 101 Verbal/TPR HYP Verbal. 8 Months is way too much time and the most important thing for the mcat is practice. You just need better quality practice materials.

I'm sure you are aware that you are the only person qualified to know what you are capable of. Anything anyone else on this forum can advise you should be taken for a grain of NaCl since every person differs so much. Just do what you think will yield the best results (lol?).

I have found it too difficult to study for the MCAT and get it done in only 2-3 months. There's always a lag time, a time to review the content, take enough practice passages, test and then review THEM ALL and RE-learn how to train your mind to attack differently.

I tried to study for the MCAT in June-August with early Sept test date. However, I was only getting high 20s on AAMC so decided to void the test.

I think that since my ugrad gpa is 3.2 (from top 5 undergrad/ difficult engineering program) and will be doing a post-bac in fall (just bio-classes at local public university) to show that I have discipline/focus/concentration.

I realize that I need a longer prep time, the Kaplan material wasn't the end all (and have since started on EK Verbal, etc).

So will it be realistic for me to prep for the Jan exam with 8 months of prep? That's really the earliest exam data possible outside of the summer.

I don't think the discipline is a problem / motivation is a problem for me (esp now that i'm apply so close and the important of MCAT in getting me interviews, etc).

Advantages:
-strong, steady prep, time to observe and shift / change the way of looking questions
-time to focus on weak spots (physics, certain bio) and boost up on verbal (practice with good review makes perfect).
-Last 2.5 months late Nov-Jan: time to takes lot of practice tests and review them.

Disadvantages:
Possiblity forgetting the material, although with lots of review, and doing phys/bio/chem co-currently, it shouldn't be that bad.
"longer" prep time--but not a disadvantage IMO

Additionally, I'm getting BR PHYSICS, should I get BR Chem and OChem too? For bio: EK and kAPLAN and possibly the TPR Hyderlearning book OK?
There didn't seem to be much CHEM on the Sept 2010 MCAT.

wut

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure you are aware that you are the only person qualified to know what you are capable of. Anything anyone else on this forum can advise you should be taken for a grain of NaCl since every person differs so much. Just do what you think will yield the best results (lol?).

Ditto!

WIll post my plan/schuduel soon , THANKS!

but to answer quickly to the recent poster: engineering physics is very different than doing MCAT Physics, (YES) and the engineering stuff i do (modeling, programming, complex equations and models) don not SHOW UP on the MCAT. so very different.

again as the other person said, I know what I NEED to do as everyone is VERY different.

My schuduel will be:

***Phase I*****:
May - June: Finish BR PHYSICS, CHEM; 6 VR passages / week timed.
July - August: OCHEM,BIO 6 VR passages / week timed.

5 FLts (one every month)

******Phase II*****:
August-Sept: Do full-sections PHYS + Verbal passages--all timed
Oct-Nov: Do full sections BIO + verbal passages--all timed.

8 Full lengths ( 2 every month) every other weekend.

*****Phase II************:
Dec-Jan (-6 weeks): 18 FLTs and review the tests; some material review (topics only)( 3 per week)

Total: 30 FLTs.

Last edited:
My schuduel will be:

***Phase I*****:

5 FLts (one every month)

******Phase II*****:

Dec-Jan (-6 weeks): 18 FLTs and review the tests; some material review (topics only)( 3 per week)

No offense but 30 full lengths is a ticket to burn out and studying over the course of 9 months it will be difficult to retain all of the detail and keep the motivation you need. I too don't feel like 2-3 months is enough so I'm basically doing 3 months of light prep work followed by 2 months of intensive study. I think that studying for much more than 5 months is overkill though. Also, try to do your content review first, then move on to a phase where you take practice tests, review them, identify what you got wrong and then do focused content review on those subjects before taking the next practice test. If you start taking practice tests before doing all the content review you aren't going to score well because there will be items you haven't reviewed yet.

Anyway just my 2 cents, everyone has there own way of approaching things so in the end you need to do it in a way you are comfortable with.

My schuduel will be:

***Phase I*****:

5 FLts (one every month)

******Phase II*****:

Just a pre-warning. If you space out your schedule like that, chances are you'll forget a lot of earlier concepts. For the first portion of your schedule, at least try to fit in some 1001s from EK because the only way stuff will stick is through repetition and practice.

No offense but 30 full lengths is a ticket to burn out and studying over the course of 9 months it will be difficult to retain all of the detail and keep the motivation you need. I too don't feel like 2-3 months is enough so I'm basically doing 3 months of light prep work followed by 2 months of intensive study. I think that studying for much more than 5 months is overkill though. Also, try to do your content review first, then move on to a phase where you take practice tests, review them, identify what you got wrong and then do focused content review on those subjects before taking the next practice test. If you start taking practice tests before doing all the content review you aren't going to score well because there will be items you haven't reviewed yet.

I don't think it should take too long for content review, granted that I studied for it only 8 months ago and the actual content of the MCAT isn't in depth knowledge. But yes will review, also taking the exams helps in review concepts and test taking strategy too, unfortunately people are sometimes too hung up on the contend and realize that the important this TO learn to take the test :)

dicipline/motivation wouldn't be a problem for me given my circumstances and maturity/age.

That is not how I would do things at all, but whatever works for you.

30FL's is excessive as hell as is studying for 8 effing months...

If discipline/motivation isn't a problem for you given your circumstance and maturity, why can't you do it faster. If the actual content of the MCAT is not indepth knowledge, then why is it taking you 8 effing months to study?

If you start studying in may, you should be able to finish and take the test by september, if not august...

And if it takes you so long to study for one 'not in depth' test, then how are you going to balance studying for a ton of in depth subjects at once.

Last edited:
Thanks for your very polite words, ridethecliche.
I do hope that your worldview to describe others will be more than just 'effing' by the time you are more mature and have seen the world.

I studied consistently and was getting late 20s in 2 months. 3 months wouldnt be enough and after september the next date is Jan. I have to spend more time than the aveg. student b.c i HAVE To do better than most to help my stats majorly.

I will worry about the other stuff when time comes. Judging from my academic record since age 16, I do not have a problem with a heavier course load.

That is not how I would do things at all, but whatever works for you.

30FL's is excessive as hell as is studying for 8 effing months...

If discipline/motivation isn't a problem for you given your circumstance and maturity, why can't you do it faster. If the actual content of the MCAT is not indepth knowledge, then why is it taking you 8 effing months to study?

If you start studying in may, you should be able to finish and take the test by september, if not august...

And if it takes you so long to study for one 'not in depth' test, then how are you going to balance studying for a ton of in depth subjects at once.

Actually on second though, maybe instead of facing the challenge/fear, I may be just placating myself.

May/end August - end of August is best time. Sept 10 would be a great test day for me. 4 months of prep time is more than enough with last month = full of FL's and other months = 2 test/month.

That's really all the time I will ever have. Setting aside a Jan test date (While i LIKE the idea of longer prep time) likely to not be as effective and more of just a time suck.

i will have post-bac classes starting on August 22nd and test will be 3rd week of classes, but I think I should be doing OK w/t that. No too stressful, hopefully, managed

Thanks for your very polite words, ridethecliche.

Thanks. I do what I can.

I do hope that your worldview to describe others will be more than just 'effing' by the time you are more mature and have seen the world.

Reading comprehension. I was describing the duration and not you.
8 effing months is excessive.

None of my comments were defamatory towards your character, so I would suggest heeding your advice. Don't worry, I don't take it personally, but you're in no place to comment on my maturity, character, or what I have/have not seen of the world.

I will worry about the other stuff when time comes. Judging from my academic record since age 16, I do not have a problem with a heavier course load.

Then why are you in a post-bac? Did you not finish your pre-reqs in undergrad or did you decide that you wanted to do medicine later in life?

Actually on second though, maybe instead of facing the challenge/fear, I may be just placating myself.

May/end August - end of August is best time. Sept 10 would be a great test day for me. 4 months of prep time is more than enough with last month = full of FL's and other months = 2 test/month.

That's really all the time I will ever have. Setting aside a Jan test date (While i LIKE the idea of longer prep time) likely to not be as effective and more of just a time suck.

i will have post-bac classes starting on August 22nd and test will be 3rd week of classes, but I think I should be doing OK w/t that. No too stressful, hopefully, managed

I think that should work. In the last 3 weeks, you should be taking practice exams, hitting your weak spots, and working to keep your nerves. I think it might work well with your courseload depending on how good you are at time management.

Good luck! You can do it!

Thanks. I do what I can.

Then why are you in a post-bac? Did you not finish your pre-reqs in undergrad or did you decide that you wanted to do medicine later in life?

!

3.2 total GPA . I dont' want to blame it on a very challenging engineering, but in retrospect, I would have really enjoyed my college life more as a premed major (1-2 or 3 interesting science classes) + humaniites class.

So it was recommended by a med school admission dean and the pre-med advisor that i take 2 semester of solid bio to show that I can get straight A's and can do the work (focus, concentration, dicipline).

Despite being an American for more than 1/2 my life, I am actually not aware of certain slang words like 'effing' and because I'm so sensitive about this topic, I may have intrepreted as a more malicious that what you intended :) Hope all is well.

I think 8 months prep may be just my way of not really facing the MCAT, and just placating myself. Actually 8 month prep could not work out in my favor and may even leave me worst prepped out for the MCAT.

Last edited:
3.2 total GPA . I dont' want to blame it on a very challenging engineering, but in retrospect, I would have really enjoyed my college life more as a premed major (1-2 or 3 interesting science classes) + humaniites class.

So it was recommended by a med school admission dean and the pre-med advisor that i take 2 semester of solid bio to show that I can get straight A's and can do the work (focus, concentration, dicipline).

Despite being an American for more than 1/2 my life, I am actually not aware of certain slang words like 'effing' and because I'm so sensitive about this topic, I may have intrepreted as a more malicious that what you intended :) Hope all is well.

I think 8 months prep may be just my way of not really facing the MCAT, and just placating myself. Actually 8 month prep could not work out in my favor and may even leave me worst prepped out for the MCAT.

Now you're getting it!

Set aside 3-4 months. Figure out how you want to study, whether it is with a course, SN2ED's schedule, or your own schedule. Then do it.

That 'focus, concentration, and discipline' that you're trying to show is what matters most here.

And fwiw, I use effing and bloody interchangeably.

Thank you for hitting me on my weak points.

1) Overcome 'fear' and personal limitations.
2) 3-4 months is all you need. this is how everyone who is in med school did it. 8 months is just a psychological refugee camp that I am putting myself into that is not useful or whilewhile or even going to led to a good score.

Somehow i think 8 months of constent prep will help get the score/break in but the truth is that it is NOT possible to do that for 8 months and only 4 of those months will really really count...

ah..
THANKS!!!

So here's the thing.

I'm taking the exam in may and I started studying in Jan.

The studying I did in jan was useless, but if I'd known about SDN and been on here before I started studying, I would have done things very differently. I would probably have used SN2ED's schedule to put things together.

Instead I did things my way, which was basically figuring out what worked and what didn't as I went along. This took a TON of time.

The TBR books here reign supreme. If you want something to adhere to and motivate you, I would do Sn2ed's schedule for the 4 month period if you want more time. You just have to be disciplined and adhere to that.

I'm finding things out the hard way and it has been pretty inefficient at times. I don't recommend struggling through it if there exists a proven method.

I would recommend picking up an EK set as a reference just in case you want to see something differently. You're buying their bio book anyway...